What camera(s) do you own?

I've used the gen I VR 70-200 on a D300 and a D700 and even then, AF speed and accuracy was impressive.

I shot a D500 and a Gen II 70-200 VR and it was very impressive. It's hard to imagine a much better zoom AF speed. I'm sure the 850 is right there.

I don't normally shoot fast things so I haven't felt the need to upgrade, but for someone than normally shoots 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses on D300S or a D700 - all of which is solid gear but not exceptionally fast in terms of AF - the speed of the latest stuff is really impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Nikon and eventually Canon will bring to the FF mirrorless market.

I'm almost starting to wonder if Nikon and Canon are flat out conceding the full frame mirrorless market to Sony. I mean, they are on the third-ish generation and Nikon and Canon aren't even to market.

Last edited:
My gear has changed a bit since my last post. I still have the 20D (I sold the 10-22mm), but I rarely use it. I have thought about sending it in to get it IR adapted, but I haven't gotten around to researching it. Also, the last time I checked it was a bit pricey. I may just put it behind the passenger seat in the car with an 18-200mm attached and use it for random photos when I am on my way home from work.

My current gear:

5D Mark III
Canon 24-105mm F4 IS
Canon 70-200mm f4 IS
Canon 17-40 F4
Canon 100mm macro 2.8 (the old version)
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 100-400mm IS
Lensbaby

I recently purchased an Olympus EPL5 because I wanted something smaller to carry to concerts, amusement parks, and other crowded places. I was going to get a P&S so I could pocket it, but they were too slow on the longer end and I was worried that I would have issues shooting in darker places. The EPL5 with an adapter and a multiplication of 2x works better with my 50 and 85mm f1.8 Canon lenses. Also, my girlfriend doesn't mind carrying a couple small lenses in her purse.

E-PL5
14-42mm
40-150mm
20mm f1.7 Pancake
Canon adapter for using Canon lenses

I also have a Canon Powershot SX200 IS that I rarely use. My girlfriend still uses it on occasion, though.

I posted the above a while back. I added a Sony A7RIII at the beginning of the year and a Metabones adapter for my Canon lenses. I may eventually just sell all my Canon gear and get Sony lenses, but that is going to be tough with their prices.

I also have a Mavic Pro Platinum Drone I haven't had time to use. Well, I have used it for video on the ground, but the thing hasn't been in the air yet.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time for photography since I added the new equipment, but I hope that pics up in the next few months.

Last edited:
I posted the above a while back. I added a Sony A7RIII at the beginning of the year and a Metabones adapter for my Canon lenses. I may eventually just sell all my Canon gear and get Sony lenses, but that is going to be tough with their prices.

I also have a Mavic Pro Platinum Drone I haven't had time to use. Well, I have used it for video on the ground, but the thing hasn't been in the air yet.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time for photography since I added the new equipment, but I hope that pics up in the next few months.
Canon just made it tougher.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r

Just a hobbyist here too, and a Nikon enthusiast:

I have a Nikon F100, F6, and D700. Currently looking for a used D800.

BTW, my go to lens is a Nikon 17-35mm f2.8.

Update from a couple of years ago:

Still Own:
F100 - You never know...
D700

Sold:
F6

New (to me)
D800 - Picked up locally at very reasonable price. Mint with only 9000 actuations, and came with vertical grip.

Last edited:
Nikon D300 and D200 DSLR bodies. Both have optional power packs/battery grips.
Lenses include Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR zoom and Nikon 1.7x Teleconverter
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5/4.5 zoom
Nikon 50mm f/1.4 prime
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

http://www.carlstrubphoto.com

I thought I'd update my gear. It's been a while.
I just traded the 50mm prime and 18-70mm zoom in on a used 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED. I bought a D500 and sold the D200 almost 2 years ago.

Nikon D500 and D300 DSLR bodies. Both have optional power packs/battery grips.
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Lenses now include...

AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II 1.7x

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED

Last edited:
I'm almost starting to wonder if Nikon and Canon are flat out conceding the full frame mirrorless market to Sony. I mean, they are on the third-ish generation and Nikon and Canon aren't even to market.
A few pros have been switching to Sony since innovation at the other two has been lacking in recent years. OTOH, Canon and Nikon might have wanted to see if mirrorless would be accepted in the pro marketplace before doing so themselves. Whatever happens, is good to see new products from all three.

Sold my Nikon FM (non working meter but otherwise good) and Canon AE-1 (near mint), both with 50mm lenses. I'm now down to 2 film cameras, a Pentax ME-Super with three lenses and a weirdo Canon Photura.

Digitals:
Sony NEX-6 with three lenses
Sony HX-300
Canon Powershot A720IS
Canon ELPH 300HS
Canon Powershot A4000IS
Canon Powershot S30

I've sent my D7000 packing so now I can say I'm a Sony shooter.
A7ii
A7iii
4- SD1000 Canon's (I know, it's a sickness I have)
Too many old Nikon lenses to make effective use of.

I've been paring down and still have way too many, but here's a list:

Nikon D700
Nikon D700
Nikon D300s
Nikon D300s
Nikon D300
Nikon D90
Nikon D5200
Nikon D3400

Canon 5D Mk I
Canon 50D
Canon 40D
Canon T3i

That doesn't count way too many P&S types or any of about 40 vintage cameras on the shelf as decoration as well as a few VERY dated DSLRs.

Man, that makes me feel bad. :p

I've been using my Z6 pretty much exclusively since I got it. Still have my D7200, but I need to get it up on ebay.

I also still have my old N60 film SLR. I don't see the point in trying to sell it, although I no longer have any lenses that will work on it.

I recently picked up a D850, it's a beast... and I realized I need to start picking up more VR lenses, where I didn't previously need them. Or just shoot it like medium format and everything's supported. That sensor just picks up so much information, really minor shake is noticeable. Especially noticeable with the AI and AI-d lenses, but those are mostly used on a tripod anyway these days.

Very dated SLRs? Like the F2, multiple F3's, the Fm2nt, or the plethora of Minolta SRT-101's (this was my first camera in school, all the way through to post-grad actually) lying around the house that I can not bare to part with (there's a whole lot more, my wife has the same problem.. thankfully).

Chugging along with my Canon 5D Mk II. Glass includes Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (Mk I) and Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD.

Also have a mint circa 1974 Polaroid SX70 for when I get the instant film urge.

I've since added a Sony A77-II to the camera bag, dethroning my old A33, which is smaller, a bit slower, and had a tendency to overheat after a couple dozen successive pictures. (Known issue with these.) The A77-II is not quite a pro camera but it is apparently close--I would have preferred an A99-II but those are a lot more coin for only a couple of extra benefits.

One thing I like is that the A77-II body is much larger than the A33 and, having larger hands, this A77 is a much more comfortable camera to operate. I'm no longer having to try to reach backwards with my fingers to operate it. Still learning my way around the camera though--way too many options to mess with (or in my case, mess up!). It does have lower noise than the A33 in dark situations, but still not ideal. My next step would be the Sony mirrorless.

I just wish my old cameras were worth anything, but they're not even worth taking the effort to pack up and sell. Same with some of my older lenses.

My daughter can't stop buying cheap old cameras at estate sales! She found a Polaroid Spectra recently, along with a cheap Vivitar point-and-shoot still brand new with a roll of way outdated film in its original packaging. Months ago, she found a really old Polaroid that you can't even get film for (it is a bellows camera that predates the more popular type that followed). And a Voigtlander Perkeo II that uses 120 film. She has an 8mm film camera that she wants to use in one of her film classes in the next year or so. They have a darkroom at the college, so she can develop the 120 or 35mm film there any time she wants to.

Since her Canon DSLR wasn't so great at it, she recently bought a brand new Panasonic Lumix FZ300 with the Leica lens for video. It works so much better than the Canon for video, and the built-in zoom has quite a range to it. Not bad for a student budget.

Back
Top Bottom