What cartridge are you currently using on main deck

Just got my beloved Spectral Reference back from Lyra/Scan Tech who completely rebuilt it using the original materials.

The Spectral was built in 1991 by Jonathan Carr (designer) and Yoshinori Mishima (master cartridge builder) of Scan Tech/Lyra.

When I had a problem with it a few months ago I reached out to Jonathan not really expecting anything but advice. What I got was nothing short of VIP treatment from start to finish. First he spent time going back to the original design and searching the factory to find all the original materials, once confirmed they were available the original builder Yoshinori Mishima totally rebuild it despite it not being one of their current models.

In addition to Jonathan and Mishima San I also have to give a tremendous shout out to Mr Stig Bjorge who despite being extremely busy helped with all the paperwork.

Very happy to say the least. And yes it has retained its beautiful rich and detailed sound.

79A1475B-01F7-4DF6-9046-42DBC62510E5.jpeg

qdrone Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso DTI looks like this....

Here is mine on a SOTA Star Sapphire and Eminent Technology Tonearm 2

View attachment 1224333 View attachment 1224334 View attachment 1224335

View attachment 1224336

Same table with a Sumiko Blackbird.....I know I'm boring but when I find something I like I stick to it.

View attachment 1224338
View attachment 1224339
View attachment 1224340

View attachment 1224341
Just curious,what do you prefer The DTI or The Songbird?
I've heard the ET2 / Sota is a great combination. I have a ET2.5 in storage and I'm thinking of mounting it on a Sota with a Monster Genesis 2000 for my second system.

Last edited:
Just curious,what do you prefer The DTI or The Songbird?
I've heard the ET2 / Sota is a great combination. I have a ET2.5 in storage and I'm thinking of mounting it on a Sota with a Monster Genesis 2000 for my second system.
You must mean the Blackbird

I like them both and also have the Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso Boron that is black in color. My blackbirds are HO and the Talisman are mid output, but they are smooth and laid back IMO. This is not a bad thing in anyway and sound very good.

I like the blackbirds also and are much easier to see the stylus for setup and cuing. But I also have three tables in my system and two setup identically. I don't like my system to sound all different from table to table and BB are easy to get, the DTi not so much

I have a some what similar setup, I have the SOTA Star Sapphire with a Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 1000 on a ET2 tonearm. I very much like it, but I think having a very stable platform for the Sota and the spring suspension sorted out is critical for the air bearing tonearm. Before I replaced the springs on my new found SOTA, I was adjusting the tonearm daily and now it stays level with the new springs, It least I have not had to adjust it in a month or so.

_DSC2019.jpg

Those are all taking their turns.
The Stanton 881S/Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE gets the most play time, since most of my listening in to stereo.
The Grado G1/8MZ is the best here, and is used when I'm really listen :)

31529754122_64feb50f1f_b.jpg

I have a stable of Pickering, Stanton, Shure and ortofon. But my most favorite now is my bottom drawer AT450 with a bargain basement non AT elliptical I paid $14 for.
Gets it going for me. The 450 I got on an old TT I fixed for a friend way back in time. They wanted a new cart so I got them a new cart.
Of course there was nothing wrong with the AT 450 and as I never throw on honest working cart away, it's mine.

I'm currently using a retipped Grace F8L on my 1249. Mounted and ready are an Ortofon OM30 and a Grado Silver1. Unmounted but ready to be so are a lovely Ortofon LM15, a Shure V15III, and a Stanton 780Q. I'd rather not use the Grace, due to the expense of retips (this is #2) but I can't resist since it sounds so very very good. If music were fabric, the Grace would bring out the Cashmere and Silk.

Main turntable is a McMartin/QRK TT 12-C with Shure M 232 tonearm, it has a Shure M 44-7 mounted, and will soon also sport a generic N 44-3 stylus for shellac and vinyl coarse groove duty.
I just picked up a QRK 12c putting a Audio Technica AT 1005 tone arm on it not sure on cart yet. Can you show me what you are using for plinth?

Audio Technica on a Fidelity Research FR-14 arm and Fidelity Research FR-7 on a Fidelity Research FR-64S arm on my S.A.M Aldebaran turntable.

Philips GP922 on a Fidelity Research FR-54 arm on my JVC TT-71 table.

Shure V15 Type II graciously donated by another AK'er. NOS Type II Improved stylus. Dual 1019.
Shure V15 Type II Improved beauty shot.jpg
I like to roll cartridges though, so by this time next week who knows?

Back
Top Bottom