What is the BEST Class D, TPA, TDA chip amp available?

Do you like Class A amps over D?

Yes, my preference seems to be:

Tube
Class A
Class A/B
Class D

Obviously a good Class D is better than a bad Class AB etc, but overall these are my preferences. I do like fooling around with the cheap Class D designs...they are a lot of fun. I keep thinking I'll find one that really is a "Giant Killer" but it hasn't happened yet.

Yes, my preference seems to be:

Tube
Class A
Class A/B
Class D

Obviously a good Class D is better than a bad Class AB etc, but overall these are my preferences. I do like fooling around with the cheap Class D designs...they are a lot of fun. I keep thinking I'll find one that really is a "Giant Killer" but it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for your input. So you would think something like this should blow the doors off of my current Volt+ Class D amplifier right?

https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-120-power-amplifier

Thanks for your input. So you would think something like this should blow the doors off of my current Volt+ Class D amplifier right?

https://avahifi.com/collections/power-amplifiers/products/vision-set-120-power-amplifier

I haven't heard it so I can't comment. Remember, what one person likes, another may not. I don't listen loud, I value tonality, soundstaging, micro dynamics and imaging more than loudness, punch, macro dynamics and bass extension. What I like, someone else might think is very mediocre. Everyone is different and there is no "best" amp or amp type.

I haven't heard it so I can't comment. Remember, what one person likes, another may not. I don't listen loud, I value tonality, soundstaging, micro dynamics and imaging more than loudness, punch, macro dynamics and bass extension. What I like, someone else might think is very mediocre. Everyone is different and there is no "best" amp or amp type.

True. This hobby is so subjective. But my tastes are similar to yours, however at times depending what kind of music I am listening to, I really like to crank it up but still want it to sound great while doing so.

True. This hobby is so subjective. But my tastes are similar to yours, however at times depending what kind of music I am listening to, I really like to crank it up but still want it to sound great while doing so.

Do the current amps not "rock the house" ?
How big is the listening area ?

Do the current amps not "rock the house" ?
How big is the listening area ?

Yeah. I have only maxed out my volume control once on my Yamaha dac/pre. Most of the time i am in between 1/2 and 3/4ths volume. Its actually a fairly small area. I also know that not all watts are created equal. So 5 VERY high quality watts might play just as loud as 30 decent watts.

Some amps "listen louder" at lower levels than others, usually related to clarity and dynamic liveliness. Efficient speakers can be dynamically lively of themselves.

Well with those speakers ... you have a lot of low power options! And while I don't have one in the SS/ Class A camp and packing 8 watts per channel ... I'd also consider this guy by Nelson Pass ...:
https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/amp-camp-amp/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

Looks very nice and interesting. However i don't have the patience for a diy amp. If there is anyone out there building these and selling them complete, I am game.

I've spent time with both and your Volt+ is the better choice.

It seems that you have used quite a few amps in your time, that's why I value your opinion. You have given me some GREAT advice over the past few years. I think you even put me in contact with Flewatt. Too bad he isn't still building amps. But you must be VERY impressed with the Volt because it seems like your go to amp of choice.

Re the Volt+D, much more payout can get you more power, but whether that gets you more nuance, transparency, detailing, better imaging and dynamic scaling within limits is debatable.

Re the Volt+D, much more payout can get you more power, but whether that gets you more nuance, transparency, detailing, better imaging and dynamic scaling within limits is debatable.

Having much more payout and more power is a GREAT thing. Having it be a dual mono design is most likely a plus as well. As long as it gets me even slightly better sound quality or even the same sound quality I am used to with the normal Volt+, I am good with the other reasons to upgrade.

Beyond the +D would be a considerable jump in price, I don't think I've heard anything better in my admittedly limited experience for intimate critical listening.

Beyond the +D would be a considerable jump in price, I don't think I've heard anything better in my admittedly limited experience for intimate critical listening.

It's still hard for me to wrap my head around this. Something so inexpensive and unassuming can sound soooooo good. Everything in the high end audio world screams expensive is better. Not the case. But I was thinking about posting a thread about how much better can you get and how much would you have to pay to hear significant improvements in what we are already getting with the Volt. There has to be a point where we stop chasing the dragon and just be happy.

Like a few posts ago, about the AVA SET 120. I am sure it is a GREAT amp. But is it $770 greater than the Volt+D????
Probably not. And now this $33 pre-amp that Poultrygeist loves and raves about! I mean you have a SERIOUS Hi-Fi separates pre-amp combo for $162?!?!?!?!?! That I bet if you put it up against another set up costing 10x that amount, most people wouldn't even hear the difference.

Back
Top Bottom