What stage are you at with your system?

What stage are you at?

• I'm thinking about it

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • You got the flu and are dreaming

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • starting to build

Votes: 48 13.2%
  • still building-half done? three quarters?

Votes: 84 23.0%
  • a satisfying point- still some tweaking to do?

Votes: 155 42.5%
  • dream system achieved-but maybe....

Votes: 56 15.3%
  • holy grail of dream systems-pinnacle of hifi

Votes: 10 2.7%

• Total voters
Starting to build. Oy vey.

This is a tricky one. I used to have the fever, and over the years I have had too many kids and too little money to keep the flame. I have a thing for vintage stuff, 70's era, and there is a ton of it out there. I wanted a Holman pre, a Pioneer crossover, Mac MC70's, MC 40's, and MC 30's, Klipsch La Scalas (newer ones, biamped) with JBL supertweeters on top, a Micro Seiki DDX 1000 with a Rega or Linn arm and a decent cart, a Nakamichi Dragon, a Revox B77, a Sansui TU919, some manner of digital input for my rips, any old CD player, a big-ass wall of shelving and support, blah blah blah...

I won't get that. So I started with the Thorens TD160 my wife got me, which I fitted with an Ortofon X1-MC. I just acquired a Marantz 2252b, and refinement from here his likely to be related to speakers and that's about it. It is unnaturally pleasant and comforting to have these things from my youth here with me today, working well. They sound very lovely, they look remarkable, and I feel mostly content.

Buuut...

We're renting, so when we finally settle down somewhere I will make certain I have a "listening room" somewhere, and I already know what will happen...I set up a DDX-1000 years ago when I worked at an audio shop. I wonder if I can still do it?

There are great stories here, by the way, and a nice mix of old and new hardware to read about.

Mission Complete!

My audio system is pretty much finish and complete! :yes: I'm extremely satisfied with it (and that's all that matters reguardless of what anyone else thinks).:banana:
Not very important but maybe add some emphasis to support 'deeper bass', working on getting (3) three more pieces to support this. As mentioned before its not necessary but if I ever do get the opportunity to get the required equipment then I'll add it on.:D

Audio Dimentia

Four sets of speakers in main room. Four amplifiers. Tripping over patch cables. Considering a second mortgage.

Won't be happy till I have new amps. Am considering a NAD or Cambridge integrated to eventually drive monoblocks. Could also use a better subwoofer. Would love a Technics SL1200Mk2.

Back
Top Bottom