What kind of system(s) would James Bond have today?

arbalest

Somewhat serious question - say money really isn't an issue but you don't want something over the top in terms of size and/or number of components. After all, as James Bond you're not home all that much. And when you are home you might be using it for entertainment or background music rather than "critical listening".

Do you get something discrete, say Klipsch - The Three or Sonos and just stream your music without owning any media or even digital files? Maybe you have some of these in each room. Or do you go with something "lifestyle-ish" like whatever B&O is selling these days?

If you have a lab, or gym or Bat-Cave, maybe a more serious system but classy like McIntosh? I'm guessing in the bedroom or bathroom there is a stray Bose Wave Radio (in black). Okay, and some earbuds for listening to a background briefing, or something on a long flight.

I searched the net on this and found someone's opinion (which I don't agree with) that everything would look futuristic. I think, rather, that the system would be discrete or invisible.

This is not for me, per se. Personally, I have enough speakers and amps, switch boxes etc for a few houses and it is mostly in a big pile or two. But moving these piles around today is what got me thinking about this. Some days I sort of wish the music was just there somehow and I didn't have this inventory.

I welcome all well-considered opinions.

edit: typos

Last edited:
Somewhat serious question - say money really isn't an issue but you don't want something over the top in terms of size and/or number of components. After all, as James Bond your not home all that much. And when you are home you might be using it for entertainment or background music rather than "critical listening".

Do you get something discrete, say Klipsch - The Three or Sonos and just stream your music without owning any media or even digital files? Maybe you have some of these in each room. Or do you go with something "lifestyle-ish" like whatever B&O is selling these days?

If you have a lab, or gym or Bat-Cave, maybe a more serious system but classy like McIntosh? I'm guessing in the bedroom or bathroom there is a stray Bose Wave Radio (in black). Okay, and some earbuds for listening to a background briefing, or something on a long flight.

I searched the net on this and found someone's opinion (which I don't agree with) that everything would look futuristic. I think, rather, that the system would be discrete or invisible.

This is not for me, per se. Personally, I have enough speakers and amps, switch boxes etc for a few houses and it is mostly in a big pile or two. But moving these piles today around is what got me thinking about this. Some days I sort of wish the music was just there somehow and I didn't have this inventory.

I welcome all well-considered opinions.
I'm seeing something serious like McIntosh, but most likely British. Probably vinyl as a source because James Bond tends to be old school. Really the systems from The Mechanic or Bosch come to mind (particularly The Mechanic because if you play his favorite record, the secret work room opens but if you play it too long the house explodes).

I don't know if it would be futuristic (because he's kinda old school) or discrete/invisible (because all of Q's stuff is like that and he works with that day in, day out).

I feel like the chair of choice would be an Eames. There would probably be two, and as Dave points out, expect the second one to be an ejector seat.

Sorry but I just can't see 007 making any compromises like that. I would think that he would have some nice, big floor standing speakers and maybe some British electronics as well. When he's home he'd want to shut out the outside world and relax and enjoy the full experience. No distractions other than the martini and the woman. :smoke:

Funny Thread

I say Q would make a custom tube and vinyl set set up the likes of which have never been seen. Or off the shelf would be British. Quads and Linn. We all know what the "room treatments" would be.

I feel like the movie Bond would have the latest in understated elegance and high performance, something interesting but not visually attention-grabbing. It would likely be an integrated amp driven affair with streaming and vinyl components. It would all be British.

I think the pragmatic, real-world Bond-type would just listen to whatever on his phone because he's never home anyway. His apartment probably only has five things in it at all. He would appreciate live music of any kind wherever he found it, and wouldn't keep many music files because even his phone gets replaced frequently.

Any of the movies actually show any audio gear?

Neither the old movies (or the first six books in the series which I read) ever have him at home. Spectre had him at home for a quick scene but very limited and no electronics.

Update: I do now recall one of the books starting out with him having breakfast at home but, as far as I recall, that was a limited scene.

Last edited:
This isn't a real world exercise, it's a speculative fantasy of a fictional character in literature and film. It's completely fair to assume that the guy would favor some downtime on occasion and I like to imagine he'd be into spinning some quality original issue vinyl to pass his time. :)

Audio Note Level 7 of course (it's coming). British, old school, great sound, understated looks and well over a million quid.

_w0c39663.jpg

A silver cigarette case with flash-drive storage transmitting to wireless earbuds. The case would hold cigarettes, and, with a squeeze in the right spot activate a razor-sharp blade used to slice through binding ropes, or to slash offending throats. The device would also be his comm. It's primary function for James would be to open wine for the beautiful women he discovers in his bed, with a corkscrew disguised as one of the cigarettes, because that is how he rolls.

Last edited:
The system will definitely be British....nothing visually detracting....understated for sure....Quad? Tannoy? Naim? Rega?

Bond's prefer sources would be vinyl records and CD. He would never invite the possibility of external hacking by using some kind of streaming music service.

I don't imagine Bond entertain much at his home; I think he's a loner. His home is probably empty other than a small sofa and a dinning table (with a loaded Walther PPK magnetically held underneath the bullet-proof surface). The walls are bare and dark in color. He's probably still blaming himself for his wife's death.

On the other hand, he might have a photo of the actress Rachel Weisz* sitting on his dinning table. Perhaps even one with Ms. Weisz and Bond together.

*Rachel Weisz is the real-life wife of Daniel Craig, aka James Bond.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the electronics but 007's speakers would almost certainly be big Tannoy's. For a TT it would probably be a Michell.

Something like these.

Prestige-GR-Westminster-GR-018ec23e-Grille-Off-Walnut-Right.png
Orbe-Image.png

In some parts of the world Tannoy means loudspeaker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom