What camera(s) do you own?

I finally got a GoPro 6. Also got a dome port for under/over surface photos and underwater filters. Waiting for the floaty hand grip. This thing is ridiculously small and has an iPhone app.

GoPro6_P1290155-sm.jpg

I have a Nikon D7100 that's set up with a Tamron SP 150-600 F/5-6.3 Di VC USD superzoom lens for bird photography. I also carry a Nikon D5200 fitted with a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-55 mm 1:3.5-4.6G lens for landscape and people photos.

I have a Nikon D5500 with a 10-20, 16-80, 70-300, and 35 1.8. Also still have my N60 film body, but I don't know if it's of any use since I sold off all my screw drive AF lenses, and all my new ones are DX.

Today I picked up a Go-Pro Hero 6 for under $5 in a grab bag at the GW as-is. Works and looks great but is missing a few accy's like the bolt for the mount and a suction cup. Think I'll use it as a dash cam when I go on trips. My wife wants me to flip it and make a good profit. The rest of the stuff in the grab bag was trash. I guess that is a score.

I have a Canon 7D and 20D for times when I really feel like taking photos. I have a bunch of lenses and a couple of flash units to match. Those accessories cost a pretty penny, but the cameras I bought used when they could be had for a song. Both are old now, and folks generally want the latest and greatest.

For snap shots until recently I have used a Lumix DMC Z7, but now I got my first smart phone, a HTC m8. The phone camera has amazing quality, and it's always there. I do miss the zoom of the Lumix though.

I have a second used Lumix for underwater shots.

I have also kept my very first SLR, a Minolta XD-7, with a small set of lenses and some other more or less collectable older Minolta SLRs. I have those for nostalgic reasons only. I haven't shot film since the first day I got a DSLR.

Since every post about photography should have a photo, here is one from my train spotting days in the early 1980s. Minolta XD-7, MD 75-200mm f/4.5, Agfa CT18 slide film.

BR 140-1.jpg

What happens when you sell off the piles of audio gear?

Got the Sony α7R III and the Sony/Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 on sale, but returned it (bad reviews). Waiting for the FE 16-35mm, F2.8 GM to come on Friday and the FE 24–105 mm, F4 G OSS lens is back ordered.

This thing is a wee bit bigger than my Panasonic LUMIX GH-2, but substantially heavier.

Full-frame mirrorless at 42.4MP. Oh yeah.

Yeah, the A7R III and 24-105 (and a couple primes) is pretty tempting, but I'm just too invested in Nikon to make the move.

Yeah, the A7R III and 24-105 (and a couple primes) is pretty tempting, but I'm just too invested in Nikon to make the move.

You can adapt all your Nikon glass to a Sony, so think of your investment only in terms of camera body and see how you feel then.

I've thought about it but that 24-105 seems like a pretty dang nice lens. I'd probably adapt my primes but I'd have to get the 24-105.

Guy at my local brick and mortar camera shop said that a surprising number of pros are switching to Sony stuff.

Today I picked up a Go-Pro Hero 6 for under $5 in a grab bag at the GW as-is. Works and looks great but is missing a few accy's like the bolt for the mount and a suction cup. Think I'll use it as a dash cam when I go on trips. My wife wants me to flip it and make a good profit. The rest of the stuff in the grab bag was trash. I guess that is a score.

I decided to flip it and that went well. My spouse is happy now - I think.

Picked up a Nikon® COOLPIX W100 waterproof camera....I keep this on my motorcycle for snap shots. Not high end by any means but gets the job done!

81bVqHoB4BL__SL1500_.jpg

You can adapt all your Nikon glass to a Sony, so think of your investment only in terms of camera body and see how you feel then.

Do the adapters work well? No issues with AF accuracy or speed? I’ve heard Canon lenses work well on the Sony mirrorless cameras but Nikon lenses are problematic. And I expect screw drive AF isn’t supported?

I only use old manual lenses on my Sony's so can't say if the adapters for the later lenses work or not.
I have used a TAP adapter with my manuals and it works a treat as they say.
With my A7ii, all my lenses are now stabilized and autofocus too when using the TAP adapter. I usually don't use it though as I find focusing myself helps keep me involved with taking the picture, a lot like shooting film used to.
I do have one native Sony lens, the 28mm f2 which is super sharp and pretty light weight too.

I bought a backup Nikon D700 over the weekend. Slightly rough condition but fully functional and only 74,000 actuation so should last me forever.

Got a great price and a 180 day warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom