What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

sm%20ck%20prtrt%20f%20lgnd.jpg~original
sm%20ck%20prtrt%20f%20lgnd%202_cr.jpg~original

Sam Cooke / Portrait Of A Legend 1951-1964
2014 ABKCO

Just cracked the seal on this 180 gram two record set.

wOeXfiL.jpg

Well now, too lazy to type a bunch of stuff, so here are some observations from a shoot out I posted awhile back. Missing in the pic were a JPN CD and about three US pressings.
I will say that this title is sorta' like Dark Side in that they all sound good!
And all IMHO!!!
  • JPN CD: (not pictured) Not bad for Redbook, great for the road!
  • Classic DVD-A: Wow! Master tape sound indeed! Very detailed, sonic signature in line with the UK, albeit with a softer bottom end and highs that I find brutal at times, makes me grab the remote and bump it down. Especially on the 192/24 side. And priced too crazy now to be a viable option.
  • US: Nicely balanced, has detail and guts, while from dupes, they must have been good ones! Plentiful and cheap (at one time) in the states...no shame in it's game!
  • MoFi: Typical smiley faced, but still a fun/detailed spin. And the inky black background makes what it has just POP!!!! Fun spin!
  • German: Winner of the 'most fun' award. Huge bottom end! Albeit at a cost to extension in the highs, also a tad more congested presentation than the others. Again, just loads of fun!!!
  • UK: Well, this is what I would call the 'Goldilocks press'. Everything just comes together right on this one - 'hit it and quit it' lows, sweet extension in the highs, open soundstage.

Many Thanks Slick

Back
Top Bottom