What CD Player Do You Use?

bonaccmj

I'm just curious as to what kind of CD player(s) everyone is using (and what y'all think of it). What do you like about it? What do you dislike? Is it very good? Good enough to compete with your record player? Changer or single disc? SACD? DVD? Vintage or modern?

If you say please I'll post about mine, but prepare to be disappointed :/

I had a Denon DCD620 since the 80's, through the lean years. Perfectly serviceable; wife still uses it. Got a Marantz CD5001 when I got back into listening a few years ago. I enjoyed music on it, but it was not a huge step up from the Denon. I seemed to listen to records a lot more than CDs just naturally. The first player I really liked was the original Rega Apollo. I liked it so much I got a Saturn assuming I'd like it even better, and gave the Apollo to my brother. I still have the Saturn, but it seems bright to me now, especially compared to my current one, which I am quite satisfied with, a Marantz SA15-S2 SACD player, which sounds the closest to my analog setup, is fatigue-free with decent recordings, and quite enjoyable. For me, very possibly a final player.

Last edited:
Either Pioneer PD-91 reference CDP or Micromega Solo H as transports in conjunction with a Marantz CDA-94 DAC which is equipped with those famous twin TDA-1541 D/A converters that sadly aren't made no more due to their high production costs... best sounding CD setup I've ever had or heard... truly awesome on well recorded CD's.

I have a Audiolab 8200CD which when I bought it a few years ago was the most musical CD player that I'd heard - it has several digital filters which can help to tailor the sound, but the effect can be quite subtle (I use the Optimal Transient filter for almost all recordings). These days I use it more as DAC playing FLAC files from the media PC that I built last year - very happy with this unit

I use an ADC 16/2R. It replaced a much (MUCH!) more expensive Shanling CD3000. The Shanling was better in a lot of ways, but the ADC has a much warmer sound that I found more pleasing. Plus, the ADC only cost me $15.

Sony DVP NS900V, replaced my Sony DVP NS500V and am very pleased. Retailed for $1000 new but can be had on eBay for $80 these days, a real bargain, mine is black.

sony900v.gif

I use an Arcam cd73T which ive owned from new in 2004 i like it cuss it sounds good and is very reliable i allso have a philips cd371 that i have had even longer tha sounds realy nice and is still in near mint cindition :)

In the main system I use an Oppo BDP-95 and in the shop/garage system I use a Denon DVD-2910.

The Oppo is used as a CD player, as well as a DVD, BluRay and internet streamer.

Marantz CD67se with a Peachtree DAC it. The dac greatly improved the cd sound and actually has me mixing cd's and vinyl.

Marantz Cd 6000 ose. Had it since new but gets very little use as all my CD's are ripped to FLAC now. Very nice unit though.

Attachments

• L_CD-6000-OSE.png
    L_CD-6000-OSE.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 101
I have a Pioneer PDR-99 CDR. As nice as the expensive PD models and records too... for less.

10_31_2011_049.jpg

The HHB CDR-800 is the same as the PDR-99 but with rack mounts and can be found for even less. (Sometimes for about $100.00)

561.jpg

Last edited:
This stereo: Sony CDP-CE500. It sounds good using the optical out and the DAC in my Pioneer AVR. I enjoy putting three to five CD's in it and hitting shuffle play.

Living room: Sony Blu-ray player. It sounds great in that rig.

Two other stereos: Sony DVP-N315. I have two of them. They have full displays on the front of the unit, so they can be used without a TV.

Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
In my main system I am using an Alpine AD 7200. Its a wonderful sounding player and I love the noise the motor makes as I eject and close the tray. Its built extremely well. I wish I had the original remote so I am always on the hunt.

Rega, Rega, Rega.

I have owned almost every Rega model.

I always go back to the original Planet, not the Planet 2000.

I just ordered the Apollo R. I love CDS, and the original planet is by far the best CD player I have ever heard. I have sold much more expensive ones.

Sony DVP NS900V, replaced my Sony DVP NS500V and am very pleased. Retailed for $1000 new but can be had on eBay for $80 these days, a real bargain, mine is black.

sony900v.gif

How does that one compare to the NS500V? I have the 500.

OP, I primarily use the Sony DVP-S7000. Got it cheap. But I'm one of the ones that can't tell much difference between CD players. They all sound good to me.

Back
Top Bottom