What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Yeah, 747 is still one of my favorite airliners and so versital too. Sure there was some computer technology used for calculations. But all drawings were done using conventional drafting methods with rooms full of designers, engineers and scientists at drafting tables. The 777 which is also an awesome plane, was the first to be fully 3D modeled in SW starting back in the late 80's.
The 777 is a superb airliner. Especially for the airlines. But even as a high mileage international flyer for most of my life I will always stop and watch a 747 on landing approach. Every other airliner with the exception of the Concorde is just humdrum in comparison. Sad the Queen Of The Skies time is coming to an end after close to 50 years

The 777 is a superb airliner. Especially for the airlines. But even as a high mileage international flyer for most of my life I will always stop and watch a 747 on landing approach. Every other airliner with the exception of the Concorde is just humdrum in comparison. Sad the Queen Of The Skies time is coming to an end after close to 50 years
747 is one of my favorites too. And the C-130, only because I jumped out of them an they fly them through hurricanes.
But the 747 has to be good. Iron Maiden certainly thinks so.
iron maien 747.png

My brother flies Airbus 319's an 20's. Says they're so automated now he could teach a monkey to fly it.
He misses the manual stuff much of the time. Says he feels like a bus driver.
Too automated I've heard or at least the training of pilots by some airlines on what happens when it all goes in the dumper and they have to use manual thrust etc in an emergency apparently it's quite difficult.

This constitutes the "more" part of the thread. To tie it all together, I just wonder what big band the pilots preferred to listen to in the pilots lounge??
My Grandfather's favorite across North Africa an up Italy was Artie Shaw's big band.
Power
P-51D Mustang
1 x Packard V-1650-7 Merlin liquid-cooled inline piston engine developing 1,590 horsepower.

Vought F4U-4 Corsair
1 x Pratt & Whitney R-2800-18W 18-cylinder "Double Wasp" two-row air-cooled radial piston engine developing 2,325 horsepower.

Some good answers. I agree a lot has to do with pilot skill, but going on empirical facts, I would say the Mustang. Two key facts:

1- In WWII the P-51 shot down some 2,000 fighters, the F4U about 1,200

2- the Mustang fought in Europe, the Corsair in the Pacific. Japanese fighters were not armored and easy to shoot down while German fighters were fast, tough and deadly so were a tougher opponent.

So between the Mustang getting more kills and those kills against excellent and deadly Luftwaffe fighters, pilot skill being equal the Mustang had a better record.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-win-a-dogfight-the-Corsair-or-the-Mustang
I have no dog in thus fight, but my dad was a B17 ball turret gunner during the German campaign. He knew first hand the skill and effectiveness of the P51 and its pilots.

Too automated I've heard or at least the training of pilots by some airlines on what happens when it all goes in the dumper and they have to use manual thrust etc in an emergency apparently it's quite difficult.
Yes that's the gist of it. Everyone does annual SIM training an there are always new situations thrown at them to learn.
Pilots get so used to the automated features they lose :touch" with the aircraft and rather than be in tune with the aircraft, they are told to "trust the electronics"
For the most part it's great, but he's had half a dozen times he had to kick off the auto stuff and yell "My controls" to get out of a jam.
Latest was a full abort on takeoff when a light came on the dash. They were at near lift speed and had to go back to terminal for some repair.
Naturally the passengers were terrified. What can you do? The book says a light goes off on the dash before lift you shut it down.
Everything's recorded. Every sensor, every communication. Everything is recorded. It;s all scientific now.

Back
Top Bottom