What Do You Like on Your Hotdog?

There is an Iconic dish that was developed in South Korea during the Korean War. Budae Jigae, Army Camp Stew, or Garbage Can Stew. It was made from what ever was found in the trash at American Army Camps during the war. Mess Sargents knowing this was happening arranged to have the left overs “Thrown away” in clean containers. Spam is an important part of this recipe, and whole unopened cases of it were “thrown away”. and were guarded so the refugees got it and it didn’t disappear into the black market. Hotdogs, were also incorporated into this “pot luck” dish. Along with canned pork-n-beans, KimChee, Tofu, Ramen style noodles, rice, etc etc. this dish, saved 100’s of 1000’s of South Koreans from starving to death. It is very easy to make there are countless recipes online for it.

00D2976B-D108-4665-B5DE-4A66CAC449E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Fans of the chili, cheese, onion combo might be interested in the history of the "Coney Island".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog

Actually, the only reason to visit my hometown is the Coney Island Cafe.
Basically the same as it was when it opened.
I've been eating there since...well, probably fairly close to the day I was born.
As the link above suggests, it was owned by Greeks for 50 years.

As someone else mentioned, Hot Dogs are popular south of the border as well.
They tend to come with every possible ingredient on them that you can think off....all at the same time.
Which is to say, it's too much of a mess for me.
But, if I can get 'em to make me a bacon wrapped dog with grilled onions, mustard, avocado, and pickled jalapenos or some other type of hot pepper, I'm good.
You can find this style in Southern Texas, Arizona, and California as well.

Got to say, I've great memories of Sabrett carts in NYC.
Gimme two with mustard and kraut please.

Edit: I forgot to mention, my first real job [not cutting lawns], was working in the "Coney Island House" in Amarillo Texas. Took me awhile, but I eventually got so sick of hot dogs that I could hardly eat 'em for years afterwards.

Last edited:
Had `em for dinner last night....Black Bear brand (a first for me), my sister-in-law picked them up at the grocery store, not bad at all. Nathan`s Spicy Brown mustard, pickle relish, and chopped Vidalia onion gave them that little extra joi de vive !

But, if I can get 'em to make me a bacon wrapped dog with grilled onions, mustard, avocado, and pickled jalapenos or some other type of hot pepper, I'm good.
Mmmmm, Mmmmm, THAT sounds really good!:thumbsup: Hope I have some avocado next time I decide to wrap my dog in bacon.

My wife is from Fairport, NY ( near Rochester ) and she introduced me to "White Hots" washed down with a Genesee Cream Ale. I have to admit I've cultivated a taste for these yankee dogs but they're hard to find down south.

2011-07-22_13-21-33_546.jpg

I'll have to look for the "White Hots". I'm sure someplace 'round here has them.
Funny you mentioned "Genny Cream" since I'm having a Genesee Beer right now, something I never buy, but the funds are low so I didn't have much of a choice.
Gotta watch the Cream Ales though. A couple or three are OK but have too many and you'll know why they call them "Genny Screamers" in these parts.:yikes:

PS: I do wish someone came out with a better bun. One that wasn't so thick or gummy chewy or fell apart so easily.

Last edited:
Had me a footlong, all beef Chile hotdog tonight at my local BBQ joint. It was excellent. Smothered with onions their proprietary chili and shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

This Hofmann's dog is wonderful. It has a sold core of Cheddar cheese. When grilled melts....:rockon:
1AF3D42C-4C04-4436-A7B4-10F42598290E.jpeg

Last edited:
Funny you mentioned "Genny Cream" since I'm having a Genesee Beer right now, something I never buy, but the funds are low so I didn't have much of a choice.
Gotta watch the Cream Ales though. A couple or three are OK but have too many and you'll know why they call them "Genny Screamers" in these parts.:yikes:

I lived in Upstate NY for awhile. Beer distributor-type place just down the road.
I damn near drowned in Genny Cream Ale.
So cheap by the case at the time that nobody believes me when I tell 'em the price.

I lived in Upstate NY for awhile. Beer distributor-type place just down the road.
I damn near drowned in Genny Cream Ale.
So cheap by the case at the time that nobody believes me when I tell 'em the price.
$15.99 plus tax and deposit. A $20 bill gets you a 30 pack and $1.00+ back in change.

My wife says you can buy Hofmann's White Hots at Wegmans. Here are some Red and White Hots. My wife has a cousin who works for Genesee so when we have a family reunion he brings a beer truck.

20AFCF8E-1468-45A6-9F01-5B25B17EAEB9_zpsv1ilik2f.jpg
You are so lucky. I have to mail order all of this. I have a friend who lives in Wisconsin. He always makes me feel bad when he reports all of the different brands of really good hot dogs and weiners he can get. Many of which are strictly local brands. :(

My wife says you can buy Hofmann's White Hots at Wegmans. Here are some Red and White Hots. My wife has a cousin who works for Genesee so when we have a family reunion he brings a beer truck.

20AFCF8E-1468-45A6-9F01-5B25B17EAEB9_zpsv1ilik2f.jpg

Thanks PG. We definitely do have a few Wegmans 'round these parts.
What else you got cookin' there?

Back
Top Bottom