What happened to the AK Member Photo Gallery?

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
I just now thought about this- what happened, or is going to happen, with the AK Member Photo Gallery?

I, for one, would love to see it reappear, if possible... or is it here somewhere, and I just haven't found it?

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.

Sorry if I've missed the outcome on this; but if there is an outcome / conclusion, where is it please?

Cheers, og

I have noticed many of these type questions are never answered. Still have not heard a answer about PM's being forbidden that are sent to me by members. Some folks have to look for an old message to post to in order for a PM to go through

Sorry about your PM situation - is there no thread on that subject? I chose this ['old'] thread because of it's name / title, covering the AK Member Photo Gallery.

Cheers, og

Hello,

Its possible its not technically viable or just not enough resources to do the work.

And answering the thread and hearing yet another rehash about how crappy the new system is and how we should have never moved perhaps gets to be a drag.

Try working IT sometime and you will get a new appreciation for how things work.

Frannie

Sorry if I've missed the outcome on this; but if there is an outcome / conclusion, where is it please?

Cheers, og

I just had [and still have] a simple [polite] question - I'm not going to criticise the service, website; or any individual.

Cheers, og

Hello,

I did give you an answer from my point of view of doing this for near 40 years.

Sometimes there just is not an answer and people don't accept that.

Not directed at you but it seems that way. Its for anyone reading this.

Frannie

sometimes when i can't locate things, I get this message in my inbox

"We recovered a lost item in the Twisting Nether and noted that it was yours. Please find said object enclosed.'' :wtf:

:banana::banana::banana: :jump: :banana::banana::banana:

Cheers, og

Edit / PS: If you like healthy debates / 'bouncing off walls', do come down and join us at the 'bottom-of-the-barrel' in the "Gaming" threads of "Audiokarma Off Topic Forums" - We know how to have fun down there! :biggrin:
ATB,
Dave.

Last edited:
@Northwinds

You have access to your profile denied, that is a privacy setting you control. I wonder if that is what you are talking about.

View attachment 949263
Graçias! You're close enough to the target that it made me remember a setting that should be checked.

@Northwinds Here is a privacy setting:

upload_2017-6-13_16-13-32.png

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?account/privacy (You can find it under your user menu/Privacy.)

"Start conversations with you" should be set to "Members Only" for someone to start a new conversation; an incorrect setting is how someone can send a message on an existing conversation, but not start a new one.. Other settings will limit who can send messages (such as "People You Follow Only"), or unchecking the box will disable anyone from starting a conversation with you. Except for staff, as they have Super Staff Powers™ to send conversation messages regardless of the setting. ;)

So was the Members Gallery in some way different than the Media area we currently have?

When I spoke with Ernie about it last year, there was an issue where some of the gallery was transferred over, but for some of the other galleries, there was some server or URL issue that prevented it from working properly to import the rest. I've never used the XenMedia Gallery add-on with any of my XenForo installations (and never had any to import), so unfortunately I couldn't help with it.

Our gallery was a vB hack, and like several other vB hacks, it didn't port well, in the change of software. The image files are still in the database, according to Wardsweb, but there is no way to link them to a particular post or gallery. The linkage got lost in the conversion. XF was asked if they could figure out a subroutine patch to recover this, but to no avail.

This post is an attempt to provide perspective, from one 'System-User' point of view [Note: I'm of the opinion that Wardsweb has carried out a really great job, in our system's update!].

The above would have been a great opening response to my question, short of anyone actually revealing the current status, which I requested.

The reason that I asked was that in the 'previous scenario' all of the images which I attached to my posts were stored in [or cross-referenced to] a location, which was accessible via my 'Profile Page'. I used them to 'attach' to further posts, on occasion; and some of them I used as a means of locating such posts in which I had further interests, by using the 'image-listing' as a cross-referencing index / tool.

The link to such information no longer exists in my Profile Page, as far as I can tell, having looked there several times [if anyone can guide me here, that would be really great!].

I remember looking in the 'Media' area, under the 'drop-down' menu [in 2015 and 2016], for my photographs; and found that none of my photographs seemed to be available in that location.

I, just an hour ago, conducted a search for all media under that drop-down menu posted under the name of 'oldgringo'; and found none.

In the last hour, I have also returned to certain posts to which I attached images. The images are still there, attached as 'thumbprints' [for example].

Why these images appear to be currently inaccessible [other than by locating the individual posts], could be explained by this facility being terminated; by being a 'work in progress' of ongoing 'upgrade-developments'; by being the subject of database reparations; or any number of legitimate 'systems-maintenance / development' reasons. I cannot / will not 'knock' the truly mammoth tasks / jobs that have been carried out by, or on behalf of, our members.

If the above referenced image files cannot currently be 'centrally-accessed' / cross-referenced, just a simple 'word-to-the-wise' by someone in the 'know', will satisfy me. I love what AK brings to me. Some days, it helps me enjoy life a fair bit more.

But if you are not in this info loop, your 'opinion' will be taken into consideration.

Cheers, og

Our gallery was a vB hack, and like several other vB hacks, it didn't port well, in the change of software. The image files are still in the database, according to Wardsweb, but there is no way to link them to a particular post or gallery. The linkage got lost in the conversion. XF was asked if they could figure out a subroutine patch to recover this, but to no avail.

Thank you lv! :thumbsup:

Cheers, og

Hiya,

Its simple. All those images and gallery were linked internally with the old system. The new system was "Supposed" to re-link them properly I figure and that did not go so well. To make matters worse the vendor of the new system was of little or no help.

It would be hundreds of hours to recreate all those links manually and even at that it would not be perfect and a lot of mistakes would be made.

So anyone who has the skill who wants to step forward to do this task for free ???

I figure the answer to that is no one has the skill and no one would do it even if they had the skill set.

Frannie

Back
Top Bottom