What Is This.....

It looks like a line contact stylus mounted 90 degrees off, then dipped in a cup of army coffee.

It's not too bad, judging from the pic. But still normal cleaning may not be enough. Magic Eraser only removes the easy stuff, and solvents/brushes don't affect baked-on crud. A stylus, hitting a scratch or grit, can generate a temperature of 400°C, so it can be really baked on. BTW, that's why cleaning a record immaculately can still have lots of noise — that 400° melted a crater in the vinyl.

I tried everything on my Stanton: nothing worked. Finally I used a scalpel — carved it off, true surgery.

But yours isn't NEARLY that bad.

Well, I threw it in the USC for about 15min. What came out is, well.... I'll let you decide.

I'm completely surprised. I mean, it looked like a rock I picked out of the driveway. A diamond in the rough....

Not sure if it's actually tilted or just the angle of view.

shurestylus3.jpg

shurestylus4.jpg

It's the stylus on my Shure M95ED. I hope I didn't use this on too many albums.

I'll throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner and see what comes of it.

From that angle it looks pretty good. Well done.

I had an Empire S906E that looked at least that bad. It took 4 or 5 trips through the US cleaner but it eventually cleaned up very well and revealed a nearly pristine diamond.

Interestingly, I later acquired another S906E, this one NOS and of a later type, and noticed that the boss to which the diamond was attached was either gold or gold plated. My thought is that Empire must have discovered that the material they were using for the boss was highly susceptible to corrosion that would eventually overgrow the stylus tip. Gold, being inert, doesn't corrode.

Can you look straight down on the stylus with that scope to check for wear?

Well it sure looks clean, now I would be concerned about the cantilever suspension after being in the USC for 15 minutes.

Well, I threw it in the USC for about 15min. What came out is, well.... I'll let you decide.

I'm completely surprised. I mean, it looked like a rock I picked out of the driveway. A diamond in the rough....

Not sure if it's actually tilted or just the angle of view.

shurestylus3.jpg

shurestylus4.jpg
Mount that sucker and drop it onto some Led Zeppelin baby!

I have ±20 carts over 40 years old, from humble MMs to arrogant MCs. Their suspensions are fine. Only one went bad, and it's notorious for that.

What solution did you use in the USC?

I can, but is such a narrow depth of view.

I found when using a microscope looking straight down, or better, looking at the stylus at the same angle it would hit the groove, the wear can be seen somewhat effectively using a strong flashlight from the side. And it absolutely is a very small depth.

Remember the image you are looking at will be mirrored, so light on the right side will reflect the facet on the left of the stylus looking into the scope. Get the flashlight as close as you can and move it slightly in a rotational direction to get some varied reflective input. I have looked at a lot of styli and it's pretty tricky to get the image and focus and lighting and position just so as to be confident you are seeing it right. Or maybe it's that I have a couple styli I REALLY want to be in better shape than they are and don't want to believe that big oval reflection is accurate!!

There is a sticky in the TT section on making a stylus inspecting microscope set up. It is designed around a stereo microscope, but a monocular scope should work

I've always wondered... maybe you guys can clarify. As a stylus wears, it gets smooth. It will lose detail, resolution etc, but how does it damage the groove? A line-contact worn smooth may end up like a conical, friendly to records. And if they only lose sharpness, and retain the larger contact area, wouldn't they be very friendly?

I wouldn't call a conical 'friendly to records'. Its contact points are the smallest of any.

I do wonder, as you do, why a worn stylus is worse...

Back
Top Bottom