What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

Been rotating the V1 spot in my Mc240s. Between Tele’s, Bugle Boy’s and Mullards. Of the 3 I’m still with the Tele’s as my go to.
The Mullards are amazing, but it’s almost a Gravy on Butter type deal. Too much yummieness with my System. Though my SS DAC sounded better than ever with those.

My reason for posting is this....I decided wtf, and tossed a pair of RCA Cleartop AX7’s in the V1, because I had em...and well, why not??!

Thing is, they’re PERFECT! I really can’t believe it. I’m listening right now. ALL my tubes are tested and measure over NOS, so it’s not a bad tube thing, I tried multiple sets, even cracked a sealed set of Tele’s to make sure.

Wow, I’m leaving the RCA’s for awhile. Only in the V1 spot. Maybe it’s just the change, but the music seems “tighter”. Idk, I really am surprised and almost don’t wanna believe it. Due to the “lowly” price of the RCA comparatively.

Also, just rolled a set of sealed Tele 6U8A’s into the MX-110z, wow....sounds killer. The depth is much more apparent now. So I’ll have to disagree with Steve. Was gonna tag him, but forgot his username, and I’m not sure you can even tag him. Or every Yahoo, like myself, would bug him. Only because I’m not trying to argue, but I remember reading he didn’t like the 6U8 Tele’s in his MX-110z, but then realized they were bad Tubes, and I wondered what he thought of good ones in that spot? If he sees this, and still even listens to his 110. His opinions have really helped me get the sound I look for. The “Magic”, and the guy has heard some pretty good equiptment.

Tele’s are indispensable to me in that spot. I’ve tried 7 other brands 6U8’s, and none beat em. Was wondering what he is using at this time?

Anyway, also came across a set of Vintage JBL’s with 075 bullets, LE375’s, LE15a woofers in about a 6 cubic ft French provincial cab. With LX-5 x-overs. Wow. Just wow! Now I get the Vintage JBL love. The 50-60s stuff is where it’s at.
These blow the L100’s I had away. I’ll post a Pic in a min. Not sure of the Cab, they have what looks like a “door” on the front and a cream colored corrugated “drape” covering the front that does not come off. I had to Pop the backs off.

They sure enjoy vintage Mc tubes though. That’s for sure. Well sorry for derailing the thread. Just had some changes to my Mc system and though I’d update.

Last edited:
Hello Dear damacman, Many thanks for your remembering me and great message about my room. Yes, I was so quiet during a couple of years.
I was just doing to upadate of my system a little by little. MC2600 is really my basic and still running quite well now.I love it so much:thumbsup:
Cheers! for our lovely MC2600's:beerchug::music:

New acquired restored C24. Sounding very nice paired with a Harman Kardon Citation 22 amp. My one and only Mac these days.

macc24.jpg

I started the McIntosh collection in the 70's when I bought 5 pieces with salesmans discount from the small audio store I worked at in Allentown Pa. Added to the collection over the decades. I do have some cooling fans on all this, so I raise the noise threshold a bit in the room. The 3 C28's each have an SCR2 to turn on the power amps. The latest addition is a 7100 amp which will run a pair of ESS AMT-3s coming from a west coast seller in a few weeks. Those will add to the rest of the ESS collection. The whole rig gives me alot of enjoyment. I play vinyl almost exclusively and only use CDs when I'm tinkering with something else in the system. Mcintosh collection 92018.JPG Mcintosh collection 92018.JPG

Attachments

• Mcintosh collection 2 92018.JPG
    Mcintosh collection 2 92018.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 69
That's quite a collection. Don't see many MC2002 power amps ... I've had a few over the years, but never for very long.

Andre: thanks for fixing the link. Can't quite read the speaker logo. How does your 7100 work with them? Do your limit lights come on?

Andre: thanks for fixing the link. Can't quite read the speaker logo. How does your 7100 work with them? Do your limit lights come on?
Hi!
The speakers are custom. Originally were Technics. But I modified them upgrading with morel tweeter, jbl midrange and with the double woofer, I left the 12” operational and the 10” as radiator. All ports were closed. Regarding the limits light doesnt turn on, i guess my ear will get hurts before a limit light turn on. Btw i am using the avergage voltage (2.5) set up by McIntosh.

Last edited:
The speakers sound interesting, Andre. By using the average voltage set by McIntosh, I assume you mean you have the input level controls set to the middle of the adjustment range.

The speakers sound interesting, Andre. By using the average voltage set by McIntosh, I assume you mean you have the input level controls set to the middle of the adjustment range.
Correct!
About the speaker i made an isolated internal box for the midrange. My turntable is custom too. The one in the picture is my old uturnaudio that is not longer exist.

Hugo454: Like your Technics SL 110 with SME arm. Looks like you changed the feet. What cartridge are you using? I have a SL 1100a with stock arm and feet. Using a Shure M97xe with an SAS stylus on order from LP Gear.

Back
Top Bottom