What Do You like on a Sandwich?

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I had a theory, that folks that are passionate about their music, and the gear that is used to produce it, would be passionate about certain genres of food. I started with the hotdog, then breakfast, then the baked potato, and the passion is definitely there. Now, I'm going to probe the next genre: the sandwich. It can be as simple as peanut butter and jelly, and as complicated as you like. The sky is the limit. You are welcome to include what you make at home, or what you like at your favorite sandwich shop or restaurant.

As before, this is about what you like on your sandwich, not what you think about what others like on theirs. I beseech you therefore, to avoid negativity.

I'm looking for inspiration. Whacha got?

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'll start.

I like shaved cracked-pepper pastrami, shaved corned beef, alfalfa sprouts, thin slices of tomato, thin slivers of raw sweet onion, and Dijon mustard on marble rye and grilled. In fact, I might have to satisfy that hankering before the hour is out...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I reckon that all depends what kind of sandwich I'm having.
Years ago and I know no one will probably believe this but, I liked Grape jelly on my meat sandwiches.
Even on Tuna fish sandwiches and no I wasn't pregnant! Theres a strange story about the Grape Jelly yearning.
Everyday for lunch years ago the guys in the shop would order sandwiches from a shop down the road and they'd
deliver. I always had a Sub with Grape Jelly on it till one day I called in the order and the young man stated they weren't able
to make that sandwich because the guy that makes it was off sick. I reckon there was only one person who had the stomach
to make it there. And that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.
Nowadays I've gotten a bit simpler, if it's got cow, pig or chicken on it, it's got bacon and sometimes red onion or cheese.
Oh, I'm a Mayonnaise guy too, no dadburn Miracle Whip sir, sometimes mustard depending and lettuce if I have it. Also Sweet relish or Dill depending what's on hand.
Cream Cheese sounds good to, have to try that with Grape Jelly.
If it's Tuna maybe cheese or even bacon, If it's Peanut Butter, it might have cheese, or some sort of deli meat like salami or just Grape Jelly.
I reckon ya just gotta form a taste for it, like a single malt Scotch.

Well, funny you should bring up sandwiches lol. The other night the lady and I decided to have Publix subs for dinner. I'll skip to my sub because this is where it gets good. I order a foot long with five grain bread, Boars Head roast beef and Turkey with Swiss cheese, double meat.

Skipping the condiments she grabs the already prepped allotment of meat, now as I'm watching the guy behind me asks "what's that because I want one of those" lol. The lady puts on one pack of turkey, then roast beef, then another turkey then roast beef, last the cheese. Well, it was busy and the lady was rushing and it was already apparent to me I was actually getting double double meat, ya that's right discrete 4 channel quad meat. I mean the sandwich looked ridiculous, then the guy says "I'm following you home" lol.

I had the sandwich toasted, and was charged the normal $10.50 for double meat Boars Head, the guy then asks "you're not gonna eat that whole thing?", now I never do, half is my lunch the next day, but this I had to take meat out, I couldn't even eat half.

Last edited:
Here's another one I like:

Iraqi samoon bread (fresh-baked from a Middle-Eastern market right up the street), opened like a pocket, and filled with thin-sliced gyro meat (from the same market), tzatziki sauce (Trader Joe's), thin-sliced Roma tomatoes, and thin-sliced raw red onions. Sometimes I'll toss in some crisped beef bacon (Brother and Sister brand).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Well, funny you should bring up sandwiches lol. The other night the lady and I decided to have Publix subs for dinner. I'll skip to my sub because this is where it gets good. I order a foot long with five grain bread, Boars Head roast beef and Turkey with Swiss cheese, double meat.

Skipping the condiments she grabs the already prepped allotment of meat, now as I'm watching the guy behind me asks "what's that because I want one of those" lol. The lady puts on one pack of turkey, then roast beef, then another turkey then roast beef, last the cheese. Well, it was busy and the lady was rushing and it was already apparent to me I was actually getting double double meat, ya that's right discrete 4 channel quad meat. I mean the sandwich looked ridiculous, then the guy says "I'm following you home" lol.

I had the sandwich toasted, and was charged the normal $10.50 for double meat Boars Head, the guy then asks "you're not gonna eat that whole thing?", now I never do, half is my lunch the next day, but this I had to take meat out, I couldn't even eat half.

Dagwood on Steroids ! :thumbsup:

I ate salami (hard or cotto), pimento cheese (home made or store bought) and mayo for years. If it was a sub, italian with veggies and wet with oil and vinegar.

Speaking of strange combos, used to make mayo and strawberry preserve.

Damn I miss bread.

Depends. A standard sub order for me is an Italian, oil and vinegar, no veggies, hot and sweet peppers. It has to be made with the hard salami, provolone, cappicola, and be on a proper roll for it to be right though. The roll truly makes the sandwich.

Not on a roll, tavern ham and swiss on rye, brown mustard, dill pickles. Can also mix or sub turkey, but it has to be real roasted turkey, not the processed stuff that is extruded into a perfectly symmetrical loaf of meat-product. Also why I like the tavern ham, it isn't from the square part of the pig. I prefer seeded rye if I have a choice too.

For grilled, I'm a big fan of reubens, or a hot pastrami and swiss sandwich. Has to be on good rye or rye/pumpernickel bread toasted until its crispy. Kraut on the reuben, never cole slaw.

I never put lettuce, tomato or onion on sandwiches. Lettuce belongs in a salad, and I don't like raw onions or tomato. I also don't much care for pre-made sandwiches. If I take one for lunch, its more of a portable deli operation, I bring the ingredients and assemble the sandwich fresh. Can't stand soggy bread.

There have been a few favourites, over the years.

When I was in University, there was a little Italian restaurant/pizza joint that made a mortadella sub. In-house baked on a Tuscan roll, pane sciocco, with shaved mortadella, slices of full-fat mozzarella, lettuce, sliced plum tomatoes. The bread got drizzled with EVOO, and the filling got some fresh-cracked black pepper. The whole thing got wrapped in aluminum foil, and baked in the wood-fired pizza oven. Yes, with the lettuce and tomatoes. Don't laugh, it works. If you asked Antonio nicely, you might convince him to put some pepperoncini on it. Amazing.

When I was in Paris, there was a little bar/café, near the hostel, where I went for lunch and dinner. For the princely sum of one French franc, in 1972, you could get a sandwich, on 1/3 of a baguette, baked that morning, at the boulangerie next door. A beautiful slightly-pressed ham, nicely-rare beef rib-roast, or a peppery saucisson sec. For cheese, a Comté, and either a grainy Dijon or a freshly-made mayonnaise. Thin slices of pickles, or strips of roasted red peppers might adorn your sandwich, on any given day. A second franc got you a glass of the bar's own lager. This just a few doors from Gare de l'Est.

The current choice is toasted Russian rye, or Pumpernickel, from the local bakery, with a stack of paper-thin slices of sweet onion, liverwurst, coarse, and peppery, and some hot English mustard, Keen's or Coleman's.

BACON !!!

I thought my sandwich couldn't get any better, and then I added bacon to it.

And I thought okay, it can't get any better than that?

And then I added more bacon to it!! ;-}

cheezeburgers.jpg

OK, you guys are making me hungry....
I need to go out and get the fixin`s for something slightly Eye-talian....

Cappicola ("gobagool"), fresh mozzarella, sundried tomatos, and a splash of Balsamic on some good Italian sandwich rolls.

A Boylan`s Creamy Red Birch Beer is a nice chaser for this....
(Excuse me while I drool....)

Back
Top Bottom