What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

I've owned many different tables over my record collecting years, beginning in the 1970s with a wonderful Yamaha with a dark wood plinth. I forget the model number. I've also owned the PL-518 mentioned above and other Pioneers.

For the past 7 years or so, my tables have been the JVC QL Y75F and Technics SL-1200, with Shure MX97E and Grado Blue carts, respectively. I love them both. The 1200 is my main table, the 75 is on the upstairs office/reading room system. The JVC is prettier, but I prefer the 1200 because I can adjust the pitch, something I like doing on a whim with certain songs, e.g., try playing Bowie's version of China Girl slowed way down. I also have a Jimi Hendrix boot that plays way too fast and it takes using the pitch control to bring it down to normal playback. Also, the start/stop functions on the 1200 allow are quick and easy, making tape recording for mix tapes and such a breeze. It also allows for easy queueing up at the start of a track, because you can turn the table by hand in reverse with the stylus in the groove. All that great DJ stuff, in other words. ;)

All that said, there are so many great turntables out there, vintage and new. It all depends on your likes and preferences.

Last edited:
For me, the best sounding TT's I ever heard was a Garrad 401/SME3012/Decca Cartridge and a Schopper/Swissonor TD124/Swissonor TA10 tonearm/ Ortofon Quintet Blue. IMHO, the Idler driven TT's have the punch Vinyl needs to bring up the best in sound. Unfortunately both TT cost reconditioned a awful lot of Money. I could only afford a TD125 MkII :oops: but OK. I am happy with my system and the way it sound. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1032472

What cool headshell is that? Is that the stock tonearm?

http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/22/06/2010/a-short-history-of-ortofon-pick-up-cartridges/

SPU_Gold_Reference_GM.jpg

Hi "doctor fuse"
Thank you to "theophile" for help and clarification.:thumbsup:

Headshell is a new but oldfashioned looking Ortofon #1-E MC build into a headshell already as explained above. Tonearm is a Thomas Schick 9,6" from a small manufacturer in Germany. Affordable, accurate build and an excellent choice to carry the Ortofons SPU's.

I read elsewhere on AK that they were manufactured by CEC, who also marketed a very similar Hitachi.....can't verify it, though.
Hitachi OEMed - my opinion based on internal and external layouts - JVC, Yamaha & Denon DD servo models. The CEC OEM klan more resemble Micro Seiki in my general impression. Jut speculating in an absence of Japanese confirmation.

My modded TD-160 is pretty good, but I'm on the lookout for a TD-125 Mk II. I have some 50 year old Brazilian rosewood I'm saving for the plinth!

Yes, it is. Over 430 posts and counting with no such thing as a right answer. :confused:

I thought my post made it clear but I went thru the entire thread and don't see my post. I must have been thinking of a different thread. But without a doubt the best all around vintage turntable would be the Thoren's Refernce tables. Production run of 100 tables. ;)

1d5752b4303e21b8259b2b11e3502950.jpg 1097889-thorens-reference-turntable.jpg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...E8C2C18570A6293A7999E8C2C18570A6293&FORM=VIRE

http://theanalogdept.com/reference.htm

Last edited:
I was a big fan of the Versa Dynamics V 2.0 at around the same time as the Goldmund. But I preferred the Goldmund’s presentation and build. What a beauty!

Out of curiosity, would any of the Weathers or Rek-o-Kut turntables among the best for at least their time?

Back
Top Bottom