What is your occupation?

Communications manager at Dept. of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. In school, my worst subjects were math and science. Now I spend all my working time with applied mathematicians, scientists and engineers. I'm retiring in January and almost 21 years here.

10 years managing golf course construction/renovations down here in south Florida. Many projects with Nicklaus, Joe Lee, Fazio, etc.
Last 16 years in sales management with Chevrolet.

You got out and avoided the great golf depression we are only now coming out of. Sucked.
We probably have mutual acquaintances.

You got out and avoided the great golf depression we are only now coming out of. Sucked.
We probably have mutual acquaintances.
Yes, spot on. Due to divorce, liquidated in 2000, in hindsight, just the right time to exit. In the 90's, they could not build courses fast enough. I turned down more work than I took on.

Now they are selling courses down here, gutting them, and building homes where fairways used to be.

I hope that things are looking better in your region.

I've been in warehousing for 18+ years now. Currently Warehouse Supervisor for an Emergency 911 provider. Been here 12 years so far.

Yes, spot on. Due to divorce, liquidated in 2000, in hindsight, just the right time to exit. In the 90's, they could not build courses fast enough. I turned down more work than I took on.

Now they are selling courses down here, gutting them, and building homes where fairways used to be.

I hope that things are looking better in your region.

I feel your pain. 25 year PGA professional here mostly in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I was VP of a golf management company that didn't survive the excesses of the 90's as was the fate of many others. Things have only just begun to level out. Rough couple of decades. I've mostly been teaching at the Golf Academy of America as well as golf operations consulting for the past several years.

I was a automotive machinist/engine builder for 30 years. I loved it but the trade has dwindled down to next-to-nothing. Still possible to make a living doing it but the pie is now a slice. So now I do it on the side but am a machinist for a subway system now.

Come to NJ, I'll keep you busy... but yeah, old money is getting old and new money not as impressed with old school muscle :) Here is our Instagram page for some random shots of the place... https://www.instagram.com/billybobscars/

Here is our show room / semi clean room last month. We are 6 workers, 2 owners, and me... everything from show restorations, to tube frame restromods... body and mechanical.
20170905_shop.jpg

I'm an emulsifier man.

I convert liquefied vegetable fats into emulsifiers; a prime ingredient in all processed foods. We have a 35% market share in the continental USA, and we ship world-wide.

If you consume breakfast cereal, commercial bread, etc, you're probably digesting something I made right now. 72 tons a night, I pack out.

If you're feeling ill, somebody else did it.

:biggrin:

I feel your pain. 25 year PGA professional here mostly in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. I was VP of a golf management company that didn't survive the excesses of the 90's as was the fate of many others. Things have only just begun to level out. Rough couple of decades. I've mostly been teaching at the Golf Academy of America as well as golf operations consulting for the past several years.

I grew up in Pawleys Is from 81 to the early 90's, my father did a tremendous amount of work on Waccamaw Necks many golf courses and related communities at that time. His office was in Murrels Inlet, small world. He went on to design/redesign and build 5 or 6 (Blue collar) courses, challenging enough to be fun but not so challenging you have to play at a pro level. These have been extremely successful in the long term compared to the exclusive 5 digit a year fees of some private courses. I remember picking up Indian pottery on the banks of Wachasaw plantation before they tore Mr Kimbells house down. All the old plantations from Brookgreen down to Azalea hadn't been transformed into courses and 100k lots, river road was still dirt from Waverly down to Hagley.

Back
Top Bottom