What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Sorry if this off topic..just a cool story...My brother in law Tomy has done quite well for himself. So he likes toys. Not mechanical at all..so I am his on call mechanic. Well he is at Barrett-Jackson car auction this week. Keeps texting about cars and I am watching it on TV so I can answer his questions. He knows I like old Fords....so He bought this beast!!View attachment 1090985

Saweeeeet ride man. Gotta tell the brother in law you need to test drive it for him to make sure all is good with the car:thumbsup:

"The trend is your friend" they say and since I've seen this album pop up here a few times recently, decided to give it another go.
Mentions about the drumming being very good so why not?
missing persons.jpg
Doing side by side listening to determine which turntable gets sold off after years of enjoyment.
A Dual CS721 w/Pickering XSV, Technics SL1600 w/Grado Blue/8MZ or Sony PS X60 w/Shure M97xE.
So far only the Dual and Pickering are safe from the cut.
Gotta make room for a tube amp.
tts.jpg

Updated comments, the Red is really refined...should have done this a couple years ago.

Sounds like you like the Red. Very cool.

If you have it, try listening to Wild West End on Dire Straits', 1st self-titled album. It should blow you away. Have fun!

He’s making it hard for me to decide which way to go with my next purchase. Been leaning forward adding a 8mz stylus to my Grado Black or upgrading my OM 10, but now........:idea:

He’s making it hard for me to decide which way to go with my next purchase. Been leaning forward adding a 8mz stylus to my Grado Black or upgrading my OM 10, but now........:idea:
I have read (much thread reading) the OM 30 is the way to go. Leaves the 10 and 20 in its wake. I want one someday too.
I can vouch for the 8MZ in several Grado carts. The Blue is most crisp. GF-1 and GF-3 are more syrupy with a little less high end.
Never reveal your fishing hole they say, but this Pickering (Stanton) XSV-3000 puts both of them in the dust.
Puts my brothers Red on his setup in the dust too. There is an unmistakable 3D quality to the sound.
Fingers on strings, drum pedal squeaks, breathing, tongue movements and things I've never heard before are present. And no IGD,
Selling the Shure V15 mkII as well with new stick. Didn;t even make the finals.
I can;t stop listening to it. Sounds like a $1000 cart for $125 on every TT, in every can and on every speaker.

Last edited:
Good article and very relatable.
It says streaming has surpassed physical media. How long will vinyl last?
Also
I just wonder how many newcomers will stay with the vinyl game. I dropped out of it when I was about 22 or so. Gave my whole collection (about 300) away for free. But jumped right back in 4 years later after I bought a Luxman with a Grado at a flea market. I have a sneaking suspicion several folks my age or younger will drop out of the vinyl fad and move on. Two of the reasons are cost and maintenance. I could be wrong but time will tell.

I suspect you are right, although I think there will be a few new adherents, like yourself, who stick with it. I think the LP resurgence bubble is due to pop, which actually might be a good thing if it is associated with a drop in prices.

I suspect you are right, although I think there will be a few new adherents, like yourself, who stick with it. I think the LP resurgence bubble is due to pop, which actually might be a good thing if it is associated with a drop in prices.
... And having to move the vinyl. We have an almost nomadic society now where everything is portable and easy to play on a small package.
I did the same thing in the 90's, gave it all away and did the digital route....
No question in my mind vinyl sounds better every which way from Sunday.
I'll hire homeless people to help load my records on a U-Haul before I give them away again...
And I do still like digital and cd's and streaming and all the new stuff but at home where you can have a good pr of speakers, an amp and TT there's no comparison for me.... Of course, I;ve never been in a drug Lord's mansion to hear a $100k Krell TOTL CD setup yet so I'll take what I can afford.
All you gotta do is put an album on when someones visiting and they get it immediately even though they have no idea why...

I have read (much thread reading) the OM 30 is the way to go. Leaves the 10 and 20 in its wake. I want one someday too.
I can vouch for the 8MZ in several Grado carts. The Blue is most crisp. GF-1 and GF-3 are more syrupy with a little less high end.
Never reveal your fishing hole they say, but this Pickering (Stanton) XSV-3000 puts both of them in the dust.
Puts my brothers Red on his setup in the dust too. There is an unmistakable 3D quality to the sound.
Fingers on strings, drum pedal squeaks, breathing, tongue movements and things I've never heard before are present. And no IGD,
Selling the Shure V15 mkII as well with new stick. Didn;t even make the finals.
I can;t stop listening to it. Sounds like a $1000 cart for $125 on every TT, in every can and on every speaker.

Wow! I will have to look the Pickering then! May just grab that now and upgrade the Ortofon and/or Grado later. That Pickering sounds like it’s unbelievable! And I do a lot of late night listening on some Grado cans. Thanks @432HzBob

Back
Top Bottom