What TT's do you folks have

Technics SL-D303 Direct Drive purchased Brand New in 1981 , Audio Technica VM740ML ( micro line

View attachment 1117213

Just had this Audio Technica VM740ML mounted on my head shell , had the tonearm balanced and had my TT serviced and the results are FANTASTIC!!

A new cart makes a huge difference. I found that out when I finally decided to upgrade mine. I have a Kenwood KD 2055. When I bought the table it came with Audio Technica AT11e and as a Newb I just stuck with that until I started reading forums on here and realized maybe I should upgrade. Decided to upgrade headshell and all. Went with the Ortofon SH-4 w/Red stylus and wow my records came to life. I had the first two Sabbath albums that were my dads that were unplayable before. With the upgrade, they actually play and sound great. Nice table! Enjoy!

A new cart makes a huge difference. I found that out when I finally decided to upgrade mine. I have a Kenwood KD 2055. When I bought the table it came with Audio Technica AT11e and as a Newb I just stuck with that until I started reading forums on here and realized maybe I should upgrade. Decided to upgrade headshell and all. Went with the Ortofon SH-4 w/Red stylus and wow my records came to life. I had the first two Sabbath albums that were my dads that were unplayable before. With the upgrade, they actually play and sound great. Nice table! Enjoy!
Thank you for the reply and kudos to your ortofon SH-4. I have a very important question that I hope you can answer for me. The Audio Technica has a tracking specification of 1.8 - 2.2 g ( 2.0 g standard ) the guy that mounted the cartridge and set everything , set the counter weight and anti-skate at 1.7 grams , if the specs say 1.8 - 2.2 ( 2.0 g standard ) where would you suggest I set the weight at/ please give me your input because I know how important this aspect is involving the maximum performance from a cartridge and the affect it has on a record collection that can't be replaced. Thank you!! Hope to hear something soon.

A new cart makes a huge difference. I found that out when I finally decided to upgrade mine. I have a Kenwood KD 2055. When I bought the table it came with Audio Technica AT11e and as a Newb I just stuck with that until I started reading forums on here and realized maybe I should upgrade. Decided to upgrade headshell and all. Went with the Ortofon SH-4 w/Red stylus and wow my records came to life. I had the first two Sabbath albums that were my dads that were unplayable before. With the upgrade, they actually play and sound great. Nice table! Enjoy![/QUOTE

I have had these 3 albums since " Brand New " in 1979-1980 and since listening to them with my new cartridge ATVM740ML , I'm hearing instruments , percussion , separation , detail , warmth & smoothness that I've NEVER heard before. I'm also noticing that the more I use this cartridge , the better the sound is getting. Re-listened to a couple albums today that sounded considerably better than when I first listened to them yesterday on the first run at listening to this cartridge. I think I'm beginning to understand what a lot of you in this forum have referred to " Break In " time!!20180218_160900.jpg

How many hours is typical for a new cartridge to " Break In " and get 100% " In the Groove " and offer it's maximum performance? I've got approximately 5 1/2 hours so far.

In a momentary moment of madness, I had given my entire audio system away to a friend a few years ago for free. Later, I got it back, minus the turntable, but otherwise intact. I needed a TT replacement and about that time my brother-in-law had one he was about to take to Goodwill. He gave it to me as a (temp) until I could find another I liked. I liked this one so much I still have it and have not bought another. The TT is not a 'high-end' one, but it is a solid performer and really all I need anymore: a Denon DP-7f automatic. I like the fact that I can control the functions with the dust cover down. The performance is adequate to my Pioneer 780 receiver and the speakers I now have so....it's what I have until I find another Pioneer to replace it
Keeping the dust out of your controls must have some benefit i would think.

Thank you for the reply and kudos to your ortofon SH-4. I have a very important question that I hope you can answer for me. The Audio Technica has a tracking specification of 1.8 - 2.2 g ( 2.0 g standard ) the guy that mounted the cartridge and set everything , set the counter weight and anti-skate at 1.7 grams , if the specs say 1.8 - 2.2 ( 2.0 g standard ) where would you suggest I set the weight at/ please give me your input because I know how important this aspect is involving the maximum performance from a cartridge and the affect it has on a record collection that can't be replaced. Thank you!! Hope to hear something soon.

I’m not a professional but from what I’ve read, and if everything is balanced correctly, You should keep it close to standard specs (2.0). 1.7 is really light and seems like it wouldn’t set in the groove like it should maybe sacrificing some audio. Also increasing the chance of skipping.

How many hours is typical for a new cartridge to " Break In " and get 100% " In the Groove " and offer it's maximum performance? I've got approximately 5 1/2 hours so far.

Now that I’m not sure of. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on this

I’m not a professional but from what I’ve read, and if everything is balanced correctly, You should keep it close to standard specs (2.0). 1.7 is really light and seems like it wouldn’t set in the groove like it should maybe sacrificing some audio. Also increasing the chance of skipping.
Thank you for getting back to me and answering my question , I really appreciate it.

Now that I’m not sure of. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on this
Hey , I did some research and although it varies depending on what cartridge you're using , the consensus is , it takes around 30-50 hours of use before a cartridge is fully dialed in. I'm only at 7 hours , however , can hear a difference now versus my first play on Saturday. Happy Spinnin!!!

Keeping the dust out of your controls must have some benefit i would think.
You know, I never thought bout that. I am always worrying about dust in the controls of my receiver, but the TT? No reason why they wouldn't be just as important to keep clean. In the case of the Denon, I should probably buy a can of the air spray people use on their lap-tops, with a wand to direct the hp air. But I've never noticed any issue with it in the years that i've had it. Good point, tho.

just upgraded to the new SL 1200 GR up from a VPI Traveler. Sounds simply amazing.
pmxd612Jj

pnT2Y0cGj

Back
Top Bottom