What did you do with AV gear today?

Some years .. use to attend a local Parade of Homes show. Builders would showcase their latest models .. complete with some elaborate home theater systems .. "Got to get me one of those" .. was my reaction at the time.

c700x420.jpg

Fast forward to today .. planning on partially finishing my basement this year .. no desire to own or set up a home theatre at all. I am planning on a dedicated listening space. 2 Speakers & 2 subs.

One thing though .. would like to have one of those LED projector units with a fold away screen that I can set up from time to time. Not so much for the video quality as the old school "projector screen" feel or experience. Sound provided by the stereo rig.

Last edited:
Just a personal preference.

I hardly ever use surround mode and mostly use sound field control mode with an analog source, so front speakers being at the rear of the room don't matter much to me, and I like it better that way (for now).

Fast forward to today .. planning on partially finishing my basement this year .. no desire to own or set up a home theatre at all.
I have been there myself. I had a "surround" system of sorts in the 80s, using some rears in the old "Hafler quad" setup (tie the grounds of the two rear speakers together, but do not connect them to the amp, which gives the difference signal). It wasn't the best, and probably didn't decode the Dolby surround the right way, but it was still cool. I added on an Onkyo doohickey that decoded Dolby Pro Logic II and had two rear and one center amplifier, so you could use it with a stereo setup. Early 90s on that one. In my last house, I bought a cheap (and nasty sounding) Pioneer surround receiver with a DV578A universal player, with a Dayton sub, and Boston speakers for the surrounds.

Even in my main audio system, I had rears set up with a spare amp, connected to the 5.1 outputs on my Oppo.

All of it sits in the basement now. No desire whatsoever to deal with the clutter of rear speakers, all the wiring, the extra connections and components, and all that. I suppose if I had a larger space I might consider it, but only for music. The classic films, hockey games and TV shows I watch don't need surround, and I rarely watch TV anyway.

Hence, the soundbar. It does its own "surround" thing way off to the sides, it sounds really good (should be, given its original list price), and it is all in one single unit, with nothing but a digital cable and power cord connected to it. I want to add a really small sub to tuck into a small space, so I can fill out the deep stuff below 40Hz. It's kinda fun playing Smash Brothers on the Nintendo Switch when things are exploding all around the room. :D

I have a new 65" 4K TV, and I've yet to determine how it affects sound in the room, as it is between my two speakers (they are far out from the wall, though).

I've been getting my geek on with home theatre lately. I acquired a very nice and VERY heavy NAD T753 from a friend for free but it is missing the remote. It works well in stereo mode but HT speaker options can only really be set up with the remote.

This led me to investigate the IR blaster built into my Samsung phone. I found an app called Anymote which is very good and I discovered I can import remote codes into this app. I then found that NAD have a utility on their website which gives you all the remote control hex codes for many models.

These codes can be pasted into a converter which then generates a file compatible with Anymote. All this is work in progress just now but it's better than importing a compatible remote for $100 !!

I put a wedge under my centre speaker (Polk) to try for more direction on the dialogue.

Next, I will take a look at the innards of the Yamaha Aventage to see how to tweak the audio even more for clarity..

Q

... Used it just as we do every day/night.

Our home theater is our primary television as well as our stereo system. It is used a minimum of 3-1/2 hours a day..., and that's just watching primetime TV and the news. Even more during sporting event and or movies. Then I may also spend another 1 or 2 hours a day listening to music on it during the day/evening.

Nothing at all . It worked fine but Kodi is becoming irrelevant , I sold it this morning :)

Started season 3 of Daredevil on Netflix last night. So amazed by the PQ and the DD+ SQ. I truly feel bad for those like my FIL who had to watch TV on a 3 inch B&W TV with a screen magnifier.

Luke Cage has a great soundtrack too. Especially the bands performing live, at the Paradise Club, in the show. Some awesome performances.

Back
Top Bottom