What do you tube guys think of this?

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I am maybe gonna dip my feet into the tube pool but I don't want to lay out huge bucks to do so!! What do you guys make of this product?

"STEREO TWENTY" CLASS "A" VACUUM TUBE POWER AMPLIFIER - New Model

Here is a chance for someone to purchase a true “CLASSIC” sounding tube amplifier of OUTSTANDING QUALITY, at an AMAZING PRICE, with an almost unheard of manufacturer's WARRANTY OF 5 YEARS!.

This amplifier has its roots in the days of the great tube amps, as our Lead Engineer was building amps in the days that Leak and Mullard were, and our Lead Audio Technologist has decades of experience. Circuitry is very similar, (but not a copy to avoid patent infringement) to classic circuits of the past.

We build these amplifiers completely, including the custom chassis, as we have our own complete sheet metal fabricating facilities. We are not buying kit amplifiers and assembling them or refurbishing amplifiers and passing them off as our product. We are very proud of our wiring. Look at the picture of the underside of the amp. If you can find anything better, it won’t be selling for less than $300.00.

This particular amp has an RMS output of 10 watts a channel, and does this in Class "A" operation from 28HZ to 25KHZ at full rated power. The tube compliment is; 4 USA made, GE military grade, 6AU5GT’s and 2 12AX7’s. The chassis dimensions of this amp are 17"L x 13"D x 8"H and weighs 26lbs. Because of its outstanding low frequency response it can outdo amps with several times the rated wattage if their power bandwidth is wanting at the bottom end. The amp sounds much more powerful than it is because it has ample headroom to produce peak output of almost double its rated power. The circuit and components are capable of much more output, but only if we sacrifice true “tube” sound and tamper with long-term reliability, which we won’t do.

We monitor each amplifier on our genuine Altec Lansing Studio Monitor Systems, and if we think that the amp sounds like its classic ancestors or better, we market it. Just remember that our Lead Engineer “remembers” what a great amp sounds like, because he’s personally heard them, so if he pronounces an amp a success it most probably is.

Buy this amp with complete confidence. It is built to standards that guarantee that it will be still running ten or twenty years from now, with only routine maintenance. Our warranty is simple. Outside of tubes, which are warranted for 90 days, if this amp fails for any reason, other than abuse, tampering, or faulty application, send it back to us and we will service it, no cost, other than shipping for Five Years!

Not a bad looking amp though the 6AU5 is new to me. Seems it was used more in TV than Audio, which doesn't mean a thing. Who makes this thing? I could find no info in RAT about it. Seems as the only common amp called a Stereo 20 is a Leak.

Somebody should design a tube amp with tubes that everyone that works on old TVs has like a ton of lying around....like 6AL5s or 6CB6s. I must have like a couple dozen of the damn things.

Couple of questions

What partnering speaker are you using with this tube amp? With 10wpc, I'm guessing they're very efficient and an EZ load (simple X-over, flat impedance). Are you looking a strickly new amps or would you consider buying used. The least expensive amps I could recommend are the Bottlehead products. The ASL orchid 2A3 is another excellant product. My buddie uses the AES "Super Amp" and it's very good.

MikE

PR Mike,
My only big concern is if you have speakers that the amp could drive. I can't tell you a thing about the power tubes besides that they were basically made for TV. That does not mean they are not great sounding tubes, just what teir original design was. They could be great at audio amplification.
The amp looks simple and if it is hard wired for the price I would say go for it. If it has circuirt boards I would not buy it myself for the reason that it would be difficult to make changes if you wanted to later.

Back
Top Bottom