What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Pioneer PL550

Simple. Manual. Rock Steady. And what a looker.

When they are re-done in proper wood veneer; tough to beat.

I'll also mention the Denon 52F as well. Didn't see it posted, yet.

It's funny, I answered this thread a couple years ago, naming the Sota as my pick, sighting it's relative youth as a potential dis-qualifier. As I skim through this again, I see mention of several newer tables, like Well Tempered. How old does a table need to be to "vintage"? Maybe no newer than 1990?

Also, although not really the "best", but I think the Rega P-3 deserves at least an honorable mention... an amazingly capable player, and so simple!

A little Deox spray and my Marantz 6300 DD keeps on turning, purchased new in 1976.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 28
"Best" is in the eye (and perhaps ear!) of the beholder.
My two belt-drive Technics SL-B200's are fine "daily drivers"... well made, easy to use and "quiet" enough (wow and flutter: 0.045% wrms; rumble: -70dB.)
My direct drive Dual 606 (wow and flutter: 0.03% wrms; rumble: -75 dB) gets used when I feel like a change... but I rotate all sorts of vintage gear through my stereo system when I feel like it... it's a hobby!
Cheers,
Roger

The Sony PS-X6 and PS-X7 are fine vintage turntables. Another very nice vintage turntable which passed through my hands was this Pioneer PL-50. Older than other high end Pioneer's mentioned here, but a but a beautiful and rock solid table. I gifted it to a friend.

Having owned several I find that I am rarely surprised anymore by a turntable. Good wood plinth, good heavy platter, simple tonearm and belt drive all = solid sound. The ones I've expected to sound good and did but that are surprising simply because they are relatively cheap upfront:

Acoustic Research XA
Philips 212 (really solid sound even though the tonearm looks somewhat dinky)

On the more expensive side
Thorens 160 / 145
Pioneer 6300
Technics 1500/1600/1700

And then a few oddballs
Harman Kardon HK 720 was very surprising to me for the price
Scott PS-87A

I've owned dozens of other technics, sanyos, sonys, pioneers, duals, JVC, etc. and these are the ones I'd actually keep in my system (I've been using the Thorens TD145 the most/longest)

Also, for the record, just to be contrary, I really am not a fan of most of the common Dual turntables. I just can't stand idler drive tables. They are nice when working but man do I see a lot that have hardened idler wheels and replacing them is MUCH more difficult than a belt.

Very nice tables on here, I have been up most of the night setting up, damping, and improving the looks of my old Kenwood kd5066. Made my own simple tracking line with paper, now i realize proper setup is as important as the table brand, After contemplating a new turntable, i decided not to get a new one and give this old warhorse another 20 years, The sound now is dynamic , clean, and not embarrassing lol .loving it! 16522846_788354917987778_672738314_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have a thorens td121, which is a lighter weight 33rpm only version of the 124. It is quite rare and i wouldn't swap it for a 124 for the following reasons.
the alloy platter is heavy enough and doesn't attract mc cartridges.
the bearing spindle is 10mm rather than 13mm and there is no removable bottom on the housing. If the spindle is ok, you can still get new bushes.
the idler , belts, switch etc are the same.
On a good plinth it sounds just as good to me and its rarity means I'm keeping it.

is that you on that wave timofred? Port has some great beaches!
My photo, unknown rider. about 6-7 years ago, haven't seen it as nice since then.
We have good beaches, but, the underwater geology/landscape doesn't give good surf as often as it should.

We have some great surf beaches here in the northern Illawarra. I enjoyed them when I was younger, now I'm not game with a pacemaker I listen to more vinyl.

Technics SL-1200mkII.
I bought mine new (two turntables) in 1993. I use it daily. Fast forward 8,760 days to today which I am proud to say out of all the audio equipment I've used in my life, only the 1200 turntable has remained faithful as an audio companion. Granted I take care of my things and despite the many-many adventures and crazy nights/mornings of deejaying gigs, my 1200 still works perfect. And I mean perfect. No issues! Yes, even the speed is correct. What other brand/model has performed for 25 years without ANY issues?

Technics SL-1200mkII.
I bought mine new (two turntables) in 1993. I use it daily. Fast forward 8,760 days to today which I am proud to say out of all the audio equipment I've used in my life, only the 1200 turntable has remained faithful as an audio companion. Granted I take care of my things and despite the many-many adventures and crazy nights/mornings of deejaying gigs, my 1200 still works perfect. And I mean perfect. No issues! Yes, even the speed is correct. What other brand/model has performed for 25 years without ANY issues?
I'm using an sl1401 which has the same motor but is suspended (4 springs) and auto return which is great for taping and late night. If I ever needed to upgrade the technics arm, I'd go find a 1200 mk2

Technics SL-1200mkII.

My Sony PS-X5 is older and still rock solid, BUT it does have an issue with the strobe light... so Technics still wins!

I'm still loving my trusty crusty old pioneer pl518. Old tank that has never falter on me. I rotate out with a solid pl7 and my denon Dp 45.
Still kicking myself in the ass for not jumping on a Sony ps-x60 for $175 when I had a chance.

Back
Top Bottom