What Phono PreAmp Do You Have?

As usual you can take a recommendation or leave it.
I have had many Phono Pre's here, 10 at least. Just sold my iFI Phono "2" with a S Booster PS no less for a Vista Audio 2 ($400) it beat the IFi in my system.I liked the iFi too. Sorry..........
Very adjustable and to 70db gain, 2 filters one rumble and internally custom adjustable pf etc.gain can go higher.
No step up needed. Believe me, it is extremely good and for the price compares to much more offerings way beyond it's price.
It's returnable.

I had a JD9 and did all the mods too, and then some. Still, it left me dissatisfied.
So picked up a Simaudio Moon 110LP half price from Music Direct (with 60 day return) and was much happier.
Then...one of my dream phono stages (Audio Research PH3) became available for $700 and I haven't been happier or want anything more.

Considering how much time and money I dumped into the JD9 over a 2 year period...I should have ponied up and bought something good in the first place. I'm not unhappy that I went through the JD9 experience because I learned so much, but when it became obvious that I was spending more time playing with my JD9 than playing records...well it was time to move on.

For my cartridge, my linestage and power amp...I would recommend something by Audio Research. When you pop the hood, the high quality of the build stands out.

Micromega MyGroov. Reasonable price and excellent sound with my Rega RP6.
It covers MM/MC, detects the cartridge load and adjusts automatically. I cannot tell you any technical details, not good at that but it really works fine and you can check the specs on the web.
Not sure if available, you should give it a try.

I'm big on Musical Surroundings preamps......I just recently bought the Nova II which is battery powered. Very good chance I will not need anything for a very long time.
If you shop hard and call dealers with CC in hand, you can get it for a tad over a grand.....Pretty much any loading option you can imagine for the Nova II. The Phonomena II+ is also really nice for about 7 bills.

I went big game hunting a few years ago after moving through the ProJect TubeBox line. It is totally possible to pick up some really great phono preamps out there in the $1k range. In my case that would be a Pass Labs Xono and a E.A.R 834p Deluxe. They are both very good in their own right and each brings its own special (and very subtle - these are transparent) flavor to the party. With the Pass, it's the amazing degree of loading options and the totally silent noise floor. With the 834p it's the silky smooth sound quality the NOS vintage tubes add which make me want to just keep listening. I *could* live with either...but I don't want to :).

Good luck in your search - there are a lot of really good choices out there. I will add one last bit of advice here: the cartridge makes a much larger difference in the quality and presentation of the sound, and you should pick a preamp based on the needs of the cart - not the other way around.

jblnut

Last edited:
I have the ProJect TubeBox DS2, which I rather like. Presently I have no need for the two inputs, but that may change. I also appreciate the versatility of it and the fact that I can upgrade my table and cartridge for awhile with it (it currently is top piece of equipment I have). I have used it both with my lowly ProJect Debut Carbon with an Ortofon 2M Red and with my dad's ClearAudio Concept with the Concept MC cartridge. It performed well with both.

Do you have to have one that you can change the settling or do some of the set them self?
does the graham slee set it self?

On a budget the Yaqin ms12-b is really good. Tube rolling really makes a nice impact. I did finally upgrade but it took a lot of comparing to finally settle on my rogue Perseus Atlas phonostage premp. The Yaqin is no slouch at 1/4 the price.

Parasound Zphono-USB. I didn't get it for the USB, but for the rumble filter and mono-switch. Not really the quietest in MM, but not bad with a 2M Blue. Haven't felt he need(or have the cartridge) to try MC. Yet.

I have the parasound zphono as well and agree it's not the quietest but not bad also. I think the pre amp in parasound P5 is a lot better. My next one is going to be the Vincent PHO 701 tube pre retails 499.

Do you have to have one that you can change the settling or do some of the set them self?

I am not sure if this was directed at me or not, so I will answer anyways. Ignore if it was not directed towards me.

The Tube Box DS2 it quite easy to set and adjust:

BD-TubeBox-DS2-highres-1.jpg

On top right of the front panel there is a button to switch between 47k ohm for MM or variable loading impedance for MC (and the knob in the middle allows for 10 to 1000 ohm resistance selection and it can be adjusted while music is playing to fine tune your setting for MC cartridges). Next button down is loading capacitance for MM cartridges. Last button cycles through 40, 45, 50, 60, and 65 dB gain (not sure why there is no 55 dB but I guess it is not needed as much).

It will remember different settings for inputs one and two, so you can easily set it up to handle a MM and a MC cartridge if you want. It is fairly simple to use.

While there are tubes in this, my understanding is that they are buffer tubes on the output. I have not tried rolling them since I only got mine in July.

