What audio gear are you thankful for?

opusarlo

I am in my listening room studying for a master's thesis defense, and my wife and daughter start raising tap-dancing cattle upstairs. Not only that, but it sounds like someone is also randomly shooting a 12 gauge at the floor directly over my head. At one point, I become frustrated enough to conjure up a passive-aggressive response. I fired up the hi-fi and played Organ Symphony no. 6 in G minor, Opus 42, No 2:1. Allegro...She counters with more foot stomping and the addition of elephants to the already active cattle crowd upstairs. I impulsively mashed the volume up button...I maxed out the system...for the first time ever!... the Cornwalls did not even fidget or stutter. They simply exploded excellent pipe organ music all around. At this point, I was forced to take notice. As the low notes hit, I actually saw the woofer cones move and felt me hair tickle. My listening room is 13*19 feet and 100% live. I had to stop to take notice as the bottom registers/stops interrupted everything down to my dull pencil. Those Cornwalls are insane beasts with an insatiable lust for power! They never skipped a beat. I have never heard such amazing pipe organ music at that volume, and I use to give pipe organ recitals!

I am thankful for Hi-Fi but specifically my Cornwalls

The Internet, steaming music. I can listen to practically any song ever recorded at anytime I choose. I'm able to explore different genres at a whim without any investment. I consider my computer, DAC, IPhone, smart TV a part of my audio gear. Since I have been streaming music my taste has expanded exponentially, my audio gear as a whole has changed as a result of this. I still buy CD's, an occasional record, digital files when I hear something I really like. Weather your pro or against streaming music it's hard to not appreciate what it offers and how it has changed music as an experience.

I am in my listening room studying for a master's thesis defense, and my wife and daughter start raising tap-dancing cattle upstairs. Not only that, but it sounds like someone is also randomly shooting a 12 gauge at the floor directly over my head. At one point, I become frustrated enough to conjure up a passive-aggressive response. I fired up the hi-fi and played Organ Symphony no. 6 in G minor, Opus 42, No 2:1. Allegro...She counters with more foot stomping and the addition of elephants to the already active cattle crowd upstairs. I impulsively mashed the volume up button...I maxed out the system...for the first time ever!... the Cornwalls did not even fidget or stutter. They simply exploded excellent pipe organ music all around. At this point, I was forced to take notice. As the low notes hit, I actually saw the woofer cones move and felt me hair tickle. My listening room is 13*19 feet and 100% live. I had to stop to take notice as the bottom registers/stops interrupted everything down to my dull pencil. Those Cornwalls are insane beasts with an insatiable lust for power! They never skipped a beat. I have never heard such amazing pipe organ music at that volume, and I use to give pipe organ recitals!

I am thankful for Hi-Fi but specifically my Cornwalls
Just imagine what it will be like when you pair them up with your vintage McIntosh tube gear. :eek2:

I am thankful for all the equipment I have owned over the years From my first AT-6 turntable, to my most expensive. In relative dollars I guess that would have been my Ampex 300-4 I started using in 1965. In todays dollars if I had bought my MX 151 new it would have been, but I saved a fortune buying pre-owned.

upload_2017-11-22_23-47-10.jpeg

I'm thankful that my local tech turned me on to Dynaco/Dynakit.
The equipment performs very well,... sounds superb, is durable & easy to work on and is quite affordable.

(Google pic, I never stack) :no:

I'm thankful for my Sansui 2000a. After replacing the noisy transistors it's been rock solid. Same for the Marantz 1070 I bought off a local AKer. Those two just always deliver the goods. I'm also thankful for my Rectilinear Lowboys and my KLH Twenty Threes. If I had to get rid of everything else I'd be happy if I could keep the above, with a few good sources. I've tried to get closer to top shelf and am still working on it but the above are now my faithful companions and I'll probably be listening to the Sansui whole firing up the soldering iron.

Not so much the audio gear as much as the "techs" that are able to turn these finds into tunes that sing. Man, all the gear in the world would amount to a hill of beans without someone to make sound come out of it. Lol.
Yes, I'm enjoying the music from my Marantz & Sony but I give thanks to those who had a hand in it every time I turn them on.
Cheers

I'm thankful for the invention of the vacuum tube. Their soft, warm glow in a dark room brings me great peace and comfort.

1958 harman kardon "TA 230 Stereo Festival Receiver" (oldest stereo receiver in audio gear history).

They almost do not exist in Europe, experts say that here are hardly more than five - and I got two of them. Arrangened this way just for the picture, of course.

Just for the record - I painted the metal enclosure in 50's harman kardon green, but my camera did not capture this beautiful colour exactly.

hk2 001.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom