What I learned on Craigslist

I remember something about those back then, the Selectric Composer perhaps?

Yes, that was it. Looking at your link, I see it was more of a dial than extra buttons.

Or they could buy one from eBay for $50.

They're that much now? I guess they're probably starting to dry up now, so the price is rising...... or the $50 includes shipping. I don't know how much they weigh, but I'd guess as much as an amplifier, or more.

Yes, that was it. Looking at your link, I see it was more of a dial than extra buttons.

They're that much now? I guess they're probably starting to dry up now, so the price is rising...... or the $50 includes shipping. I don't know how much they weigh, but I'd guess as much as an amplifier, or more.

Yes, they're damned heavy.

If a Selectric would connect to a computer and be used as a printer, I'd do it...... I think there were some that were made that way, unless I'm thinking of the Wheelwriter.

From what I remember of the Selectric, it was entirely mechanical. A beautiful piece of engineering!
The golfballs were fiendishly expensive when new - and fragile; if you drop them they break!

I suspect there is something novel about the Selectric from the grey numeric keys. It might have had some data-entry thing going on.

You should see what some of the "beamspring" keyboards (basically, IBM's first generation of free-standing terminals that weren't just Selectric mechanisms) sell for... some do scrape $1000 due to hype and limited supply.

I think I have a box of those golf balls somewhere, leftover from the big charity garage sale. Couldn't bear to throw them out.

I recall a device in the early PC days that was set on top of a Selectric's keyboard and had a solenoid to type each key, turning it into a PC printer. Obviously, they didn't sell many.

Seems reasonable enough. After all, it does play three different types of records. And it would look good in the rec room.

Now this on the other hand - not such a good deal. Yeah, it's not on CL. But the price ...

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass - BIN: US $1,000,000.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Oldsm...ash=item33e2d4d40c:g:Wv4AAOSwJtdaHqjZ&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

I post a Lab 420 turntable. It's been up a year. ( No more ) Guy says I'll be over. Whats my address ? I give it. 2 minutes later : " My car won't start." So now my address is out there.
I post Bozaks. 2 minutes later, my phone dings. " I wanna buy your Bozaks. I'll send you a code, since most cl listings are scams." Now , the number popping up is from New York. I say " I'm no scam. You come here." Last I heard from that one..

Tired of this bullshit. I'm on the verge of tossing this stuff.

I post a Lab 420 turntable. It's been up a year. ( No more ) Guy says I'll be over. Whats my address ? I give it. 2 minutes later : " My car won't start." So now my address is out there.
I post Bozaks. 2 minutes later, my phone dings. " I wanna buy your Bozaks. I'll send you a code, since most cl listings are scams." Now , the number popping up is from New York. I say " I'm no scam. You come here." Last I heard from that one..

Tired of this bullshit. I'm on the verge of tossing this stuff.

I would guess that your address was tossed after the car not starting..... if he were a scammer, I doubt he would have let you know he wasn't coming. I think it was just an excuse after he got yelled at by someone, or some other "better" purchase came up.

I have had pretty decent experiences with Craigslist, when my items have sold. Everyone has been just regular people wanting to buy things. My issue has been items taking forever to move, or not moving at all, because I'm not in a big metro area. The scammers have been very easy to pic out..... I get a text or email asking if I still have the "item" and that they'd really like to purchase it..... Yes, I'm sure you really want to buy a 93 Chrysler Lebaron from MI, when you live in SC, or they're in TX and want to buy boat that's likely not going to be sea worthy.

When it came to the boat, I did have one rude guy. Offered me a pittance, without seeing. I told him, I'd need more than that, mentioned that he hadn't even seen it. He replied that he didn't need to see a salvage boat and that was his offer, as he was picking up one just like it in a few days, for that amount. I told him "good luck with your project". I waited, and the next person paid me double what the first guy offered.

Back
Top Bottom