what to do?

2011etec

Bought a used ricoh kr-30sp 35mm film camera off the bay.Well it came in today and is d.o.a.! Press the shutter button and zero happens.The sellers ad states all working .Also says no returns.camera was cheap and came with 3 lenses and flash plus bag and tripod.Theres several filters also.Everything else is easily worth the selling price Sent the seller an email so where to or what to do about it?Im inclined to ask for a modest refund and to call it a lesson learned and use the camera as a learning tool to learn how to dissemble a camera.

Does that camera have an electric shutter? I think some of those Ricoh's do. This page says it has an "electronically-timed shutter," using a couple of 3v batteries. Could be dead batteries.
This site mentions something on the KR-10 needing reset if the shutter doesn't work. Not sure how similar the KR-30sp is.

Last edited:
Yes check for fresh batteries.

Now you could also have a sticky mirror from shipping. What happens is the boxes get tossed around like footballs. The jarring makes the mirror stick and jam to one side of the camera, when you try to trip the shutter nothing happens and some cameras like the EOS 1n will give an error code.

Now you may not want to do what I'm about to tell you but I'v fixed 3 EOS 1n this way, and a Pentax LX I sold to someone on eBay I instructed him to do the same and it fixed the camera.

Without a lens smack the camera with your palm hard at the side like the grip, give that baby a solid smack, test try the other side if need be. If you haven't guessed I found this trick out of pure frustration LOL but it works a lot of the time.

You can look online and people talk about the LX sticky mirror problem, they never ever had this problem prior to all the online sales and shipping one in a little box that gets tossed across the warehouse. When they where new the camera shops would get a pallet of gear and a fork lift was used, nobody jarred the camera trowing them back then and no sticky mirrors either.

Sorry i forgot to mention that i pressed the button and the curtion stuck on open so i gently moved it and it snapped back to normal but since then zero.Fresh batteries .Iwill give the smack a try.

Does that camera have an electric shutter? I think some of those Ricoh's do. This page says it has an "electronically-timed shutter," using a couple of 3v batteries. Could be dead batteries.
This site mentions something on the KR-10 needing reset if the shutter doesn't work. Not sure how similar the KR-30sp is.
My issue seems very similar to that described in the second site.I will dig up some micro screwdrivers and give it go seeing as how i got nothing to lose i will just have to be super careful .Seems like resetting the shutter wasnt that uncommon.

Back
Top Bottom