Small edit to discuss cosmetics: it also comes in black. You can also spend an extra $100 to get wood panels on the sides. They look nice, but I was not wanting to spend an extra $100 on them.

Not exactly sure what you mean by setting itself? If your meaning Capacitive Loading, Gain etc as far as I know you have to manually set most if not all phono stages, Graham slee included.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
The Zphono isn't bad, but the rest of my gear is at just about the same performance level. Ve haff SYNERGY! And I like the big sound the Zphono puts up. I understand why some might not. But to get noticeably better would cost more than the rest of the system would justify, I think.

No built in phono stage. I maybe swapping it out for a Ampzilla pre-amp that has a preamp

Maybe it would make more sense if I would have asked what preamp and is it MM or MC. I'm open on buying both.
as of now I'm looking at a Linn Arkiv of Adikt

I'v been trying to help here instead of just blurting out products and components but you'v been vague and wishy washy as to what you have and plan on using as your front end.

There is many ways to set up a vinyl front end but we need to know the rest of the system, and the cartridge of choice and or if you need to be versatile. I asked if you had a preamp for a reason, if you have a MM built in phono stage you options change. But anyway there are variables and your not being to clear on what you have and what the end goal is.

I've been on AK and I've gone to believe there was only on preamp and that was a Jolida JD9.
I did all the mods I went thru the US vs China days. But I think its time to move on.
Any suggestions were to go?
I would suggest making arrangements with a local dealer for some in-store and/or in-home demonstrations using whatever associated gear you intend to use with it. It appears you are near Houston, and I've read some good things about shops in Austin (I know it's 135 miles from you, but I travel farther than that a few times a year just to get my favorite pizza!). It's been over a decade since I last seriously auditioned phono stages; but at the time, comparing the built-in stage of a Linn Wakonda vs. stand-alone units from Dynavector, Musical Surroundings, and Grado, my preference was for the Grado (and it proved very complementary with a Well Tempered 'table, Grado cartridge, and Vandersteen speakers). Later, after some component changes, I found I liked the built-in phono stage of an Audio by Van Alstine OmegaStar preamp better than the Grado. The Van Alstine unit continues to be what I use today. AVA also sells a stand-alone phono stage for $499 that might be worth a listen, though they are direct sales only (with 30-day satisfaction guarantee). Different products have different strengths, and different ears listen for different aspects of reproduction. HiFi components need to work together toward whatever ends you have in mind, so if at all possible, audition widely and let your ears decide what you like best.

I would suggest making arrangements with a local dealer for some in-store and/or in-home demonstrations using whatever associated gear you intend to use with it. It appears you are near Houston, and I've read some good things about shops in Austin (I know it's 135 miles from you, but I travel farther than that a few times a year just to get my favorite pizza!). It's been over a decade since I last seriously auditioned phono stages; but at the time, comparing the built-in stage of a Linn Wakonda vs. stand-alone units from Dynavector, Musical Surroundings, and Grado, my preference was for the Grado (and it proved very complementary with a Well Tempered 'table, Grado cartridge, and Vandersteen speakers). Later, after some component changes, I found I liked the built-in phono stage of an Audio by Van Alstine OmegaStar preamp better than the Grado. The Van Alstine unit continues to be what I use today. AVA also sells a stand-alone phono stage for $499 that might be worth a listen, though they are direct sales only (with 30-day satisfaction guarantee). Different products have different strengths, and different ears listen for different aspects of reproduction. HiFi components need to work together toward whatever ends you have in mind, so if at all possible, audition widely and let your ears decide what you like best.

I think I'm going to drive to Austin this weekend. I know the Chilli Peppers are playing. As for the preamp,I think I'm trying to turn a LO to a HO buy pushing the gain.
What makes a HO cartridge? .4 MV output is low? if so what is med and high?

The reason I bring this up is that maybe some of us are using a LO cartridge and HO settings or it might just be me.

What makes a HO cartridge? .4 MV output is low? if so what is med and high?
Typically HO is >1.6 mV give or take a bit (I think this is what the Denon DL-110 is and lots of folks talk about having to boost gain a bit), many HOMC's are at about 2.5 mV.

I use a Denon DL-103 (0.3 mV), with my preamp 60 dB of gain is perfect. Too much gain and you will introduce more noise potentially.

I've been on AK and I've gone to believe there was only on preamp and that was a Jolida JD9.
I did all the mods I went thru the US vs China days. But I think its time to move on.
Any suggestions were to go?

View attachment 1017408
Music Direct must have just received five new Fosgate Signature v2 phono preamps. They are selling them for $500 off the old list price.

No affiliation, but I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom