What kind of interconnects were being used for early sixties Mac gear?

Paul K

Title says it all. What cords were they using?
I have never found a proper answer. Anybody know?

I am really only speculating, but I would guess something like the early gray Switchcraft type rca interconnects or similar with molded on plugs?
upload_2017-6-19_23-15-12.png
upload_2017-6-19_23-10-28.png

Guessing Switchcraft shielded leads with molded plug ends, as illustrated in prior posting.

There is nothing comparable to a good set of "vintage" cables lol

But a set of BJC Belkin cables would probably be similar.

What is comparable currently?
Nothing that I can think of that aren't basic cabling. These were ok but nothing great when new and current, probably the "gimme" audio cables that came with CD and DVD players would be as good. Any current or older aftermarket upgrade cables would be an improvement, I look for good simple secure connectors and low capacitance as preferable.

Nothing that I can think of that aren't basic cabling. These were ok but nothing great when new and current, probably the "gimme" audio cables that came with CD and DVD players would be as good. Any current or older aftermarket upgrade cables would be an improvement, I look for good simple secure connectors and low capacitance as preferable.

True - I am wanting to hear what they were voiced with. Cables do alter the sound for better or for worse and although I know there are things that don't change about inductance, resistance and capacitance because they are all law, I would like to hear what they heard.

FWIW, my 1961 Empire turntable's stock cables look similar to 2nd picture in the first post. They sound great! Perhaps Switchcraft.

Barker was the name of the manufacturer. They had the lowest return rate, the lowest capacitance, and the best fit at the time in the industry. But they never got with the Monster cable program, so they faded away or got out. The connectors weren't gold plated so after a few years annual cleaning regimen had to be employed. It kept me busy while working part time. I drilled out a piece of fiber glass to reshape the the RCA connector flanges. A little steel wool, and deox of one kind or another, and wire labels and I was ready to strip down a home owners system and make it like new.

I carried a locked fishing tackle box with all sorts of cables, and connectors. Oh how I hated BNC connectors and Amphenol mic connectors. The one with 4 pins that Shure Bros used for their microphones. I'll take the old XLR's with the rubber boot strain relief any day. Cannon was the name! You can keep the Switch craft models where you need a special machine to reinsert the boot with the two metal curved plates. Personally I still use the Monster RCA connectors with the split center pin and the grips that really grab onto the ground barrel. I also use their gold banana pin connectors with the pin the splits the banana plug for a tight grip. I also use their gold spade lugs. I still use their hook up cables. They are much harder to find now days. So when I need new cables I desolder the RCA connectors, order some new Canare wire and I'm back in business.

True - I am wanting to hear what they were voiced with. Cables do alter the sound for better or for worse and although I know there are things that don't change about inductance, resistance and capacitance because they are all law, I would like to hear what they heard.
Capacitance varies with construction, length, and mfgr. Capacitance will affect HF to a greater or lesser degree and affect relative detailing. Other factors can affect SQ in other ways related to distortion by creating a nonlinear interface between conductors. Tarnishing, corrosion, or certain metal to metal combos with connectors can cause a diode effect at various signal levels.

What is comparable currently?
I use the Mogami 'WR' series in my system, probably one of the few quality cables you can get today that is similar to the older style we have been discussing. Low capacitance, molded on plug ends and gold plated connectors. They're nice and flexible and easy to get on and off and the price won't break the bank. They come with colored rings that you can put over the plug ends to keep your cabling straight between components and channels.

upload_2017-6-20_13-51-40.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 1.47.13 PM.png

Capacitance varies with construction, length, and mfgr. Capacitance will affect HF to a greater or lesser degree and affect relative detailing. Other factors can affect SQ in other ways related to distortion by creating a nonlinear interface between conductors. Tarnishing, corrosion, or certain metal to metal combos with connectors can cause a diode effect at various signal levels.

It's amazing to me (not really) that capacitance is almost never cited by cable manufacturers.

Can't comment on what people were using and/or experiencing in the 60s-70s. :) Wish I could.

If you're interested in trying a variety of older stock, might look into the earlier, molded version of Tributaries 'Alpha Audio' cables. Sturdy, lightweight, nothing fancy. Just bought a 2m pair on ebay for $10. That's late 90s / early 00s though.

DBX sold some cables that were 1, 2 and more meters long with gold RCA plugs. But the Barkers had lower capacitance. This was very important with tube units with high source impedance. I was using SS by then so a fraction higher capacitance was of no concern.

But the ground work was being laid for all the exotic cables, that really weren't worth the cost with SS stuff but had some significance with tube stuff. As long as the cables were kept short, 1 meter, you were fine.

DBX sold some cables that were 1, 2 and more meters long with gold RCA plugs. But the Barkers had lower capacitance. This was very important with tube units with high source impedance. I was using SS by then so a fraction higher capacitance was of no concern.

But the ground work was being laid for all the exotic cables, that really weren't worth the cost with SS stuff but had some significance with tube stuff. As long as the cables were kept short, 1 meter, you were fine.

I need 10 feet. I measured 250pf across each wire and it's old tinned copper. Is this too much capacitance for the MX110 to the 240?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom