What exactly is this Pony Express?

If someone is driving. And could pass by your place and pick up the shipment and drop it off at your shipments destination.

Last edited:
If that wasn't clear. If you were interested in buying and or selling a piece of gear but shipping was prohibitive due to cost or item fragile and concern of damage , Other Akers in a position to transport to buyer or seller or sometimes will hand off to a second Aker that will get it to the destination or at least close enough for buyer to pick up.
Clear as mud right?
Oddly enough it works better than you think sometimes.

For instance, there were some speakers in Pittsburgh that an AKer, Indyhawg, wanted but shipping was expensive. A friend of mine regularly goes to Pittsburgh, he picked up the speakers and brought them back to me in Columbus, I've had them for a couple of weeks. I am driving up to Chicago next week and will swing by to drop them off to Indyhawg just north of Indianapolis. This is the second time I've dropped off speakers for him. I've actually done about 5 of these PE things for various people between Columbus/Cleveland and Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison area.

For instance, there were some speakers in Pittsburgh that an AKer, Indyhawg, wanted but shipping was expensive. A friend of mine regularly goes to Pittsburgh, he picked up the speakers and brought them back to me in Columbus, I've had them for a couple of weeks. I am driving up to Chicago next week and will swing by to drop them off to Indyhawg just north of Indianapolis. This is the second time I've dropped off speakers for him. I've actually done about 5 of these PE things for various people between Columbus/Cleveland and Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison area.

This pony express is odd the person can just pick up the items and keep them for hinself.....

This pony express is odd the person can just pick up the items and keep them for hinself....
hmmm, that is a possibility but the scoundrel would incur such a huge amount of bad Karma, he would probably have a heart attack or get shocked the first time he tried to profit by it.
In reality, just take a picture of the intermediary standing next to his vehicle. Heck, get a photo of his license before turning over your property. Let your spidey senses guide you if still in doubt.
I have had success using an intermediary as well as having been an middle-man.

Anyone else care to chime in?

This pony express is odd the person can just pick up the items and keep them for hinself.....

What is odd about it is that it requires a certain amount of trust, and while, unfortunately, there may be very good reasons for not trusting unknown strangers, what might be even more odd is that sometimes people do, and that trust turns out to be justified . . . ;)

Last edited:
Saves on shipping cost, saves on shipping damage (usually:)), and you get to meet other AK'ers, and maybe give them a case of beer, what's not to like. ;)

I've done this a number of times and just never occurred to me to do that to anyone. I've ferried equipment from Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana and Wisconsin
I think we are a trusting group of people and usually we do recognize names and use phone numbers to be able to contact one another.
Met some great people doing this! If I am flying to Phoenix are I also put out a post letting people know I can take something, in fact I may be making it a driving trip next time.

Well it's not like people you know, or that are established on this site are going to burn you for some old gear. Your new so yeah I wouldn't ask you to go pick up a $1500 pair of speakers for me because I don't know what type person you are. As someone is online and you see there action and behavior you can then judge them accordantly.

I think most people on this site can see what I do as far as donating, supporting members here and the site would never worry about me getting there gear to them. Hell there was a fairly new member who really didn't know me but wanted to build a system like mine. I had an extra preamp, and phono stage that I really didn't want to sell, but I did to help him. He sent $4000 in cash though the mail to me, his friend was driving south and could swing by my house and pick the gear up. He got everything he expected and is in love with his system.

You can read who I am on this site, it's that simple.

Last edited:
It's probably not a great idea to utilize someone new or with a known track record (bad). OTOH many of us have been here 5-10 or more. Known both here and local to the AK community.
I think it's pretty safe using common sense.
Also you're better off than the FedEx guy who throws your packages over the fence.

Another story how invaluable networking with other members here is.

A very young member here was selling a high end table that they knew nothing about and didn't want to ship. They tried their hand at spinning records bought a nice table and had the store set it up, and didn't keep the box. They decided records was not their bag and posted it for sale at a good price but no shipping. Well it was in Texas and really there is a lot of really good members there that will give the shirt of their back to someone in need.

I made a post to see if someone was close to the table and could get it and pack it up for me. Sure enough a member who is also a very good friend on the site stepped up immediately. Mike and Marc coordinated a time and Mike drove 3 hours each way to go disassemble the table and pick it up. Then he had to go buy boxes and packing materials, take a bunch of time labeling parts and packing it bomb proof.

I have had a hard time trying to even cover the cost it took him to get it packed and drive the distance he did. He will not take any money for his time and even if I send him something I end up getting something back from him. It's kind of has become a joke, if we do a transaction there is always something "Extra" added as we both try to add ground and show appreciation of a friendship made.

:idea:Christmass is comming

Another story how invaluable networking with other members here is.

A very young member here was selling a high end table that they knew nothing about and didn't want to ship. They tried their hand at spinning records bought a nice table and had the store set it up, and didn't keep the box. They decided records was not their bag and posted it for sale at a good price but no shipping. Well it was in Texas and really there is a lot of really good members there that will give the shirt of their back to someone in need.

I made a post to see if someone was close to the table and could get it and pack it up for me. Sure enough a member who is also a very good friend on the site stepped up immediately. Mike and Marc coordinated a time and Mike drove 3 hours each way to go disassemble the table and pick it up. Then he had to go buy boxes and packing materials, take a bunch of time labeling parts and packing it bomb proof.

I have had a hard time trying to even cover the cost it took him to get it packed and drive the distance he did. He will not take any money for his time and even if I send him something I end up getting something back from him. It's kind of has become a joke, if we do a transaction there is always something "Extra" added as we both try to add ground and show appreciation of a friendship made.

:idea:Christmass is comming

The information one learns here is worth way more than the price of admission, which is free. Helping out an AK brother is as much pleasure as it is "payment" for this valuable resource.

Back
Top Bottom