What is the best sounding Marantz Receiver?

Never met bigger and stronger Marantz receivers. :(
The 2216 I have is a wonderful sounding little unit. The 2230 is more powerful with it's 2x30W, but for me the 2216 sounding better. Maybe it's just due to spekers. JBL L19 on 2216, JBL L40 on 2230.

Have worked on the smaller Marantz receivers. They were good performers. Like yours.

Eric

I've seen the 4270 mentioned a couple times.
What is the usefulness of this quad receiver with 2 channel media?
Is it any different than running two pair of speakers on a 2 channel system?
I ask because A) they look wonderful B) I have a glut of L100s and it sounds like fun if it's different than 2 channel / 4 spkrs.

It sounds better than the 2270 in stereo mode imo. That's enough reason for me. I suspect it has a more robust power supply to be able to run in quad mode.

I'd take a 4270 in a heartbeat. I've owned 2270's a couple of times and well, horses for courses, but for me it's a "No thanks".

It sounds better than the 2270 in stereo mode imo. That's enough reason for me. I suspect it has a more robust power supply to be able to run in quad mode.

I'd take a 4270 in a heartbeat. I've owned 2270's a couple of times and well, horses for courses, but for me it's a "No thanks".

Having both, I do find a slight edge with the 2270. That I paid for. Now has a crabby relay. My first 4270 is a gem. Unlike my bedroom system, it lives in the living room. It was free. It was so dirtY when I got it. The guy who gave it to me said his son blew it out. He didn’t. He blew the speakers! After a good cleaning and new light I let it run on the bench for a month. It was too good to be a bench amp. Moved to the living room. Great match with JBL 100s and small Pioneers on the back. I run it in two channel. In this setting. Contrary to my first post here it is my best system. I may even move this 4270 to my bedroom. Part of the fun of this hobby. Stay tuned. This is a fun post reading everyone’s posts!

Lots of people like the 2270 for good reason. It pairs really well with the smaller modern speakers that people like, and looks good doing it.
Like what suits you and your tastes until you find something you like more. I've heard other people rave about stuff I don't like at all, and lots of people could give a roaring rip about stuff I think is great.

Still like my 2270. Where the 4270 is located I won’t mess with. The 2270 sounds greet in my bedroom set. Just got to get that relay issue fixed. Comes and goes!

Just replace the relay. It's easy and cheap enough that I don't even bother cleaning them.

Hi, I just finish rebuilding a Marantz 2285 BD , using Elna Silmic II and Nichicon PW and Wima I would recommend it , the sound is fantastic , I have a set of JBL L71 and it makes them sing very well, I would recommend it , keep on ROCK'N Baby!

Hi, I just finish rebuilding a Marantz 2285 BD , using Elna Silmic II and Nichicon PW and Wima I would recommend it , the sound is fantastic , I have a set of JBL L71 and it makes them sing very well, I would recommend it , keep on ROCK'N Baby!

JBL L71?? that's a rare bird!

I have a 2285BD as well, only partially recapped but the large filter caps have been restuffed with new caps. It does sound similar to my 2330B which is recapped. They have a lot more detailed and less midbass compared to the none B's, but still warm. My stock 2500 doesn't sound as good, just brute power is all.

I had four of the 2275, and now down to one which was totally recapped. And the 2325 comes out to play once in a while.

As said, a 4270 has the switch to run 2 channel mode. It does not have a built in quad decoder, those were plug in units in the bottom. It does have on board DOLBY.

Even in quad mode, there is a stereo selector on the front that splits the signal to both front and rear. In that mode selector you also get a quad matrix mode to fool with.

Having had and fixed and restored too many 4270, I would warn everyone that there are very complicated and packed into the case. Recapping them is a serious piece of work.
Once recapped and fixed, they are impressive.

I've had or still own 2216, 2230, 2270, 2275, 3300\250.

2275 sounds best in my world, followed closely by the 3300\250.

I've had or still own 2216, 2230, 2270, 2275, 3300\250.

2275 sounds best in my world, followed closely by the 3300\250.

Is a 33/250M combo close?

This is going to be Audiobeer's soon.....
Mk67Tfo.jpg

Bob

Back
Top Bottom