What TT's do you folks have

All I can say is that you must be a very patient person to have that much quality hardware sitting in the to do queue. At least you can get some joy just looking at them as they all look amazing pieces of engineering.

They take a long time to get right, especially the ones I can't find service manuals for. On the SP-10 MK3 I designed a module to replace an IC to get it to perform to new spec. These aren't 'tables you throw caps at and call them good.

Last edited:
@JP - Sorry to tell you this, but when I come to America I've decided I'm living in your house. Or your basement. Or wherever you keep all those. It doesn't matter, but I will be moving in :)

Well I finally got an arm rest and fashioned a replacement hold down out of leather, also got a round base for the tonearm. I just love the round base. Installed the Denon 160 and It sounds better on the 303 than the Rega 250 that it was on. This arm just sounds wonderful. Also, I have another headshell with a Grado G1+ with a 78 stylus. This table is definitely a keeper.

Attachments

• IMGP1635.JPG
    IMGP1635.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMGP1640.JPG
    IMGP1640.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMGP1641.JPG
    IMGP1641.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMGP1642.JPG
    IMGP1642.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMGP1643.JPG
    IMGP1643.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 149
  • IMGP1644.JPG
    IMGP1644.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMGP1645.JPG
    IMGP1645.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMGP1646.JPG
    IMGP1646.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 156
An Ion TTUSB (first turntable, not using it now, although it may come in handy for comparing cartridges since it allows for standard swappable headshells), an ELAC Miracord 660, and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit.

The Miracord probably needs a degrease and the tonearm is stiff and skips on anything but the most pristine records, so since I don't really fancy taking apart the mechanism I wanted to get myself a new main table, so I picked up the Debut Carbon for ~$200 second hand.

I've ordered myself some shelving to put my records on, so that my amplifier can go where my records currently fit - which'll give me room to have both the Miracord and the Debut Carbon sitting next to each other, so if I ever get the Miracord fixed it can be my auto table/78s table. :)

AKAI AP-206. Looking for a second one for another room in the house. Actually looking to hook it up to my Kenwood KR-6600. Works great but need a solid semi-affordable TT.

Orbit Pus with Ortofon OM5E -- I have this in my living room and play daily

Following in my office and get frequent play --
Dual 1218 with Shure M97xE and 78s stylus
Pioneer PL-S70 with ADC XLM MKIII
Grundig Majestic SP-170 console with a TW 501 (?)

And, latest adddition, which I think I'll set up in my garage to assist garage sales of old records --
Pioneer 12-D, but trying to decide on which cartridge to use -- looks like either a Shure M71 or ATC13Ea

Making a bold statement I see :p

Heres a short list of mine.

Thorens TD145MK
Thorens TD160
Garrard AT6
Marantz 6100
Marantz 6200
Marantz 6300
Technics SL-D2
Technics 1301

I have a few others but they are just sitting on shelves. My Favs are the Thorens Obviously followed very closely by the AT6. I have had my SL-D2 for more years than I care to admit and it has served me very well. I had to retire it to the shelf when one of the kids got to it with a marker. Lets just say I was not a happy camper at all !!!! some day I hope to have a Mitchel Gyro Deck. and maybe even an Oracle. For now I am very content with my small collection.

Dave
I just picked up a Marantz 6350 at a garage sale for $20. It's got me excited about putting together a small vintage system.

Heres a short list of mine.

Thorens TD145MK
Thorens TD160
Garrard AT6
Marantz 6100
Marantz 6200
Marantz 6300
Technics SL-D2
Technics 1301

I have a few others but they are just sitting on shelves. My Favs are the Thorens Obviously followed very closely by the AT6. I have had my SL-D2 for more years than I care to admit and it has served me very well. I had to retire it to the shelf when one of the kids got to it with a marker. Lets just say I was not a happy camper at all !!!! some day I hope to have a Mitchel Gyro Deck. and maybe even an Oracle. For now I am very content with my small collection.

Dave

My second post at AK and I want to thank you folks at AK and on the Turntable Forum. So I thought I'd begin by sharing my new to me toys here in this thread. I've been lurking for some time, but just joined the AK community recently.
I just acquired two turntables last week which replace a couple of starter TTs I've had for some time.
The first is Vintage and a rare version of the Elac mechanism. I was lucky to find a refurbished (cleaned and lubed) Braun PS600. I picked it up a week ago Thursday after listening to it, very excited. Then I won an eBay auction for an AR 'The Turntable' so two TTs in one week. The dividend? The V15 type V in the AR tone arm, it is still in very good shape and sings very well. So within a week, I've added a stacker running my Grado Black/8MZ cart. and added a new Shure to the shelf. I finally have a couple of TTs I can stick with.

Braun PS600 w/ Grado Black/8MX (thanks ddarch & marcmorin; 1.68gr/no anti-skate)
IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0004.JPG
AR The Turntable, Shure V15 type V
I added a George Merrill RRC mat, with vibrapods sitting on Merrill's 60 Durometer Decoupling Feet, new Vinyl Nirvana belt but nothing else done. The AR may get an arm or mod. down the road, but for now it's about washing and playing records.

You may forget that folks like me lurk, reading and learning from your great discussions, but it is wonderful to find such a group and much appreciated. Thanks again to all for your words, knowledge and advice.

Technics SL-Q3 with a Shure M97 X/N97xE stylus. Until today, when I finally got around to installing the Shure V15 Mk III I found at an antique mall here in Phx.

Picked up the turntable (Pioneer belt-drive somethingorother with no dustcover) that had a "broken needle" for $15. I couldn't believe it when I saw the cartridge. Ordered a Jico from Turntables & Needles and OH MY GAWD. Now I see why these bad boys sell for $150 on the bay. Makes Geddy Lee and the boys (Currently listening to 2112 on 180g vinyl) sound even more amazing. Oh, other than better carts never done a thing to this table. No maintenance, no adjustments other than tracking force and anti-skating. I do all the repairs and lubricating/adjusting on TTs I sell to others...

However, i still believe that good CD player & 21 CENTURY technology,like good DAC and,FILES (FLAC,MP3,ESC,) are much better sounding,
I spend so much money on vinyl last 40 years and Turntables,tonearms,carts(MM.MC),Phono preamps,i could build good 2 floors house if i can get that money back!!!!
And i still have 3 Turntables,i compared so many times my cd players,Mcintosh, Denon, Yamaha, with Vinyl and needle sound,every time blind test with 5 to 10 people,and every time they choose CD,DAC SOUND!!!WELL IT IS NOT JUST ME, RIGHT?Once i was VINYL junkie,i wona have my money back!!!!:crazy::rant::wtf:

Back
Top Bottom