What TT's do you folks have

Thanks for the comments, I hope that it won't be much longer here, but between work and a few other "life" things keeping me busy, as well as the search for the right phono stage, it certainly has delayed things a bit. It will come together at some point.

As a note though, I have listened to it for a bit, as I had borrowed a couple of phono stages a month or so ago, and had the table set up on a temporary basis. Good enough though to "hear" what it may be capable of. Very solid bass, and also the midrange was quite exceptional, taking I am using an entry level cartridge to boot. I do think better setup/isolation which is the plan, will make things even better. The phono stage that I had for the longest amount of time was a Croft tube stage, simple, tubes, MM only, probably worked well with the Nagaoka MP110 that I have, and really made vocals etc. sound very nice.

More to come in due time, just don't hold your breath, it might be longer than I want it to be!

PS-I should take the Lehmann Decade phono stage off my sig. line, as that was going to be the stage, but the deal fell through at the time, and I have not bothered to change it. The Lehmann is still a potential choice though, but I am leaning more towards a tubed stage, it all comes down to the system approach, what sounds best!

I am impressed by the variety and quality of members' turntables. Not bad for a format that has been declared dead on several occasions.
Yes, but we don't represent a very large portion of the public at large, whereas if this were the '70s we would. Interest in audio (not just turntables) has been on the wane since the '90s.

I've changed the appearance of my B&O by applying red vinyl (foam backed) on the black slab sides (see post # 7243) where it appears the previous owner had removed the veneer. It will stay this way as long as the tape stays but will be easy to change. I was looking for some 1" rosewood veneer but had no luck. The LP is AMERICA "Homecoming."
IMG_0382dxo.jpg
IMG_0380dxo.jpg

Last edited:
CC15C4C8-595E-4EF8-AE79-B32FF84C9845.jpeg 9FE70AF3-B589-4D8E-9CD9-024D5040AFE8.jpeg C98246B7-3625-433F-9473-A67BC253F81C.jpeg

A little more work done on the Holbo turntable install. Worked on the stand Friday, and table, air pump-barely visible on lower shelf set. More leveling and arm adjustments to come. I do not like the location of table/stand right now, but it will have to do for now.

Phono stage and cover, and probably a mini light to come in due time!

I have been away from vinyl for about 15 years and recently got the itch. Back in June I spotted a 1980s Sony PS-LX22 on CL. It was pretty dusty -- looked like it had been in a closet for years -- but in surprisingly good cosmetic shape, even the cover looked good with mostly light surface scratches. The tonearm rest was cracked. The guy only wanted $20 so I figured, 'What the heck?' Got it home, cleaned it up, polished the lid, and checked/adjusted the speed per the online service manual I found on hifiengine.com. (There's a great app called RPM.) Found a PS-350 tonearm rest on eB, which only needed some slight modification to fit. Bought a new AT95E for $40 and set it up using the free alignment protractor on vinylengine.com.

All this to say there are still some great TT deals out there, and there are a bunch of free resources for audio buffs, including this forum. Over the last 3 months I have acquired 100+ used LPs at nearby garage sales, record shops and online. Perhaps it is because I grew up with LPs, but I find I am listening to music more intently now than I did with my CD/SACD collection or streaming Tidal. (But I would not give those up, it's all about choices, right?) Life is good!

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 66
Hello everbody, I have a sony psx60 was wandering about a Vintage PICKERING V-15 micro IV Cartridge and IV AC Stylus W/ Bonus N890E Stylus, would this be a good cartridge for it

Hi all!
Just getting back into listening to vinyl and enjoying a vintage (fleamarket find) system:

Dual 1225 turntable (Tonar DMS200 stylus)
Basic noname phono preamp
Tandberg TR200 amp
Tandberg TL1610 speakers

Attachments

• 1225.jpg
    1225.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 59
Heres a short list of mine.

Thorens TD145MK
Thorens TD160
Garrard AT6
Marantz 6100
Marantz 6200
Marantz 6300
Technics SL-D2
Technics 1301

I have a few others but they are just sitting on shelves. My Favs are the Thorens Obviously followed very closely by the AT6. I have had my SL-D2 for more years than I care to admit and it has served me very well. I had to retire it to the shelf when one of the kids got to it with a marker. Lets just say I was not a happy camper at all !!!! some day I hope to have a Mitchel Gyro Deck. and maybe even an Oracle. For now I am very content with my small collection.

Dave
Well, let's see, I have a D e non dp47f, a Technics slq2 and an slq303, a Pioneer pl12d, a Gemini sl1200 clone ( a really underrated table, by the way, which sounds better than either of my Technics, which sound very good) and is essentially the same as the audio technica and Denon clones. I also have a pretty big collection of carts, including Grados, stantons, Pickerings, and Shures. My current favorite is the V15RS, essentially a V15X. I use the phon o preamp on an old AND 1020, then an HK Citation 25 and it sounds great!
Heres a short list of mine.

Thorens TD145MK
Thorens TD160
Garrard AT6
Marantz 6100
Marantz 6200
Marantz 6300
Technics SL-D2
Technics 1301

I have a few others but they are just sitting on shelves. My Favs are the Thorens Obviously followed very closely by the AT6. I have had my SL-D2 for more years than I care to admit and it has served me very well. I had to retire it to the shelf when one of the kids got to it with a marker. Lets just say I was not a happy camper at all !!!! some day I hope to have a Mitchel Gyro Deck. and maybe even an Oracle. For now I am very content with my small collection.

Dave

View attachment 1298154
A little more work done on the Holbo turntable install. Worked on the stand Friday, and table, air pump-barely visible on lower shelf set. More leveling and arm adjustments to come. I do not like the location of table/stand right now, but it will have to do for now.

I'm not familiar with your turntable, but that's a very handsome looking turntable and tonearm. I imagine it sounds good too.

I'm still using a Technics SL-Q200 I bought new in 1983, but having my interest in listening to vinyl reignited a couple of years ago, I'm thinking about an upgrade to a SL-1200GR or a Pioneer PLX-1000.

Go with SL-1200GR (or something similar, hifi-oriented). Pioneer is a Chinese-made Technics look-alike for DJs.

Thanks for the advice. I've read lots about both and am aware of the differences in build quality. Still trying to justify the 1200gr at an extra grand.

I'm not familiar with your turntable, but that's a very handsome looking turntable and tonearm. I imagine it sounds good too.

Thank you, much appreciated! It is a fairly new table from Slovenia, made its US debut at RMAF this year with High Water Sounds room. The table is very well built, and the company owner, Bostjan Holc excellent to work with.

I had purchased the table direct from Holbo around May time frame before there was any US distributor, and had been in talks with designer for over a year prior to purchase. And yes, it does sound very good with what little time and inexpensive cartridge I have on it right now. Between borrowing phono stages getting a feel for what I may get, I am anxious to get it all together.

I have always liked linear air bearing arms, and this one is seemingly a simpler, easier design, yet incorporates both an air bearing arm and platter. How much each one contributes to its sound is hard to say, but I like what I have heard from it so far! More fun ahead!

Back
Top Bottom