What should be the best piece in your system?

“What should be the best piece in your system?”

All are important, but you want one, so I say speakers, they make the biggest difference.

Conventional wisdom says speakers. However, whether buying used or new, there are many speaker choices out there to be had in the $1-2k range that are awfully good. Worthy electronics (amps, etc) cost more, whether new or vintage. I spent 3.33 times more for a used amp than I did for new speakers, including new dual subwoofers. It's a nice system, with the best SQ I've ever owned.

I have many times heard a pair of speakers sound much better after an amplification (pre, power, integrated, whatever) upgrade. Amps don't all sound alike to me.

Conventional wisdom says speakers. However, whether buying used or new, there are many speaker choices out there to be had in the $1-2k range that are awfully good. Worthy electronics (amps, etc) cost more, whether new or vintage. I spent 3.33 times more for a used amp than I did for new speakers, including new dual subwoofers. It's a nice system, with the best SQ I've ever owned.

I have many times heard a pair of speakers sound much better after an amplification (pre, power, integrated, whatever) upgrade. Amps don't all sound alike to me.

Aye, they don't sound alike at all. The differences are as great as between various speakers. Trying a Quad 405 copy tomorrow. Looking forward to it :)

The speakers and then the room not far behind for me. Personally, I do everything that I can to accommodate the speakers with the room and electronics.
akspeak.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom