What goes in a pair of Barzilay cabinets?

sheltie dave

Addicted Member
I'm trying to decide what to fill a set of Barzilay cabinets, and thought I could get some help here.

a- Altec 604e
b- EV 15TRX
c- JBL D130/077
d- EV 12TRX
e- JBL D123/077

Last edited:
:scratch2:.... would seem to me D130's would get a bit claustrophobic in those cab's.
Never heard the 604e's or D123's.
Being an EV guy,I'd like to hear both the 12TRX's and 15TRX's in a properly ported cabinet of that particular dimension before rendering a decision.
In other words ......:dunno:

I'm trying to decide what to fill a set of Barzilay cabinets, and thought I could get some help here.

a- Altec 604e
b- EV 15TRX
c- JBL D130/077
d- EV 12TRX going to be driv
e- JBL D123/077

dave,what are you going to be driving the speakers with?some grason stadlers mabe?:smoke:

Do you have pics of the cabs + dimensions?

I think that the specific shape of the cabinet + the size may help to determine what kind of speakers will work well based on the characteristics of the speaker and how that works with the cabinet. (someone else here knows more about Q ect? - http://www.csgnetwork.com/speakerqestcalc.html )

That said, I bet every single choice you have would sound quite good :thmbsp:

Perhaps consider an full-range driver for good measure? I get pretty good imaging from 12" full-range in my Barzilay's...

Here is a photo...

barzilaycabinets.jpg

I'll try to find dimensions, they are set up for 15", with a 12" ring adaptor installed.
18' x 16" x 27.75", 6.17 cuft.

I have heard 604's in these, didn't think they were really big enough to do the 604's justice.

I have similar, tho a little smaller (Acousti-craft, 4.5cuft) cabs. I put 136a's in them and perched round wood tractrix horns on top. Great WAF, good sound.

Frank, that is Radioactive's Grason Stadler there.

Chris, they will be one of the options. I'll also have the matching console, which has the middle face-up cutouts for a McIntosh C26 and MC2505. I have a 2505 and MX 110 that may find their way into that shelf, and then I could put a vintage setup on top.

You forgot an important choice in the poll, Stephens Tru-Sonics. I can't think of the model right now, but their 15" full rangers sound REALLY good to me. :thmbsp: Mine are the 16 ohm version, so I have to turn the volume up a bit with SE 6V6s, but it does sound good. :music:

Back
Top Bottom