What genres of music do you listen to - please read post first!

What are your favorite genres of music?

• Classical

Votes: 196 34.5%
  • Country

Votes: 86 15.1%
  • Dance/Alternative

Votes: 67 11.8%
  • Jazz/Swing

Votes: 260 45.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Pop

Votes: 116 20.4%
  • Rap

Votes: 32 5.6%
  • Rock

Votes: 434 76.4%
  • Techno/Rave

Votes: 53 9.3%
  • Blues

Votes: 241 42.4%
  • Folk

Votes: 119 21.0%
  • Reggae

Votes: 55 9.7%
  • Other - Please Specify

Votes: 104 18.3%

• Total voters
Other: I always seem to turn to soul and funk when I’m cooking. Don’t ask why. It just happens... :crazy:

hi all,

i have found three fantastic internet radio stations that seem to occupy most of my listening these daze.

for an eclectic mix - the variety is truly astonishing - you really can't beat fip france. the playlist is truly astonishing; they really play everything and anything. amazing obscure covers of well-known artist's tunes, classical, jazz, rock, progressive, world, bluegrass, opera, showtunes, country, hip-hop, metal, classic rock, folk - and it's all mixed together, w/what seems to be no logical segues - it's absolutely fantastic!!!
https://www.fip.fr/player

for an excellent mix of progressive and more classic rock tunes, with an eclectic mix thrown in (but nothing like fip france), it's hard to beat these two:

radio naba, from riga, latvia:
https://www.naba.lv/
http://www.naba.lv/tiesraide/

and radio student, from ljubljana, slovenia:
https://radiostudent.si/
https://radiostudent.si/sites/all/libraries/rsplayer/player2.html

and, i have found that the grace digital internet tuna gdi-irdt200 (now awailable only used), sounds fantastic, if you use its digital out into a quality dac.

doug s.

I voted Country music which I love but, I think it depends on what mood I'm in that really dictates what music I listen too.
I love the OLD rock from the 60's to the 70's just as much as I love the real Country Western from the 50's to maybe 80's but, like I stated, it's my mood that dictates it.

'Rare Soul' as the term used in the north UK by the late 6T's to become 'Northern Soul'. I crate dig for my beloved little vintage 45's and 33rpm's occasionally. Less than before tinternet days, since it killed all geniuses and replaced them by pirates.

And I love also my 'Deep Soul' & 'Modern Soul' bits as well. So the 12" formats are not denied. And very rarely I love my "bold" funk tune here and there. When there's some soul in it at least... After I casted my vote, I was asked to specify so I did.

R&B, Soul, Salsa, Reggae, HipHop........???

I'm sure the OP meant well but one has to be sensitive to cultural genres of music as well.

Well, I enjoy a lot of music. Grew up on rock, became really interested in drum and bass, dubstep and similar electronic genres in my teen years and here in my 20's I've started listening to rap.
Interestingly, after getting a nice hifi setup I've started listening to more rock and d'n'b/similar genres again.

I find it kind of funny to see how few people voted rap and opera... I guess rap is really unpopular amongst many audiophiles and people generally interested in hifi equipment, but still 24 votes total! And opera... Well, I would've thought a lot of people in here listened to opera.
It seems rock claims the throne! :rockon:

Folk & Rock mainly with some classic (outlaw) country mixed in.
I also like listening to world music (Indian, Irish, Oriental, Native American, etc.).

In the collection with some volume is Rock ( Classic, Metal, Progressive), Jazz (old school and fusion), Blues (Chicago, Delta, Texas), Jam Band ( not sure this was an offering), Reggae and Bluegrass (also not offered). There are others in the collection, Monk Chanting, Classical, Chamber just not many.

1.) R&B (my first love, primarily 80s - present)
2.) Rap/Hip-Hop (primarly mid-80s to late 90s)
3.) Fusion (70s - mid-80s)
4.) Contemporary/smooth jazz (80s - present)
4.) Rock (arena, soft, AOR, pop, "hair" bands - primarily 80s, 90s alternative)
5.) Classical (latest sonic love affair starting in earnest in 2016, intermittent prior to...)

... in that order.

rock, folk and blues. i was trained in classical, but grew up the 70's. Also use big band and classical for background or while cooking. some new-age instrumental as background for dining. And anything can change at any time.
Oh, originals as well...somewhere in the mix.

Where would you put Dixieland, Brass, Symphonic wind band, The President's own, or Movie soundtracks? Barbershop, Acapella, Steam engine recordings, Sound effects, Drag race recordings of Big Daddy and Shirley M., Marching bands performing pass in Review. Bugle corps of America performances. Solo and ensemble of any type from vocal to synthesized.

Eclectic. I’m 66, grew up loving rock and Motown and added many types of music along the way. My faves in descending order of most to least:

1.Rock (mostly classic rock and “new wave”/alternative. No metal.)

2. Jazz (west coast mostly; not a bebop fan)
jazz/pop vocals (Sinatra, Ella, Sarah Vaughan, Diana Krall, Joe Washington, June Christy, Bobby Darin, etc.)

3. Soul/R&B ( is it just me or are Motown recordings generally poor quality?)

4. Show tunes/Broadway

5. Classical

6. Blues

3. Soul/R&B ( is it just me or are Motown recordings generally poor quality?)

Like the Spector sounds sound "echoey", the Motown sound (classic from 1963 to 1967) sounds 'motorey'. At least from 1963 until 1967 (until the shut down of the 'Hittsville' studio).

Berry Gordy quest into it's "trademark" in sound was done by showing the voices in high frequencies (too distortions at times) backed on crashing 'beats' (blinging & banging).

Making them original USA Motown & Co. 45rpm pressings capricious for fine of finest in quality playback. But this accordingly is true all the same for most USA sixties and seventies 45rpm's.

Other Motown & Co. releases in other countries where "clean" dubbed from them USA records. As the Motown & Co. pre-67' LP's are cleaned through their mastering and sounds rather dull in comparison.

Truly and incomparably the best way to play them original Motown & Co. USA 45 rpm's is as they were intended to; on high powered MONO phono system; there they sound BIG and powerful.

Alternative rock: the 90's was the decade. The Smashing Pumpkins is the primary band. Nirvana, Marilyn Manson... trying to get them in order of influence for me... Bush, Radiohead, Korn, etc.

Lead guitar music: Malmsteen, Vai, Gilbert, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix. I recommend you search "REH guitar" on youtube.

Dance music: My first cassette ever bought was Dance Mix 93. Dance mix 94. Great if you are into dance you should check this out.

Classical music: Lately I am exploring more deeply chromatism/microtonal composition from Renaissance, that along with baroque music (Vivaldi, Bach, Rameau) is found in my mp3 playlist:

Back
Top Bottom