What are you playing with your Shure M3D cart today?

Curious that an auto table was chosen for the DJ's use!
I thought so, too but it worked fine in manual mode. The original turntable was a REK-O-CUT but it was not working and we were not allowed to repair it.
I'm curious why there was a DJ on a Navy ship...:idea:
It was piped via intercom to the crew berthing compartments and the mess deck. It operated from about 1600 (4PM) until lights out at 2200 (10PM) 7 days a week. My show was a Friday night rock show and on Saturday I did AMERICA'S TOP 40 with Kasey Kasem.

I found this cart, along with an M7N21D, a ceramic Sonotone 9TA and an Empire 888-TE in the trash outside my neighbors house after he died. Family said "you missed all the stereo stuff" but after digging around, I found a tackle box with these carts, was very pleased.

I don't have a table with an arm heavy enough to make that M3 sound its best. The M7N21D sounds better to my ears, but I still keep it, because one day, I'll get around to using it.

I've got two M3D and an M7D, which I have yet to mount and listen to. I bought them in anticipation of getting a couple ROK's and Gates tables up and running, but it hasn't happened yet.

I thought so, too but it worked fine in manual mode. The original turntable was a REK-O-CUT but it was not working and we were not allowed to repair it.

It was piped via intercom to the crew berthing compartments and the mess deck. It operated from about 1600 (4PM) until lights out at 2200 (10PM) 7 days a week. My show was a Friday night rock show and on Saturday I did AMERICA'S TOP 40 with Kasey Kasem.

That's very cool, sorry if I poked a little fun at it...

Were you east or west coast?

Hey! A club I can join!

R-6688866-1455383666-2155.jpeg.jpg

LP Gear stylus on a Rek-O-Kut S120 arm. My favorite thing about this cart? It's loud! Really covers up the noise of my unrestored PAS 3. I did have to shim the cart as it had some headshell rub.

Sunday morning with Sinatra is something of a tradition around these parts.

Son-of-Vere, welcome, and thanks for joining. We'd even let you be Club Treasurer, but we don't collect any dues or have any other money to manage. ;)

I've long sold my M3D and M7D carts. Heavy tracking force, "wrong" arms, and lack of replacement stylus combined with decent resale prices convinced me to let them go.

I didn't care for the sound of the M7D, but wish I would have kept an M3D around. I remember trying it on an AR-XA and the bass response was great. I have much better tonearms these days and would love to see what they would do with a M3D.

Hot racking is done on submarines and almost never on surface ships..

Well, not to argue with you, but as I posted above, I had to hot rack for a week or 10 days on the Kitty Hawk, which is for sure a surface ship.
There's always a lot of hands coming and leaving the ship, and I was in a group of 20 or so that joined the ship at sea. Being mostly new recruits with no particular training, we were checked into our various squadrons, and immediatly assigned to berths reserved for whatever temp duty we got stuck with. We hot racked until more personnel were moved around, and we got our own rack.
The first or second night I had my own luxurious rack, I was awakened from a sound slumber by an officer and his marine sidekick sticking his .45 in my face and ordering me out of the rack. WTF? Turns out that they were looking for the previous tenant of the rack for pot charges. Scared the hell out of me.

Well, not to argue with you, but as I posted above, I had to hot rack for a week or 10 days on the Kitty Hawk, which is for sure a surface ship.
There's always a lot of hands coming and leaving the ship, and I was in a group of 20 or so that joined the ship at sea. Being mostly new recruits with no particular training, we were checked into our various squadrons, and immediatly assigned to berths reserved for whatever temp duty we got stuck with. We hot racked until more personnel were moved around, and we got our own rack.
The first or second night I had my own luxurious rack, I was awakened from a sound slumber by an officer and his marine sidekick sticking his .45 in my face and ordering me out of the rack. WTF? Turns out that they were looking for the previous tenant of the rack for pot charges. Scared the hell out of me.

Notice I said "almost never." I spent some TAD time on the JFK and had my own rack from day 1. I was on the Admiral's staff so maybe that was the reason. That was one boring assignment as I had nothing to do except to don my dress uniform and stand at attention whenever the Admiral had an official function: (we were there for a NATO meeting).

I'll bet that mistaken arrest scared you out of a few years growth. It certainly would have done so to me. Hope it didn't take too long to straighten out.

I have several friends who served aboard the Kitty. They were plat lens operators and photographers mates.

Not to hijack the thread, but isn't this supposed to be about the M3D?
And I'm one who likes this sort of digression in discussion threads, and I get peevish about people who try to stop them -- this sort of thing humanizes the thread participants more. But it sounds like this is a great topic for a new thread in a more general discussion area of the forum. Invite input from other branches of the service and from different eras of serving. We could do that here, but would people who came here to post about a phono cartridge still want to hang around. What if they don't know hot-racking from component racking? ;)

Not to hijack the thread, but isn't this supposed to be about the M3D?
And I'm one who likes this sort of digression in discussion threads, and I get peevish about people who try to stop them -- this sort of thing humanizes the thread participants more. But it sounds like this is a great topic for a new thread in a more general discussion area of the forum. Invite input from other branches of the service and from different eras of serving. We could do that here, but would people who came here to post about a phono cartridge still want to hang around. What if they don't know hot-racking from component racking? ;)

Oh... oh, yeah...
So, like I was saying, I've got two M3D's, and a single M7D that have never been mounted. That's about all I've got. Sorry.

Anybody ever try freeing a higher compliance stylus from it's mount and plugging it in an M3D? I believe I read that acetone can be used to simply dissolve the plastic mount.

Back
Top Bottom