What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Neil Diamond - Hot August Night - MFSL-2-024 on Pioneer CS-99a/99
index.php

Aspects of this album are still excellent. A little brassy in the mids tho. Pretty sure this is a 1st gen Bascombe.
But this transport is of the gods. It is what the Wadia 7 was built on. So between this and the 7 along with 1 Victor, the S1 Denon and the R10 Sony, we’re talking the lowest error rates of any disc spinners ever made. What a time ‘90 -‘96 was for the CD.
12C9FC32-95F3-4CC2-A18A-DE083299EE2A.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm listening to Mozart's Prague symphony (on the radio) through AR 18S speakers ( via a Marantz SR7500 receiver). However the woofers were replaced with some French jobs (Audax?) after I found them many years ago after being put on the curb with rotted surrounds. These woofers were on sale at Partsxpress at the time and had very good numbers. I suspect that they deliver not only better bass than the original but better midrange because of the more modern cone design - treated paper as I remember. They look like plastic from the front.

I find it interesting that the music totally changes character and soundstage as I raise and lower the volume.

I should also add they they are crossed over at 80 Hz to another curb find - Technical Sound Industries enclosures, gutted, modified and fitted with Dayton Classic 8" woofers - aligned with Boxplot. Side by side on the floor they make far better subwoofers than their modest price would imply. They are powered by a Carver TFM-6CB.

I sometimes think about building scratch designed enclosures for these speakers and restoring the Technical Sound Industries speakers to something approaching their original design. I still have the tweeters. They have real wood veneer. But I have too many speakers as it is and have no use for another set of full range speakers. TSI is rare but has no following that I know of.

The AR 18s is well regarded but if I managed to find original woofers, re-foam them and restored the speakers I doubt that I could sell them for the cost of said woofers. They suit my bedroom system just fine so they stay. I'm better off building replacements for the five other speakers in this 7.1 system. One has been disconnected due to WAF. This room has a distinct demarcation line between her side and mine. The surround speakers need to be mounted up near the ceiling. That would make a good thread. I'll post if I ever get to it - if I live along enough.

Back
Top Bottom