What is the best vintage receiver for speakers Dynaco A-25 ?

Receivers were really not part of the vocabulary of the mindset that developed the A25s. I love My A25s - I went through a lot of speakers before I settled on them for the best choice for my tube rig (an updated Dynaco ST-35 with a modern PAS-based preamp). Dynaco never made a receiver - they were put out of business by Sansui and Marantz and the Japanese invasion that followed, so while there may be some very good sonic matchups, I'd have to say that there never really was a receiver that had good juju with A25s.

A big hello dynaco fans, boy are we all in good taste or what :banana::banana::banana:

I had a very early marantz, their top integrated with no receiver with my dynaco 25's, and must agree muddy it was not at all.
I think I had a Phillips tube tuner and a AT 12 cartridge and live vinyl on FM:bowdown::bowdown:

I pulled the fiberglass vent and put a horn tweeter in, adjusted to still available air venting space around horn, and everybody wanted to hear the new "Boston" album At rubes place, which was fine with me cause they brought various wet and dry refreshments.

I worked at a music store and folks came from far and wide to hear the rig, this "Muddy" issue is a real illusion introduced by audiophiles, which are not the same a music lovers, TONE is what makes a rig stand out, good tone has zero listeners fatigue, listeners fatigue is most times the result of a over bright system thats seeks to show perfect detail, at the cost of tone and healing peaceful listening.

although sometimes it comes from a boom bastic woofer too.

I say this not to cast ill on imaging, but it has gone way way way to far, the idea that a good music rig can give you listeners fatigue, is crazy nuts, and proof some thing is way the heck off course from its original desired destination.

If you listen and look clearly, most perfect sound stage detailing rigs, have a very dark sound cold sound, though many do get around it and sound wonderful, but cold and dark is the trend.

HI def is the tail that waged the dog of good music into the woods, IMHO

years ago i met a musician "Tish Hinojosa" and complimented her on the wild perfect beautiful stage imaging of her album, she said- """""that is a compliment i will pass to the engineer, but actually,,,,, we were all in different rooms with our own mic, ,
There was no sound stage, and most of the drums were put in later.""""

Last edited:
HI I had a very early marantz, their top integrated with no reciever with my dynaco 25's, and must agree muddy it was not at all.
I think I had a Phillips tube tuner and a AT 12 cartridge.

I pulled the fiberglass vent and put a horn tweeter in, adjusted to still available air venting space around horn, and everybody wanted to hear the new "Boston" album At rubes place, which was fine with me cause they brought various wet and dry refreshments.

I worked at a music store and folks came from far and wide to hear the rig, this "Muddy" issue is a real illusion introduced by audiophiles, which are not the same a music lovers, TONE is what makes a rig stand out, good tone has zero listeners fatigue, listeners fatigue is most times the result of a over bright system thats seeks to show perfect detail, at the cost of tone and healing peaceful listening.

although sometimes it comes from a boom bastic woofer too.

I say this not to cast ill on imaging, but it has gone way way way to far, the idea that a good music rig can give you listeners fatigue, is crazy nuts, and proof some thing is way the heck off course from its original desired destination.

If you listen and look clearly, most perfect sound stage detailing rigs, have a very dark sound cold sound, though many do get around it and sound wonderful, but cold and dark is the trend.

HI def is the tail that waged the dog of good music, years ago i met a musician "Tish Hinojosa" and complimented her on the wild perfect beautiful stage imaging of her album, she said- """""that is a compliment i will pass to the engineer, but actually,,,,, we all in different rooms,
There was no stage, and most of the drums were put in later.""""

I appreciate your enthusiasm for audio and tread lightly in the subjective arena. The one not insignificant flaw here is that none of the coloration you relish exists in real time live hearing. I can think of no genre of music that is better as a time shifted reproduction.

Hi So. Cal.

it did sound better and was the real sound at grateful dead concerts with two story high stacks of 8 inch speakers to keep the music mid range, and was judged by absolute Sound as the sweetest and most perfect imaging sound stage live in the world. and those engineers were going after a Dynaco 25 sound, which was in every hippy's living room, and the guy who sold me my dynaco's went on the sell his hand made guitar pick ups around the world, from Bonnie Raite to the Who and Lou Reed, everyone wanted a piece of Jerry Garcia's hypnotic dream land mid range romantic paper speaker sound, cause it was total frigging trance hypnosis a go-go to be at a concert then, mostly because of tubes, and mid range producing "PAPER" speakers. that even today are some of the most expensive in the world.

every sound you heard was domain shifted, and yet the people loved each other.

WOW what a come back to So. Cal's post, sure showed him up :wtf:

Nope, NOT at all So. Cal is exactly right, to a great degree, while hi def rigs do way much better on Violin's and many many other things, So Cal has heard the real deal, un produced music, un amped, raw and in the nude, the real feel, live and no amps, --music.

But So. Cal I can not sit in a room with that live perfect stuff anymore, I want my rig to sound like a woman's voice cooing my name.

Cal's right, tho,,,,,truly-

pianos suffer greatly once reproduced, it takes 30 inches per second of good chrome tape or a single piano for a digital recording to really get a piano right, if at all, cause CD's have so little room to record on them, and tape "Glares" at slow speeds

For me and many I think, except for the very nice folks into jazz, I do not like be at a concerts anymore,,,, most times, the sound is too harsh, people are spaced out, happy but nervous, the horns glare, the cymbals have too much ear bleeding sharp tone, cause the facts are for me, I want Tamed music in a safe place, fur like, opioid wafes of dream world sweetness,and I want to own it, for me, un forgiving, audiophile grade modern digital music is a perfect soulless photo of the music, but analog dynacos where a classic oil painting of the music you could start a romance with,,,,,the world.

So. Cal, thanks for your input, cause you nailed it, I bet your a non electrified musician with a great ear.????

I now have a analog driven digital amp, real soft tube like edges, that allows me to listen to CD's with altered soft edged detailed notes that hang with the solidity of fruit in the air, almost zero listeners fatigue.

THANK YOU JERRY

Last edited:
On the Sansui receivers I own they termed coloration as Turnover and had switches so you could play music with or without any EQ coloration. For my listening taste I always run the amp in completely flat mode with no EQ at all. Adding bass or filtering of any of the spectrum seemed to cause listener fatigue while running flat was as close to clean music as I could get. Coming from the age of vinyl it was rather common to want to mask the snap, crackle and pops but in doing so you also masked the sound of the music. Spinning a good album on my Luxman PD 121 with a Denon MC cartridge is all the warmth I ever need.

I have my A-25’s paired with a Marantz 2220B with my streaming running through an FX Audio Tube Buffer. Direct CD and Phono channels sound great. I am looking for more punch through the streaming, but that’s to be expected right?

I do have a Sansui TA-500 that I’d like to swap the 2220B out for some more power to drive these speakers a bit...

Back
Top Bottom