What is the best sounding Marantz Receiver?

Yes, but remember, Chris, the amps inside the receivers are a version of the integrated amps which are a version of the amps.

WOW, It's easy to see how lost people get. This thread starts off nice but some really had to throw separates in which are not receivers. I read on other forums that this forum said the 2330 was the best sounding, so I bought one. Now I see it's mentioned once in this thread. Half the people don't say what speakers they were using which really makes the difference when the sound is produced, nor do they mention what type of music they listen to. Somehow this simple question got lost in translation. I have been waiting 4 months now since it went into the shop, I picked up a 2216 euro and it sounds great when running ohm FRS 11's and C2's in a near field setup. harder to dial in with just two tone controls since it splits upper bass and mids on both the bass and treble controls but in near field with volume under 4 you can actually feel the sonic waves of bass separation coming at you without pounding the volume. the C2's add when tucked under each desk pointed up at an angle filling the space. I run pure radio and listen to mostly vintage rock from the 70's or classical or smooth jazz whenever it pops on a block format. Just my 2 cents so far until i get the 2330 back.

WOW, It's easy to see how lost people get. This thread starts off nice but some really had to throw separates in which are not receivers. I read on other forums that this forum said the 2330 was the best sounding, so I bought one. Now I see it's mentioned once in this thread. Half the people don't say what speakers they were using which really makes the difference when the sound is produced, nor do they mention what type of music they listen to. Somehow this simple question got lost in translation. I have been waiting 4 months now since it went into the shop, I picked up a 2216 euro and it sounds great when running ohm FRS 11's and C2's in a near field setup. harder to dial in with just two tone controls since it splits upper bass and mids on both the bass and treble controls but in near field with volume under 4 you can actually feel the sonic waves of bass separation coming at you without pounding the volume. the C2's add when tucked under each desk pointed up at an angle filling the space. I run pure radio and listen to mostly vintage rock from the 70's or classical or smooth jazz whenever it pops on a block format. Just my 2 cents so far until i get the 2330 back.

2330, 2330B or 2230? All 3 of them will have a different flavor in their sound.

Also, speakers *do* indeed matter and are often overlooked in these conversations. I've found that my lower powered receivers often sound better with more efficient speakers than my higher-powered receivers do. And on the flip side, the higher power receivers run more demanding speakers better than the lower powered ones do (even at lower volumes where technically only a few watts should come into play).

For instance, with my Marantz Imperial 6's my 2238B sounds slightly better running them than my 2285B does. But if I use a speaker like a modern Elac Debut B6, the 2285B sounds better with those (all of this is at moderate volumes, mind you).

People often dismiss it, but I do think there is different synergy between certain speaker/amp combos.

Ive had 2226B,2265B,2270, Didn't fall in love with any of them. Recently picked up a 2010 my favorite Marantz so far. Used to power Klipsch Chorus 2's Hard to believe how good they sound together.

Ive had 2226B,2265B,2270, Didn't fall in love with any of them. Recently picked up a 2010 my favorite Marantz so far. Used to power Klipsch Chorus 2's Hard to believe how good they sound together.[/QUOTE

Low powered Marantz amps and receivers are sleepers. Have three systems with bigger amps. All sound great. Happy with my 4270 and 2270. Both using JBL speakers. I have never been disappointed with low power Marantz amps or receivers. Just got a 4415 receiver. Wanted a Marantz as my bench amp. Regrettably sold of my 1030. All Marantz stuff is going up. Have two 4415s. The first one I got with the FM not working. No problem as I have a NAD tuner I can use. Found a second 4415 fully working. The sound is impressive on both. Will likely flip the no working FM 4415.

Spent yesterday (Mon 8-24) listening to music in my shop. Hooked up the second 4415. The face plate was better on unit one so I swopped them. Hooked my second pr of JBL Decade 26s up front with AR 4X on the back. I like 4 channel receivers as you can fade front to back or left to right. These receivers really like ARs. Years ago I fixed a small Marantz quad for a friend and delivered it to them. She had 4 ARs. Put on a classical LP. She was a music teacher. You hear the raspiness of the bow going across the strings of the violin! I never forgot how good it sounded. A lot of how stuff sounds depends on matching receivers to speakers. Spent years of trial and error. My biggest error was using Marantz receivers with Marantz speakers. Never was quite right. Blamed the receivers. Did not like them in the seventies. By accident I tied a free 4270 to my JBL 100s. Have used Marantz receiver ever since. Been 10 yrs. Back in the 70s I did not like the way JBL Decades sounded with a Kenwood 7100. Mismatch. But they sound good with Marantz stuff. Matching is key.

Back to 4415. Great sounding with my setup. Have three turntables hooed to it. Using mixers. Off the tape I have a tape switch box for a Tascam CDR and a Nak cassette deck. The shop is very listenable. Great acoustics considering cement floors with cement blocks.and a open ceiling. Sound was not fatiqing. Great time during hurricane Henri( Hank). A real sleeper!

Eric

my 2c
I have
two 2270
2215b
2238b
2285b
on the board they follows.., 2238b, 2215b, 2230, 2285b, 2270, i didnt test 2010 for real. I will do when my switch selector is ready.
All tested on Klipsch rp160m. Soon I am buying a new pair of rp280f s.
Funny that I am listening 2285b the most.

For a receiver, my vote would be the 2270 or 2285b. But the best sounding Marantz off all is not a receiver. It is some of their earlier separates. That would be the Model 7c preamp and model 8B power amp. The later SS gear may be more powerful, but does not have the SQ of their tube gear.

From the solid state era of Marantz, the best SS sounding Marantz would be the 15 16 and 16b dual monoblock amps ; two chassis screwed together by a common faceplate. At one time, I owned just about every model Marantz produced, so have had the rare opportunity to listen to 99% of them.

Back
Top Bottom