What TT's do you folks have

(2) Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002.
1 brand new when purchased in 1980 to replace my original 1977 one that was stolen during a break in
The second one I bought in 1981 damaged, and I repaired it for a upgrade gift to my father`s stereo system.

They sit unused and carefully stored, because I went over to CD`s in the late eighties, & the needle and cartridge are integral and are nearly impossible to find brand new, and would cost a fortune, so there is no desire for me to return to problematic physical media any more..
Though, in the mid seventies through the mid eighties this turn table served me very well and I had hundreds, of in pristine condition, records, with even a CBS Laboratories technical series STR 100 test record, 10 MHz dual channel oscilloscope, reasonably decent Tasco student/hobby microscope, & Disc Washer Zerostat kit for keeping the TT running properly and my records sounding the best they could with as minimal wear as possible..

Nobody was loaned, nor allowed to play any of my records, except my live in Girl friend, after she was suitably trained !!
I had to teach, and allow her, after all, she did share my bed, and if she managed to some how scratch a record with a perfectly operating linear tracking TT, then she simply replaced the record !! Though it never happened !!

One of my long time friends was suitably impressed with my care, and cleanliness of my record playing, sound reproduction, that he went and spent, for the time, serious money, and bought me the MFSL half speed mastering of PF`s DSOTM in 1981..
No more record playing for me..

FWIW, OKB

I have 5 turntables but only these 2 in my main system:

This was once a Rega RP6 but after I modified it, all that remains is the dust cover (see next pic)...
gREC35P.jpg

& Technics SL-1200G...

q7N5jjn.jpg

0WmSqWq.jpg
how do you like the achromat vs. the stock mat on your G?

The Achromat sounds more 'alive'.....music pace & timing is a slower & duller with the stock rubber mat. I also tried cork & leather but these also seemed to suck a little life out of the music.

I don't use a clamp or record weight on the SL1200G for similar reasons. However, on my Rega turntable I do sometimes prefer a medium weight clamp.

Presently, I have 4 tables in the house. All are hooked up and in use.

Dual 1229 (restored in 2011 by AKer Bohhey) with a Denon DL-303
Thorens TD160 Super (restored in 2011 by AKer ehoove) with a Sonus Gold Blue
Music Hall mmf-5.1 (bought new in 2007) with a Goldring 1042 and acrylic platter
Technics SL-D303 (paid $20 in 2011) with a NOS Signet TK5Ea in my son's room

Update: I still have the Dual and the Music Hall, although it now has a Goldring 1012GX back on it, and I added a Music Hall Cuise Control. The 1042 stylus is worn. The Thorens was sold to an AK member and my son moved out and took the SL-D303 with him.
I've since added an Optonica RP-7705 with an Audio Technica AT3500S Cartridge and ATS12S stylus, and also a Technics SL-D2 with an Audio Technica AT15XE.

Turntables...well, how many? Let me stop and think about them as after I sold my first TT (35 years old crappy Technics) to a friend I purchased a Rega at first and then started an insane chase for the "next turntable". Here they are in chronological order of acquisition:

- Rega Planar 3 (15 y.o. 12V motor version) with Elys cart
- Thorens TD160 with SME 3009 S2 Improved/Shure V15 III Jico SAS stylus
- Technics SL-1800 mark I with Sumiko BPS
- Kenwood KD-500 with SME 3009 Series II/Denon 103R
- Taya (CEC made) with Micro Seiki MA-202/Sumiko Talisman S
- Denon DP-5000 with Micro Seiki MA-202L/Dynavector DV10x5 and SME 3012/Denon 103R
- Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4000
- last recent score Sony PS-6750 100% original parts and accessories with bonus SME shell and another Shure V15 III with its original stylus still working(!)

In addition I have several other vintage Shure and Stanton cartridges in need of a new stylus, as well as new Grado and Audio Technica which I alternate in my turntables.

Just added a beginner table for the wife. SL-2000 from eBay. Ended up being a freebie after it arrived damaged. Damage repaired. Gonna throw a Ortofon Omega on it for now. Came with an Empire 999 te/x. Got a replacement styli on the way for it to compare and see which one sounds best.
FFB0F823-7AAB-4E21-9CFA-6D1A484DDCC7.jpeg 09350689-FC57-489E-BA2F-12823105A5D8.jpeg 231E273D-975F-4BC7-8C05-40C7FB4E6E57.jpeg

Seven turntables here as of today, but only using two, ‘till I get around to massaging a couple of those that need it.
Playing as I peck this message, is my trusty Rega Planar 3, which I bought new in ‘87. Got a fresh, NOS AT13Ea on it right now.
Another I’ve been using is a Systemdek IIX with the Sumiko S arm, and an AT-LS500 on it. Nice sounding combo, except for some motor rumble; time for a new motor, me thinks.
Got two AR XA’s put away somewhere, both needing some attention; not sure where one of ‘em is, but they’re both here somewhere. Recently picked up an old JVC Nivico semi-automatic for my brother-in-law who’s been whining that he gave me his junky turntable and records 25 years ago, and now he wants to hear records again.. He didn’t give it to me, but I felt sorry for him, and bought the Nivico to gift.
Recently picked up two old Empires; a 208 with the 98 arm, and a nice first version 598. The 598 still need a little rubbing on, but I’ll leave it stock. Just need to polish the plexi dust cover bits, then replace the belt and motor mount rubber.
The 208 may be a “restomod”, receiving a different arm, or maybe, I’ll just mod the 98 arm to accept a common style headshell. Oddly, the 208/98 (a 298, I guess), is in pretty nice shape as far as not being oxidized, all except for the headshell loosing its plating.
Anyway, 7 turntables here at the moment. Time to flip the record -

One of my vintage tables, Garrard DD75, in action! My other vintage platter, the Dual, is being serviced. Can't wait for that one to come back.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 60
I have a Rega Planar 3 (early model) with a Mayware Formula IV arm and Denon Dl-160.

I just finished restoring an ELAC 10 with a Shure M44-7 cart.

Phono preamp is a Project Box S.

I also have two carts not being used. A Pickering U38 and a Shure V15 III with out a stylus.

Investigating a 2nd phono stage dedicated for the ELAC that will give a flat response for 78rpm. But also be worthy of playing Lps (at the flip of a switch).

It's lovely! I regret the sale of my MMT.
I had been looking to upgrade from the MMT. Now I've decided that I have it pretty good. In order to assuage the guilt I feel for my infidelity I've ordered my baby a new carbon fiber headshell. I know she'll forgive me.

_3270144.jpg
Finally home after serviced by a friend, thorens 124+audio technica 1005 MkII+ denon 103r in orsonic headshell,
Completing with my triumvirate: garrard 401+early schick arm & spu gme+sme v & lyra kleos
and finally garrard 301+sme 3012 arm&naked dl103 (early posted)

Last edited:
Yes Joseph, my patience was rewarded and very happy with the outcome. The bonus part was i finally heard his
altec 755 on an open baffle and his single plate 2a3 amp.

Back
Top Bottom