What CD changer should I buy?

My three year old Marantz went kaput -- sound quality is greatly distorted. (I was able to test the RCA cable and the integrated amp jack/input to confirm they are working fine, so it must be the Marantz CD changer.) I know that from an audio quality perspective that my best bet is a player rather than a changer, but wifey's needs make a changer a necessity. Because my set up is awkward for cabling, etc., ideally I'd like to have a unit without a hardwired A/C plug but will instead allow me to be able to just plug in the old Marantz plug that is already set up. Must I buy Marantz to do this? Please note, this is a preference -- not a requirement.
Thoughts? Sorry for my lack of sophistication but appreciate any guidance y' all might be able to offer.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be many options for changers on the new market.

Yamaha, Onkyo, Integra, Teac and Sherwood are the only ones I have been able to find online.

Of those, the Yamaha is probably the best performer, followed by Integra, Onkyo, Sherwood then Teac. This is an assumption I made just based on the published specs of each one.

As for the AC cord, you should be able to use your existing cord with the Yamaha and Integra but I'm not sure about the others.

Also, I'm in a similar position as you. Looking for a quality changer but not having an easy time.

Good luck!

I picked up this Sony SCD-CE595 for $7 at Goodwill. I bought my first one when they came out around 2005 so I knew what I was getting and how good they sound. Sony put one of their special chips in this changer in an attempt to get the masses interested in SACD. It sounds every bit as good as my Marantz SA8004.

604075-sony_scdce595_sacd_player.jpg

Thank you both, gents. I enjoy thrifting but timetable might not allow for it in this instance. Will be shopping online for a Yamaha!!!
You guys are the best.

What is your location? I have an Adcom changer that I'd let go for cheap, but it wouldn't be worth it if you're not close by. I bet a lot of members have suitable gear in their archives.

What is your location? I have an Adcom changer that I'd let go for cheap, but it wouldn't be worth it if you're not close by. I bet a lot of members have suitable gear in their archives.

Unfortunately, I'm in Atlanta and therefore too far away, but greatly appreciate your kind offer! Have ordered the Yamaha and expect it tomorrow.

I currently use the Onkyo Integra CDC 3.4. This is a 6 disc model. Integra is the upscale Onkyo version. It has optical and coaxial output jacks. Prices are around $300 new and possibly less with refurbished models. These work well, sound great and you get the additional slot over most changers.

I want one of these SONY decks myself. I wonder if it plays WAV files stored in DVDs. That would be great as it would mean the equivalent of 2.800 CDs in there. Or with MP3, the equivalent of about 20.000 CDs with high bitrate.

the sonys are great - I've had several, they can be chained together

Good news, I see CLs across the country and someone is always selling these
for less than shipping off eBay.

no remote? get a cheap used, harmony off eBay.

then you're done and then you can enjoy the music.

the sonys are great - I've had several, they can be chained together

Good news, I see CLs across the country and someone is always selling these
for less than shipping off eBay.

no remote? get a cheap used, harmony off eBay.

then you're done and then you can enjoy the music.

As stated, paid $63, free shipping off eBay, good luck beating that deal through CL on a silver faced ES model lol.

As for the remote, why settle, Sony remotes are basically interchangeable, should be able to get one for pocket change. But if wanting to get the most out of the unit get this remote, usually available for around $20.

RMT D140 or the D150

il_570xN.1602048551_412t.jpg

Last edited:
I've personally had good luck with Denon 5cd changers., If you're not too fussy on sound quality, Sony and other changers regularly show up in the thrifts. You might look for one with a digital out to increase your upgrade options.

As far as models with separate cord; Technics, Magnavox and of course Marantz come to mind.

I currently use the Onkyo Integra CDC 3.4. This is a 6 disc model. Integra is the upscale Onkyo version. It has optical and coaxial output jacks. Prices are around $300 new and possibly less with refurbished models. These work well, sound great and you get the additional slot over most changers.

Have you compared your Integra to the Yamaha CDC600?

Those two are about it for my list unless I can find a cheap Marantz CC-4003 or a Sony ES model in good shape.

Picked this up for $63 on eBay, part of Sony's ES line, holds 400CD/DVD's, set for shuffle play and uninterrupted music all day.

View attachment 1353853
Oh my gosh... I'm a sucker for Sony ES gear, I need that changer!

Also : agreed with SOny remotes. If there's one company that stick to the same codes and has cross compatible remotes, it's them.

The button combination to get in service menu on their TVs has held up for at least 30 years... don't know if it still works. Display > 5 > Volume Up > Enter FTW :)

I have 2 Sony crt in the other room for retro gaming, and when using the remote to power one on, the other comes on also! Ha, it's almost a problem, how compatible those remotes are :)

Big fan of the Sony changers ... I used a couple of the 200 disc units here for years until I went with an HTPC ...

Back
Top Bottom