What Is This.....

sol7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
How does this happen?? It looks like corroded steel.

shurestylus.jpg

Must be the business end of a cutting machine cause it's not a stylus... at least not anymore.
It is probably fine when the crud is removed it is possibly fine I have seen worse things can lok way worse than they are.
Chris

Sonus D5 Stylus Before.jpg
This is a Sonus Dimension 5 stylus after it sat for 15 years in a damp basement. I cleaned most of the fuzzy-looking crap away but the cantilever was twisted by corrosion.

It's the stylus on my Shure M95ED. I hope I didn't use this on too many albums.

I'll throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner and see what comes of it.

Styli can have a lot of different looks under a USB (I assume) microscope. The same stylus will look different in different lighting. Different stones have different color, but they mostly look greenish, amber or clear/slightly cloudy. Bonded stones can look blackish.

Magic eraser works very well at cleaning the stylus. Dipping the stylus into the eraser and very gently moving it ever so slightly fore and aft gives very good results. Clean the stylus and let's see it again.

It is probably fine when the crud is removed it is possibly fine I have seen worse things can lok way worse than they are.
I had a stylus so encrusted I wasn't even sure the stone was there. Yours is merely 'dusty' in comparison. After cleaning, it turned out to be a Stanton Stereohedron; in great shape too. BTW, that's a good close-up — how'd you get it?

Just a normal 'scope, not a USB thing? Did you remove the eyepiece, or shoot through it?

Back
Top Bottom