1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What TT's do you folks have

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Grumpy, Jun 22, 2002.

1. ampex6973

ampex6973 New Member

I have a Rega Pllanar 3 w/ rb303 arm and a Grado cartridge.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. grundigger

grundigger AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just bought a demo WT Simplex from Brian at Whetstone Audio here in Austin at lunchtime today. It came with an Ortofon Black, which I'll thrash so I can justify what I ultimately want to run on the Simplex: a London Decca Super Gold! I also bought a cool lesser-touted phono stage, a Sugden A21SE Phono Two. I never even knew Sugden made phono stages. What I don't know is vast.

BTW, Brian was playing some jazz on a P3 with an Ortofon Blue through a big 805 Line Magnetic amp into Harbeth 30.1s. That sounded pretty, pretty, pretty good.

3. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Please don't thrash the Ortofon Black! :no:

4. the_nines

the_nines AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice Thorens!

Welcome.

Quidjay likes this.
  5. grundigger

grundigger AK Subscriber Subscriber

:p When I get a chance to listen to it, I hope to be humbled and appreciative.

6. signman

signman New Member

Me: U-Turn Orbit Black w/ onboard Pluto Preamp and a Grado Green Cartridge
    U-Turn Orbit Maple w/ a Grado Black Cartridge

The Wife: Denon DP-15F w/ an Audio Technica AT-91 Cartridge

Had a Denon DP-51F, loved it, let it go due to to many computer board issues, Bought the U-Turns and never looked back. Love em to death. Great american made quality tables at a phenomenal price point. Don't judge them till you've tried one.

will1960 likes this.

7. SLTHORP

SLTHORP AK Subscriber Subscriber

The only issue I have is that audio does not sound right to my ear, too much mid-range overpowering the highs and lows. I assumed that a 45 year old capacitor should be replaced and could be causing poor audio just like old capacitors in a speaker. The capacitor I mentioned is the only one the TT has and if it is for power I will leave it. Maybe the cartridge and needle is causing the poor souind?

8. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock

More than likely yes - you will see the tonearm wires going directly from the base of the arm to the RCA and / or DIN outputs on the turntable, they don't pass through any capacitors. There could be other factors affecting audio quality such as tonearm balance and cartridge alignment (plus correct anti-skating setup). Have you followed the many online guides to get the turntable set up properly - it could be something relatively simple that is causing the problem.

The only time where capacitors could be a factor is if the turntable had a built-in preamp. In that situation, old caps would be somewhere in the signal path and it would be worthwhile to replace them.

9. kachijs

kachijs New Member

Technics SL-QX300

bigx5murf likes this.
  10. Susie Peat

Susie Peat New Member

I have an Lt 30 with diamond needle any idea what I can sell it for?

11. Susie Peat

Susie Peat New Member

12. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

I see you are a new member. Welcome to AK.
    Dollars and Sense is the proper place to ask about value. It would probably be a good idea to read the rules at the top of the main forum.

FileFixer and drtool like this.
  13. Billabigail

Billabigail New Member

I am going way out on a limb here, but I think that important piece of information is that the rating is "AC125V". These were used commonly across the "on/off" switch to stop the "pop" when the turntable was turned on or off. Therefore it is not in the signal path while being across the "on/off" switch. Might pay to replace any way as the "pop" can be quite loud.

14. Billabigail

Billabigail New Member

While I am here, I will chime in on what turntables I have. I no longer have one of these turntables, but I sure wish that I did. I lost it in a divorce.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pe...Wood-Grain-Player-Amplifier-USA-/132438123066

Here we are going back to pre-1964. This person, Bill Peacock, was friends with Paul Weathers, among others. The world of audio was so different at that time. Stereo was new and the world of the hobby of audio was small. This unit was the third iteration of his design ideas. The previous units used a walnut wood tone arm for the low resonance of the wood. This unit, with the aluminum arm, would tack at 1 gram and at a 45 degree angle.
    My favorite was the Stanton 681 EEE S in this turntable. I never tracked any cartridge above 1 gram in this turntable, and there were a few different cartridges in my turntable.

The turntable in the picture is "not quite" what they looked like when they were shipped new. That is understandable due to the age.
    I speak with all the pride that any son can have, as he was my father.

welcomdmat likes this.
  15. marc-r

marc-r New Member

Hallo there , i am new on this forum and from Holland / Europe, is there a ''parts wanted '' on this site ? need dustcover for a DP60L ,thanks !

Jnevill likes this.
  16. J U Stone

J U Stone Active Member

I have 2, a Project 6.1 (not RPM 6.1) with a Jelco tonearm and Pickering XV-15/625 cartridge. My backup is a Phillips 312 with a modified platter. I added some sound deadening tape inside the platter. .. and replaced the original mat with a heavy rubber NAD mat. It made a big difference in sound quality. The cart for that is being replaced...

17. BetaMaster64

BetaMaster64 New Member

Currently have a Technics SL-D2 for my bedroom,
    Garrard LAB-80 MK II for the basement,

and in storage,
    a Technics SL-Q200 and
    Pioneer PL-112D.

I also have two BSR 200 BAX turntables that I'd like to toss out the window. Those things are nothing but trouble. I only bought them for the cartridges, anyway.

18. alchemist

alchemist New Member

Marantz TT240
    B&O 3004
    Onkyo CP-1022A

19. JohnnyNapalm

JohnnyNapalm Member

Rega Planar 3 from the eighties. Just changed the cart to a Ortofon Bronze and have been blown away by the step up in playback. Now considering changing to a different TT or carry on down the upgrade route.

20. Katattack

Katattack Member

Panasonic SL-42
    Just purchased
    Sounds pretty nice!