What is your passion?

cubdog

banging through drywall
We all have areas of interest that get us a little more excited than others. What are yours? Speakers, receivers, turntables, home theater, 2 channel setups, seperates or whatever. Personally, speakers and H.T are mine. What areas of interest drive you the most?

cubdog

As many AK members undoubtably know, if it is pre 80s Harman/Kardon, regardless of type, I am seriously interested in. :thmbsp:

Cheers,
Joe

I'm all about the music. The gear is just a means to reproduce the music. Sure, better gear is more fun than crap gear, but there comes a point where I'd rather spend my money collecting music than collecting gear. I know this is heresy around here, but that's the way I am.

I got into vintage audio a few months ago when I was looking to put together a new stereo after having sold my Adcom/Martin Logan system a few years ago. (Business reasons.) Almost pulled the trigger on a 150 wpc NAD integrated when I started researching what I could buy used for the $900. That's when I found this board. With the direct help of a few members and the guidance of many I've put together two killer systems for less than the price of the NAD integrated.

Now it's time to concentrate on adding music. I only have a bit more than 17,300 tunes in my iTunes collection (recorded from the associated CDs/LPs/tapes). That leaves me about a kazillion to go.

Last edited:
Well my passion firstly is hockey. I play/coach 4 nights a week. After that its music but its playing music first, then listening. Lastly I am in prusuit of the perfect pour :) Ahhh beer.

Music and Vintage Audio

Lots and lots of great music! Classical,rock,jazz, and much much more! Old audio rules! Loads of fun fixing it up and listening to the music. :D

Eric

I like the music as well, but what REALLY gets me off are well-designed, technically superior machines. Must be the Kraut coming out in me. I blather on WAY too much about R-390As, & the like, but they're my muse, like big-arse Sansuis or MacIntoshes are to others. But as EVERYBODY should have a decent audio system at least once in their life, so should EVERYBODY have a world-class shortwave radio at least once. It's as simple as that.-Sandy G.

Sandy G said:
But as EVERYBODY should have a decent audio system at least once in their life, so should EVERYBODY have a world-class shortwave radio at least once. It's as simple as that.-Sandy G.
RatShack DX-440, Sandy. Before that, Panasonic RF-2200. Both packed away due to horrendous powerline noise here. :thumbsdn:

Other than that, I would have to say what drove me in the past was the hoping and wishing and dreaming and working towards getting the stereo system that to me would be uncompromising. Since I've reached that :D now what drives me is finally getting to listen to music the way I always dreamed it could sound!

Tom

Last edited:
I have a DX-440 as well. It's really a Sangean, sort of a knock off of Sony's fabled ICF-2010. But they are decent little sets-even if you have to overlook the processor running amuck every once in awhile. (usually, its way of telling you it wants new batteries.-Sandy G.

I'm with TA on this!! After that I would have to say speakers since they are what I have the most of.

john

It's all about music...specifically, the experience of hearing music.

And speakers, IME, make the BIGGEST difference in the perception and emotional response to recorded music... so therefore, speakers are where my interests run strongest...

Regards,
Gordon.

Lots of good responses here.

I love good music and good equipment to enable me to maximise my listening pleasure.
And beautiful women. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom