What is your occupation?

Science writer in the communications office of a large public research university. Basically, a "press and public relations guy."

So I have always wondered, do you have to have very good ears etc for that? And is that something you had to apprentice in for years?
Sorry for long delay, I just saw your post. Yes, I apprenticed in a piano rebuilding shop to start my career. Yes you need an ear and yes it takes years of practice. My strength is really my rebuilding background. It’s become more rare due to the fact that most pianos no longer justify the investment of rebuilding work so there are very few rebuilders left. Tough to learn the craft without that experience. It’s the deepest technical experience you can get in this biz.

Sorry for long delay, I just saw your post. Yes, I apprenticed in a piano rebuilding shop to start my career. Yes you need an ear and yes it takes years of practice. My strength is really my rebuilding background. It’s become more rare due to the fact that most pianos no longer justify the investment of rebuilding work so there are very few rebuilders left. Tough to learn the craft without that experience. It’s the deepest technical experience you can get in this biz.
cool. My natural question for you would then be speaker selection and do you favor speakers that reproduce piano realistically?

Journeyman Carpenter, Journeyman Scaffolder, and now the Hall wants me to finish my Journeyman Millwright. I've been putting off the Millwright ticket for a while but I think it's time.

Nuclear engineer with an MBA. Mostly the day-to-day job involves haggling/educating with our regulator. Also mentoring our young nationals who are eager and committed to their country's nuclear power program. One of the best gigs of my 46 year career.

Living in an apartment in a big high rise with a great view of Abu Dhabi - a huge change from my California ranch house with back yard and two car garage in Silicon Valley. Moved here with two suitcases. I had to start from scratch since the ex-wife got everything in the divorce.

Last edited:
Artist ( my background is in Graphic Design and Illustration usually with an emphasis on screen printing. Im currently shifting into more of the Fine Arts)

Current situation is permenantly disabled. Prior to that I dabbled in inventory, transportation and operations management for a few retail chains.

I worked in service design and management for various government departments, Spent most of my working life on process design and improvements and/or management information tools and systems. Sounds boring but it was both rewarding and frustrating in equal measure. I retired far too early and may have another go at some point. Or I might just do something entirely different.

I am a molecular biologist who now runs operations for biotech start-ups. Basically, I am a soup-to-nuts operations guy. I get in at the beginning, when companies are either virtual or in incubator space. I assist with lab design, manage build-outs, outfit labs, move them in, etc... I am then responsible for all of the day-to-day ops stuff you need to run a small biotech. Lab management, EHS, purchasing, shipping, receiving, IT, office management... you get the picture. Basically I am a one-man operations group.

I've worked in Telecom/Tech my whole life, currently Technical Manager for cloud communication technologies.

Back
Top Bottom