What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Mark Knopfler (a perennial favorite) 'Kill to Get Crimson'...

61OYXqnw-NL._SX425_.jpg

So I been eyeballing stylus upgrades. The stylus I am using was some no name that came with the system. It actually sounds okay, but with the Missions I am starting to realize it is the weak link in my modest system. I want to keep it cheap.

The contenders at this point seem to be Ortofon 2M Red, Nagaoka MP-110, Sumiko Pearl, Grado Prestige Black 2 (or maybe I could justify the Blue since it’s about the same price as the others). The table is a DD Yamaha and the arm has an adjustable mass but is listed as 11g (just over light mass specs). All the current candidates are at about the same price point with the exception of the Grado Prestige Black 2 which is a significantly less. I am thinking of going in that direction for the cost savings and from what I have read about the sound of that line of Grados. In particular on of the AKers posted at length about how quiet that cart is (among other good qualities). And eventually this will be on a second table mainly for older more questionable vinyl, so that sounds real appealing. Anyone have any comments, questions or advice they want to share before I pull the trigger? Also anyone know if the upgrade to the Grado Prestige Blue 2 is worth the extra $50?

Thanks in advance...

Ortofon 2M series - Forward sounding, detailed.
Nagaoka - Full, warm, rich, sounding
Grado - Mid range is what they are famous for.

That is what most say about those cartridges that I've read about them. If your going the Grado route, I highly recommend the 8MZ upgrade stylus!

Hey Fuzzy,

I run the Sure M91ED, They can be found for not so much $$ and try sound great. I've only listened to the Grado Gold and Silver, they were nice carts, I also have listened to the 2M red, mounted on a Music Hall 3.something. It was a nice set up.

I really like my M91ED and have not looked to upgrade for a good while, im sure other carts are better but for my set up it fits the bill well.

Good luck with it!

Kind Regards,
John

The best part of M91's are that so many very good styli are available for this classic cartridge.

My issue with Shure is similar to my issue with AT. Both make some great carts but I get lost in the alphabet soup of models and stylus options. I suppose that wouldn’t be a bad thing if I had more patience to sort through them. I will take another look at the M91 and thanks for the suggestions.

Ortofon 2M series - Forward sounding, detailed.
Nagaoka - Full, warm, rich, sounding
Grado - Mid range is what they are famous for.

That is what most say about those cartridges that I've read about them. If your going the Grado route, I highly recommend the 8MZ upgrade stylus!

I agree the 8MZ stylus sounds like the ultimate plan if I go Grado. My current system is a little clinical for my tastes with Yamaha and Mission being pretty much notorious for uncolored sound so not sure forward or midrange intensive is what I need to pair with them atm. And a dose of full, warm and rich might be a better combo especially with what I am running atm.

Thanks again all for the comments and suggestions,

:beerchug:

I agree the 8MZ stylus sounds like the ultimate plan if I go Grado. My current system is a little clinical for my tastes with Yamaha and Mission being pretty much notorious for uncolored sound so not sure forward or midrange intensive is what I need to pair with them atm. And a dose of full, warm and rich might be a better combo especially with what I am running atm.

Sounds like you need a Nagaoka, Fuzzy! :music:

Back
Top Bottom