What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Tchaikovsky

Symphony no 6. "Pathetique". His very last ever conducted by Eugene Ormandy on Columbia Masterworks.

Last edited:
Symphony no 6. "Pathetique". His very last everconducted by Eugene Normandy on Columbia Masterworks.

Minor correction: It's Ormandy, not Normandy. A great conductor, under-rated by too many music lovers, who had a real affinity for Russian music. I love his recordings of the Tchaikovsky 5th and the Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition, and I'll bet that his Tchaikovsky 6th is outstanding.

I listened to an eclectic mix of music last night -- a 78 rpm recording of Gene Autry singing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," several movements of The Seasons by Tchaikovsky from a Melodiya/Columbia LP set, and Hayley Westenra's Celtic Treasure CD. (Yeah, I know, the last one wasn't a record, but I reconfigured my digital front end and needed to test it out.)

It is a stunning work and written during a difficult period in his life 1897. The name "Pathetic" was suggested by his brother as Tchaikovsky could not name the symphony in his struggle to finish the work.

Stronger than Pride - Sade
Regards,
Jim

Miles Davis "Round About Midnight" 180 gram Jazz Track Re-Issue. Next up...."Chet Baker Sings", also 180 gram Jazz Track pressing.

Back
Top Bottom