What is a DAC and why might I need one?

It's a Samsung Nextbook. Only a couple years old at most. I will check out the Topping D30.

Last edited:
The D30 is a superior DAC , it uses a better USB interface chip among other things. Also, do you really want to pay extra for that mediocre headphone amp in the D3? You will also need an OTG USB cable to be able to use the DAC with your Android mobile device.

Last edited:
I will mention the Chromecast Audio one last time, apart from being able to relay the audio stream to a stand-alone DAC it has a built-in DAC as well that some are happy with. You can connect it with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to your system. It is nothing special but likely better than your tablet.

I will check out the Chromecast. I don't really want to buy two things to do one job. I like the D30. I agree on the headphone amp. Don't see the need for it in this application.

gvl, I know you don't care for it much but I have been looking at the Schiit Modi Multibit.

I will check out the Chromecast. I don't really want to buy two things to do one job. I like the D30. I agree on the headphone amp. Don't see the need for it in this application.

gvl, I know you don't care for it much but I have been looking at the Schiit Modi Multibit.

CCA and a separate DAC will complement each other nicely, but CCA can also act as a DAC on its own when needed, sometimes it is just nice a spare device that can work as a DAC for use with mobile devices. Also with CCA you won't need the USB OTG cable, but you will need a Toslink mini to regular cable for connecting it to an external DAC.

As for Modi Multibit, I'm more of an exception to the rule, as everyone is very happy with theirs, so chances are you'll like it too. And unlike some others you have a good baseline to compare it with, which is your Yamaha CDC.

Also don't cheap out on the USB cable, I found they can make a noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm sure someone will say it is nonsense, but this hasn't been my experience. If you end up ordering the Modi also get Schiit PYST USB cables at the same time, they are very good and reasonably priced at only $20.

I use a DAC to get a fiber optic (Toslink) from my Mac Mini computer to the DAC. It works great. The biggest issue is also to get it across the room to my Stereo setup that also has a DAC to get a clean signal into the preamp.

I've been reading a lot on this subject and the Chromecast, which I really like. Going to buy one this weekend. I will most likely order the Modi Multibit soon.

I've been reading a lot on this subject and the Chromecast, which I really like. Going to buy one this weekend. I will most likely order the Modi Multibit soon.

Run Chromecast standalone and see if you like it. There is one setting which you want to have 'ON', something like "Enable Full Dynamic Range". And just to make sure, you want Chromecast Audio, not the Chromecast that can do video and other things.

Thanks for making that distinction. That is my plan. Am I correct in assuming that as it works over WiFi that it doesn't actually need an internet connection to play the music saved on my phone?

Thanks for making that distinction. That is my plan. Am I correct in assuming that as it works over WiFi that it doesn't actually need an internet connection to play the music saved on my phone?

Well, it might need an internet connection for Spotify even if you play previously downloaded content. It should play your own files without the Internet. I don't own one (but it is on my shopping list), perhaps someone who uses it can confirm.

Well so much for going to buy a Chromecast Audio today. None of the Best Buys around here stock them. Kind of a tease to learn about something cool, decide you want one and then find out you cant just go buy one. My Dad was in Best Buy the other day and inquired about DACs and they didnt even know what he was talking about, then tried to sell him a phone. Reminds me of the route Radio Shack took.

Well so much for going to buy a Chromecast Audio today. None of the Best Buys around here stock them. Kind of a tease to learn about something cool, decide you want one and then find out you cant just go buy one. My Dad was in Best Buy the other day and inquired about DACs and they didnt even know what he was talking about, then tried to sell him a phone. Reminds me of the route Radio Shack took.

Did you go online and check local BB inventories for the CCA?

Eric

No BBs within 250 miles of me had them in stock. By chance I found one on clearance at Wal Mart for $25 got the last one. I really like it so far. Much better sounding than the headphone output of my tablet. Hooked it up to my 80s boombox at work. Now to my home setup. It brings to light another issue though. My internet speed sucks and there are too many people trying to do too many things with then internet at my house. Can't do too much about it except put my foot down, which will result in me cooking my own dinner and washing my own clothes. Thanks guys, for pushing me along on this quest, much appreciated. Got an Anniversary coming up that requires my hard earned money so the DAC, whatever I decide on will likely have to wait until next month.

It could be a Wi-Fi issue, not necessarily the Internet speed. Spotify doesn't really require much bandwidth, but if everybody is streaming Netflix at the same time it could be the Internet speed as well, and Wi-Fi too.

I take it all back!!!!! Lots of dropouts in the music. I can't even keep the tablet connected to the CCA. At one point I had music playing through the CCA with the tablet and a different song playing through the tablet speakers. Both from Spotify, at the same time. I gotta say, I don't have these kinds of frustration with vinyl and CDs.

My son is downloading some ginormous video game file and my daughter lives on Netflix when she isn't working. The wife just plays Candy Crush or trolls Facebook. All this on something between 3 and 4 Mb/second. Gotta love living in the middle of nowhere...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom