What makes Audiophile?

JustinICT

Im curious, what makes a piece of equipment Audiophile level or standards? Like is a Marantz 22XX audiophile level equipment? An vintage Pioneer or Yamaha? Is the word purely a description of said person enjoys expensive electronics? The term get tossed around all the time, but where does it really fit?

Look up the definition
noun
a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.

Audiophile gear therefore is gear that an audiophile is interested in. Could be a 3 watt amp out of a 60 year old console, a vintage receiver, a new hybrid $100 tube amp, just about anything that performs well in its class.

None of the above....

An audiophile is a person with a distinct pleasure to sound. A stimulation of the auditory center of the ear to the brain and it’s been proved that the more fibrous the fibers leaving the auditory center to the brain, the more pleasure enjoyed. All of this has been proven by doctors for years. But there are those that collect gear that think it has to do with the quality of the equipment and therefore the price....

None of the above....

An audiophile is a person with a distinct pleasure to sound. A stimulation of the auditory center of the ear to the brain and it’s been proved that the more fibrous the fibers leaving the auditory center to the brain, the more pleasure enjoyed. All of this has been proven by doctors for years. But there are those that collect gear that think it has to do with the quality of the equipment and therefore the price....

...on the other hand, I've never heard anyone claim an inverse relationship between quality and price, either. People say you get what you pay for, and as with many sayings I think a core of some truth is to be found, though I would add a qualifier, you get what you pay for, sometimes.

That said, you are correct that audiophiles love sound, usually music.

...on the other hand, I've never heard anyone claim an inverse relationship between quality and price, either. People say you get what you pay for, and as with many sayings I think a core of some truth is to be found, though I would add a qualifier, you get what you pay for, sometimes.

That said, you are correct that audiophiles love sound, usually music.

Really...

I’ve heard allot from the McIntosh crowd that quality costs allot more money to attain a higher level of enjoyment, where others believe in certain models (TOTL) of better equipment. But, I do agree that you get what you paid for philosophically...

I don't think Hi-Fi means too much. I had little pocket transister radios when I was a kid and they all said Hi-Fi on them. Seems like they were all 6 transister AM radios

I asked this because I always wonder what I could be missing, Is my stuff HiFi or audiophile standard? Then I hear someone say its just taste. Im always curious about it. Just like this warm tone everyone talks about. I wonder if I have heard it yet. And I have been sipping bourbon for awhile now. Just in case this sounds like nonsense.

rationalize - attempt to explain or justify (one's own or anothers behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

lol

Back
Top Bottom