what do you do when listening to music?

Am I the only one who sprawls on the couch and surfs AK (and many other audio sites) on the iPad while listening?

Like peanut butter and chocolate....

Jblnut

That would be me. Long live the iPad :yes:

Ben aka MacKat

I maintain that one cannot use more than one sense at a time in order to achieve maximum experience.

One cannot surf the web and truly listen to music. You might be "hearing" music, but you're not really "Listening" to music.

Think about it. Try it. You won't be sorry.:yes:

I maintain that one cannot use more than one sense at a time in order to achieve maximum experience.

One cannot surf the web and truly listen to music. You might be "hearing" music, but you're not really "Listening" to music.

You are kidding right? I equate music listening and web surfing right up there with walking and chewing gum at the same time. Both are so simple to do it's pretty easy to combine them into one task.

If you are surfing the net your reading, if you are reading you can not possibly be understanding to a full potential a lyric or soloing guitar. :no:

Depends on my mood.

Often I will get home from work, have a shower, get changed, select a cd, pour a glass of wine, shut the blinds, shut the door, sit down relax and allow the music and wine to take me away from work. Sheer Bliss.

Other times I will set the amp to speakers A and B and move around the house doing stuff.

train

mostly used for voice training
- but i generally don't listen to music-

i tuned out of the music scene when the hair became bigger than the music

- and i get back - and find out i literally can't listen to new music because of the loudness - it hurts my ears.

For those who just sit down and listen, do you normally close your eyes? I find that I can't really concentrate with my eyes open, and several responders in this thread mention closing their eyes. I feel self-conscious with my eyes closed, though (I listen in our living room and my whole family is often walking through), so that's sometimes a bit awkward.

The worst was when I was rocking out, doing a completely spastic white-man dance, and I looked up to see an entire family watching me through our dining-room windows: Our dog had gotten out and they were returning him; I couldn't hear the doorbell since the music was so loud.

I love music. I just sit and listen carefully. Unfortunately I tend to fall asleep, even if the music is fairly loud. Even if it's hard rock. I guess it's the fact that I am the ripe old age of 45.

Although a couple of your posts in this thread have tended to come across as a bit pretentious, arrogant, and overbearing, I understand that you don't really mean it that way, and you certainly make a valid point.

My experience as a long-time audiophile has been that some folks do more serious listening than others. Sometimes, those of us who do more of it than others feel that those who rarely, occasionally, or even never do so are missing out, forgetting that many different personality types are to be found within the audio community - as within the general population.

I think most of us do our share of serious listening - sometimes just for the music itself, and sometimes to evaluate a new or potential acquisition for the system. However, each listener has his own psyche, habits, personality, experience and bias - and who can really say who enjoys his listening experience more?

Last edited:
I often have music playing while doing other things.

Riding in the car, at work with a full home stereo setup. I love music.

But, for me, when I listen to music, it is sitting down in the stereo room, vinyl spinning, cup of hot, black, percolated coffee (or other beverage of choice), and a cat in my lap. Time for the world to stop.

Its been scientifically proven that multi taskers perform most of their tasks poorly even though they think they are doing them well. When it comes to listening to music I'd rather do this well.

If one does anything at all other than listen, then it's not listening. It's 'hearing' music.

Listening means using your ears, nothing else. :music:

Agreed. Other than get up occasionally from the sweet spot for a moment to pull some new music, or return what I've already played to the shelf, I just sit and listen. Once in a while, my young adult daughters may join me in listening as I introduce them to various sub-genres and/or (new to them) artists.

On the main in my office/study: Work, read, write, and do things online (read/research, keep up on all my organizations/social causes, email, look up new-to-me and new music and order it if I like the samples I hear online, etc.).

On portable: exercise (cycling, hiking, rower) and household chores.

80 to 90% of listening is background...which is actually great for me personally: I have way too much to do, way too many interests, than to just sit and listen to music, so I combine them all. I HAVE to read/research daily for instance, so if I didn't listen in the background I wouldn't at all. Reading/studying always comes before music (and no, I'm not in school, I just mean purely for my own interests/pursuits), but background music (especially classical and jazz) adds to the enjoyment of the experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom