What kind of use is this Dayton Audio subwoofer for?

Cody AOC

So i have been really interested in getting this subwoofer, Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil, and i wanted to use it in my home with my audio system i'm a bass lover but is it made for home use or car use? I see some peple using them as home subwoofers and some using them as car subwoofers well theres a box that it is meant for and theres a bundle http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7097

And here's the subwoofer itself http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um15-22-15-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-514

Let's start with the speakers, and room size and layout. A GOOD QUALITY SUB, configured properly can greatly improve what you are trying to accomplish. The trouble is there are many poorly made subs on the market. .

The dual voice coil allows a variety of hookup options. You could wire it to drag an incredible amount of power from a stout car or pro amp. Wired another way, it would be just right for a subwoofer plate amp.

It is also rated to play at least half an octave lower than similarly priced car subwoofers available to me locally.

Box size and tuning will cause variations in different performance parameters. In the past I've noticed PE selling box kits paired with woofers, that appeared to just be their off the shelf box kit rather than something designed for that particular woofer model.

I notice that they are selling a box labelled as being for the Ultimax and also one with the same airspace labelled as being for another of the woofers they offer. Since the two woofers have different parameters, I don't see how the identically sized boxes could optimal for both.

In other words, buy the woofer. Build your own box.

Should make your living room shake just like a REAL T-REX! ;) The kit box may not be optimized, but I put together one of PE's 18" Ultimax kits with the 4^3 enclosures-- it is pretty incredible simulating EQs. It impressed me enough to buy the 15" woofer and enclosure for my home theatre. I haven't taken the time to assemble the 15" kit yet, so I can't comment specifically on it's overall sound. I don't think you will have a problem with it going deep enough for bass notes and kick drums. If you're handy and don't mind the extra work, building your own optimized enclosure would be a fun project. Myself- I don't have the time or the tooling to do that. One other thing-- I can vouch for how well the PE 18" kit went together. The CNC cut MDF boards fit-up nicely and the resulting enclosure is very solid and sturdy.

So how would this work on making it a vented box from the front under the subwoofer in the front of it I thought if i cut out 2 of the biggest hole i can 1 in the bottom right and one in the bottom left sides from the face of it how would that work on sound? since it could be vented or sealed according to the website.

Cody- you may get an answer from others here on AK about venting that system, but if not, the PE tech staff are pretty knowledgeable about their products. I've seen some pretty good discussions in the Q&A on PE's website with similar questions on different variations or implementations of a particular subwoofer sealed vs. vented. You may want to give their tech support a shot at your question about venting.

^^^Yes, the PE Technical Support staff can likely give you all the info you need. Ditto.

Back
Top Bottom