What is your least favorite music genre?

I'm all for people disliking rap or R&B but to say they aren't music or don't qualify as music is simply offensive and honestly shouldn't be tolerated on a music forum in my opinion.
I prefer to let the various genres stand on their own merits rather than stifle the discussion. I agree with you that R&B qualifies as music.

I think anyone who knows enough about a genre could convert the stoutest of naysayers, I never liked metal until someone played me ride the lightning by Metallica. I ended up listening to thrash, death, doom and anything in-between metal, one of my favourite albums is Sabbat's Dreamweaver, I never liked classical until I heard Mozart. I never liked house music until I heard The Orb. It's not straight house but it crossed me over...I never liked blues until I heard Ry Cooder, I didn't like soul until I heard Al Green, I didn't like techno until I heard Joey Beltram, I didn't like Gospel until I heard Johny Cash, who originally got me into country, I didn't like jazz until I heard Tony Bennett and the Ralph Sharan Trio, now I have loads of jazz and can savour SunRa... I didn't like folk music until I heard The levellers, I didn't like opera until I heard Maria Callas, I didn't like rap until I heard The beastie boys, I didn't like downtempo until I heard Massive Attack, I thought their album Blue lines an amazing album until years later I realised it was a rip off when I heard Spectrum by Billy Cobham, I didn't even like jazz fusion until I heard Billy Cobham, I didn't like Bossa Nova until I heard Antonio Carlos Jobim, I didn't like traditional Irish until I heard The Pogues and Christy Moore, the Pogues are pretty punk and he's not purist but my ears were opened. I didn't like bluegrass until I heard The Knotty Pine String band in a pub in Donegal one night, I didn't even know there was a genre called bluegrass FFS! I didn't like drum and bass until I heard LTJ Bukem, I didn't like dubstep until I heard Shackleton, I didn't like electro until I heard Two Lone Swordsmen, the best gig I've ever been to is an electro gig by a guy from USA calls himself Egyptian Lover, closely followed by Tony Bennett, Al Green, Lee Scratch Perry or the Orb, I can't decide. They were all amazing. OK some of the experimental stuff is made by and for LSD use, and some of us have managed to get our heads around LSD inspired or Heroin/MDMA inspired music without taking the drug. If you ever heard the Master Musicians of Joujouka you might be wondering what it's all about, I certainly did, but they've played Glastonbury! so if a rake of dudes are buzzing having a jam and in the process some dudes are having a great time enjoying it, rock the funk on brothers, as for this "what's your least favourite genre" question is like asking someone into food what sort of cuisine they don't like, oh, I think I'll have the msg laden Chinese with salmonella eggs fried rice and why don't you stick on some Billy Ray Cyrus to poison my ears as well as my mouth while I eat it.

Gee, it was just a general question. You can like music in every genre, but I'm sure there's one or more that, as a whole, doesn't stir you like other music you listen to. I try to keep an open mind, but some things just never click.

Reactions: Rt8
Is Polka a genre?.....lol
Polka sounds great after a few Stroh's.

15854575694_b2c1d2b9a3_o.jpg

Gee, it was just a general question. You can like music in every genre, but I'm sure there's one or more that, as a whole, doesn't stir you like other music you listen to. I try to keep an open mind, but some things just never click.
It's s bit of fun bobsvinyl that's all,
There's no accounting for taste! I think the foundations of music are well established and all the genres are diced up from there.

I'm all for people disliking rap or R&B but to say they aren't music or don't qualify as music is simply offensive and honestly shouldn't be tolerated on a music forum in my opinion.

Unfortunately cratz2, none of us have a right to not be offended. Personally, I'm offended by the color yellow; I'm gonna have to get over it.:confused:

I'm a huge fan of dream poppers Seapony. Does that make people think I'm wimpy? Girly? I don't care. And I wouldn't care if people thought I was stupid if I liked rap. I think it's a great thread. It may not be for you.

Never feel bad about liking dream pop, shoegaze's younger, happier cousin.

I guess my main dislike is rap or hip hop, but I don't hate all of it....In fact my son got me into listening to Eminem and I honestly think he is a riot. His lyrics crack me up...he's quite the funny guy. Also like stuff by some stuff by Ice Cube

Let me edit this by saying....I hate that screaming death metal or whatever they call it more....I can't listen to that for more than a few seconds before thinking I am going to have a seizure

Last edited:
What is that music (I use the term very loosely here) that kids listen to in their cars that rattles their fenders loose and pisses off everyone else inside their homes in a 10 block radius? I call it head banger music for lack of a better term. I hate it! I f'n hate it! :rant: Makes me want to bash a lot more than their idiotic genre, and with an 8 pound sledge hammer... Nobody in my town seems to listen to this music but when I go elsewhere I run into it a lot.
Just to be clear, in my post I wasn't in any way referring to Rap at least as I know it to be but simply the deep low pitch sound that seems to be designed to be some sort of a harmonic to the hood of a car or door panels etc. No Mudda Fucca lyrics, no lyrics at all really. I heard this up close in a Fred Meyer parking lot in Fairbanks last summer. The sound was so deep, loud that it sounded like the car was alive, rattling every piece of sheet metal in it. As it drove by it almost seemed to take my breath away, but not in a pleasant way, but more unhealthy than anything. I could see it giving someone really elderly a stroke!

I don't like music that seems to have no purpose or is super-repetitive (like most radio pop). I was at a thrift store the other day, and Taylor Swift "Trouble" was playing. It was like a cheese-grater on my brain, how repetitive it was...

Oh, and I don't like bagpipes or didgeridoos.

Back
Top Bottom